Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd TEAM MD-- MHP TRANSFORMATION CHALLENGE

thanks sally, i appreciate it, your looking great!

Quote Originally Posted by oneriptide View Post

To View My Transformation Photos Please Visit The Link Below.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563859944LylZgF

this link is not working....................
    I'm workin on getting better K!!!

My intention for divulging personal information about myself is not for pity or empathy, it is only to illustrate the adversities I have experienced leading me to bodybuilding, and how bodybuilding has assisted me in overcoming my emotional and physical impediments to become the man I am today, culminating in the ability to dream for who I will become.
    All through middle school, and high school I played baseball, basketball and soccer, depending on my interest that year. I have always been athletic, and competitive. While my friends and even my brother would go out drinking, I would refrain as I knew drinking would impact my game. I was a dedicated athlete.

My junior year I was running sprint drills with my soccer team, and remember slowing down just after completing a run and felt a severe pressure, and tenderness in my lower back. I was later told my L3/L4 disk had ruptured, and within two weeks a micrtodiskectomy was performed removing the ruptured material.

I was bed-ridden for six weeks, and later went through four weeks of therapy. I missed the trip of a life time as my team went to Europe without me. I fell into a depression that would haunt me for the next seven years.
    Flash forward two years, and you will have found my depression had done a significant amount of damage to my life. I dropped out of high school and took a menial job. I spent my money on drugs and alcohol, took up smoking cigarettes, lived at home, and was the stereotypical loser. I was suicidal, but was always just strong enough to not give up entirely.

During this time I ruptured the same disk I had previously, my L3/L4. Again, I had a microdiskectomy. This time I missed my then girlfriend’s prom, and her crowning as the Prom Queen, which truly hurt and embarrassed me. Even though I had given up all hope, within one week I had walked a mile on my own in the neighborhood I lived in.

Ultimately, I chose to escape from life’s pain by drinking, smoking marijuana, taking acid, mushrooms…anything I could get my hands on, this pace continued for years. I lost my girlfriend due to my addiction, my family was terrified and made countless interventions to no avail. Finally I admitted myself in to a two-week long rehab, followed by three months of out-patient services. I relapsed for several years, and later admitted to myself to a rehab in Nashua, New Hampshire for two weeks, again followed by out-patient services. Counseling had been a constant in my life since the age of seventeen.

Still, I continued to exorcise my demons with drugs and alcohol, that is until lost in a game of chicken with a pine tree and crashed my Mother’s car travelling at 55 miles per hour and never having tapped the breaks. I injured two of my friends, who both now wear scars on their heads, though luckily no one died as none of us were wearing seat belts.

I was charged with two Class A felonies of ‘Assault with a deadly weapon’ due to the injuries my friends sustained, carrying a minimum of 5 years each. I was fortunate to receive a lesser sentence and served 31 days in jail. I was a changed man after this brush with not only my death, but my friends. In many ways, the man I was died when I hit that tree.

Since eleven years of age I have had a desire to build my body. I remember vividly doing leg extensions on my brothers Weider bench station, and seeing veins in my legs, and feeling tightness never before experienced. I was the first boy in my school to have abs at the age of thirteen.

Remembering a path that I felt had been taken from me, I longed for my previous self and undertook the monumental struggle of regaining myself.
    I quit smoking cigarettes, which allowed me to quit smoking marijuana. Months later this improved my motivation. Alcohol was completely off limits for me at this point in my life, and I used bodybuilding as my deterrent. I began this new path at twenty-four, and was truly dedicated, keeping workout logs, and a dietary log to ensure proper intake of my macronutrients. I went from 170 pounds, to 230 pounds in one year, and was the strongest ever in my life.

I continued to train for four years before rupturing my L4/L5 disk doing deadlifts with 365 pounds in a 5x5 set format. 365 pounds may not seem like a lot, but that was after only six weeks of doing them. I remember being in my fourth set, third rep when I had lifted the bar several inches from the ground when I thought someone had slapped my right gluteus. I racked the weight by taking off the plates, then foolishly thinking I had pulled my hamstring, walked from the gym to a pharmacy, purchased Ben-Gay then coated my entire right ass cheek and hamstring down to the knee, and resumed my back workout with weighted chins…which was not the choice of a sane individual I now realize.

Luckily, surgery was not necessary. I attribute this without question to bodybuilding. I never gave up. I was no longer my former self. I missed only four days of work, and two weeks of the gym. I walked as much as I possibly could…well more like shuffled. By the time my second orthopedic appointment was scheduled, I nearly cancelled it, but went instead to discuss my progress with my orthopedic surgeon. He agreed that because of my previous condition, and continuing to walk and not stay bed-ridden even though I was in excruciating pain, I healed at an accelerated rate. I hardly lost any strength once I resumed lifting a few weeks later, of course limiting myself to certain moves. Today I am capable of squatting 315 pounds with no discomfort, after rupturing my L3/L4 twice, and my L4/L5 once.

Today, I stand 5’9” or 10”, and weigh 220 pounds. I have a very thorough understanding of bodybuilding and nutrition, thanks in part to Muscular Development, to which I have never subscribed (I don’t want to think about the cost of doing that!) but still have every issue for the past six years. In fact, now that I have moved out of my Mom’s house and she is considering moving, I told her she could throw away anything she comes across, but not my MD magazines! I also have overcome my depression, which I believe is due to my training. I work full-time and have recently ended my second semester at a community college in New York.

The knowledge I have gained has not only benefited me. Teaching others about nutrition, especially those I love, has brought me much happiness. I have written dietary and exercise plans for several friends, many did not have desire to carry out their intention, which truly upsets me as I know they could be successful in transforming their bodies if they only persevered. An example of this is a buddy that works in my office, I took him into the conference room and filled a whiteboard four times over as he took notes on diet and exercise. I am proud to say that ten weeks later he has lost fifty pounds of fat, and he is still going strong. Seeing how his stride has increased when walking around the office, and how his mood has improved is thanks enough.

I feel that considering the base that I have constructed over the years, my experience and understanding of training, established dedication to meal timing, including weighing all my foods, as well as my experience with Dave’s diet techniques as I have employed his ketogenic diet (minus the cheat meals! I didn’t know I could eat cheat meals! I had not joined the forums at this point) for five weeks with good success (before I freaked out and thought I was disappearing!), that I deserve to be one of the next contestants involved in Muscular Development’s Transformation Challenge, sponsored by MHP and take my physique, and my mind to the next level. It is time I no longer be a spectator in this life. I have worked too hard, for too long, and this goal of constantly improving my physique will be realized, though I am lost. I fail to make the gains I see in my mind. I need someone to help me analyze my diet and training routine, so that I can bring my physique to the next level. I have never had any assistance in my bodybuilding endeavors, partnering with MHP, Dave Palumbo, and the Muscular Development team will bring me that much closer to actualizing my dream, and will be the experience of a lifetime for me.

I am currently an active member of the MD Forums, and considering the nature of some of my posts, I would prefer to remain anonymous until I am chosen to participate in MHP’s Transformation Challenge.

If you made it through this plea, thank you!

I've been a lurker here for a while, and have pieced together a lot from the nutritional and transformation sub forums.

I've been a heavy guy all my life and topped out at 287... i've been bouncing the needle on the scale through 215 and 240 for the last four years, and am currently 208lbs

pics

I was really moved by the most recent transformation challenge, helping bring my body and mind to its current level, and would be honored if selected to be a participant in this next installment of the MHP Transformation Challenge.

What I'm looking for... I'm in a rut (job changes, recent passing of father in law and my grandmother, and lack of progress with my training)... been doing the same type of dieting and training... and getting the same blah results... I'm looking to be in a competitive environment to further motivate me to bring out my true potential.. looking for the guidance in creating a training and nutritional program that would maximize my results, and unleash my inner Road Warrior (yes... life long wrestling fan).

I've never applied for anything like this before. However, I've never been prepared for something like this before now. Thank you for your consideration, and best of luck to all participants.

My photos...this was really difficult for me to do! I won't even take my shirt off at the beach! I have NO experience with formal posing.

http://picasaweb.google.com/MammothMonkey

does anyone know if dave has selected the luck groups?

i dont believe so. I took a look at the last transformation and it looked like he put the chosen few in a regular post like this one.

Default Don't call it a comback!!!

Here is my story........
    I spent 10 years in the gym. Starting in powerlifting, and switching to bodybuilding in 2000. I hit the gym every week without missing a workout, or a meal for about 9 years. Competed in powerlifting, and got up on stage 5 times too.
    In 2004, I did 3 bodybuilding shows. After my third, i married my wife a week later. Later that year we settled into our first house. Thing were moving along, and we had a opportunity to build a new house in 2005. I also had the opportunityto do alot of the work myself while i also worked full time as a carpenter. As the construction progressed, i spent every spare hour working on the house. My bodybuilding habits that i had stuck to for so long fell by the wayside.Two months before we moved in we found out we were pregnant. This is after two years of various fertility drugs, and the ups and downs that go with it.
    Finally in January of 2006 we moved in to our new house, and i did not have to work 80 hrs a week. Unfortunately, two months later, my wife delivered our unborn child at 4 1/2 months. We were devastated.
    The very next week, i was fortunate enough to find a new job as a superintendent with a construction company. I thought this would be a good thing. Well i worked, and worked, and worked. Late, long hours trying to get this company to be profitable. The gym, and my old bodybuilding habit were put on the back burner once again.
    Three years of getting up every morning. Get in the shower. Get out, and shake my head at what i have become. It seems a depression i can't get away from.
    I think this challenge would light a fire under me that I have needed for sometime.
    Thank you for your consideration!!

SHOW PICS.........
    Attached Images Attached Images

I cannot believe i am even posting these. Looking at these makes my skin crawl! But it is about time i do something about it, and i think this could just be the thing i need to turn the tables!!
    Last edited by sonis9; June 26th, 2008 at 01:04 AM.

Default I want to challenge myself!!

Hi my name is Jerry, and my story goes like this. I'm 24 years old, 6'1" 334 lbs. I've always been the big guy, and by that I mean the FAT guy. Ever since I can remember I've been over weight, but managed to stay somewhat active, playing basketball and other sports.

Then college came, and with me came 298 lbs. I had decided I would not gain the freshman 15 (lbs), and was determined to get in shape, after all a gym membership was included in my tuition. And so I did, from 2003-2004 I was in the best shape of my life. Obviously I wasted most of my time at the gym doing things improperly (I wasn't a MD reader just yet). So I managed to lose about 50 lbs, not knowing the ratio of fat to muscle lost, but I didn't care back then, mostly because I was ignorant. I was finally 245 lbs, yay!

Because of my obesity, I was never able to be confident with the ladies, and therefore was lonelier than a hot dog with no bun. After getting in shape my confidence rose significantly and finally after 20 years of solitude, I had my first girlfriend. Everything went fine, it turned out both of us had been battling obesity our whole lives but had managed to temporarily fix our problems. I say "temporarily," because that is exactly what is was - TEMPORARY!

After 2 years in this relationship and many many fast food meals under our belt, our run was finally over, with it came many good things and bad things. This year I'm a whole new man, but unfortunately I find myself in a worse position than before I started college. I am now 334 lbs, WOW!!! Once again my confidence is weak and I feel I have no hope whatsoever to regain it. Back in October of 2007, I discovered MD in the newsstands, I was mainly attracted to it by its hardcore feel. Since then I joined the forums and decided to do something about my physical fitness, researching Dave's ketogenic diet, supplements and recommended workouts. I started working out for a while, but then I got discouraged. It is June now, almost July, and I still haven't managed to be fitter.

I do promise you guys that whether or not I get selected for this challenge, I will get in shape no matter what. I just wanted to see if I could get a little extra help and motivation from the MD pros like Dave.

These are my pictures, as you can see, I have a lot of catching up to do! Thank you for your consideration.
    "Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right" -Henry Ford

Dedicated Noob

Thumbs up My Story

I have been stalling on this, but here goes. I am a BIG MD fan, love the mag, the hype at the Arnold- you guys are for real!! I have been working out for a while now, enjoying every second of it, and it wasn't until last year that the competition bug started to bite. I attended the Arnold, and one in New York at the auditorium (forget the name- the guy from Hawaii won) and decided to go for it. I trained, i dieted, i hit it hard, only thing, my shoulder started to act up- rotator cuff strain. So there went my plan last year. This year, I was at it again, I dieted, I did cardio, I hit the weights, and NOTHING happened!! My body just remained the same for three months, didn't gain a lb, didn't lose a lb. My belt buckle stayed in the same hole. Well, this knocked the wind out of my sails. Feeling discouraged and flat, I reached out to Mr. G. Sent him an email. I followed the last transformation, and really looked forward to the videos, especially the Mr. G characters at the end, and the "NEVER GIVE UP " part. Thanks Mr. G. Well, I was watching one episode, and he gave a shoutout to me over here in Bermuda!! (I saved that on my iPod and listen when needed )That, along with watching the people in the challenge doing their thing got me pumped. I re-tuned my brain, and got back in gear. I missed the timeline to get ready for the show, but am now doing it because love it.
    So why am I entering this essay? I have never been really able to dial in my body to get down to competition form. I have been trying Dave's diet from what I can piece together from the forums, but to have Dave, trainer of champions actually help me tune the diet up, and Mr. G. with the motivational talks, and the positivity of the brothers and sisters in iron from this forum, I figure I can't go wrong The great thing about this challenge is the fact that, even if not picked, you can still follow along.

height- 6'3"
    weight -301lbs

Quote Originally Posted by raggeddesign View Post
    My whole like I have been plagued with obesity. Through lots of determination I have managed to drop a considerable amount of weight in the last couple years (around 110lbs), but I'm not satisfied. I look at my progress pics and I still see major areas of improvement and I feel like the guidance and supplement assistance from this challenge is what I need to take my body to the next level, a level I have never been at, a level I can be proud of.

I have received compliments on my transformation already, however, I can honestly say that I feel with the guidance and supplements I'd receive from Dave P, MHP, and the others from this challange..."You haven't seen anything yet"

Here are my current pics for my entry.

Well I've been following the diet for about a week and a half now and its working great. I'm already under 190 pounds. Eating 6 meals a day is great and haven't had the urge to cheat once. I complete the workouts as described and try to do between an hour to 2 hours of cardio a day depending on work. You really don't realize the amount of JUNK you eat a day until you say NO. The only suppliments I have been using are muscle milk for the aloted protein shakes (w/o peanut butter) and NO shotgun since these were the suppliments I had before I began the diet. I plan to switch once I run out.
    Hope everyone is doing well and I will post pictures once the contestants are selected, if I'm selected or not.

Can people from the Uk enter? are you still taking entries? If so I'll take some pix

Whats the word on this contest?

2 weeks turned into a month already..

Quote Originally Posted by bndniron4evrgal View Post
    [/u][/i][/b]

this link is not working....................
    it's working now.....
    I'm workin on getting better K!!!

Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast