Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: MD Forum Leader Interview w/ NPC Judge Linda Wood-Hoyte

Default MD Forum Leader Interview w/ NPC Judge Linda Wood-Hoyte

MD Forum Leader Tammy Patnode Interviews NPC/IFBB Judge Linda Wood-Hoyte

Linda Wood-Hoyte is a National and International Bodybuilding champion with well over 20 years experience. Qualified personal trainer with demonstrated success delivering nutritional seminars and training techniques at sports conventions and shows. Currently serving as a National (NPC) and International (IFBB) judge and have been selected as a US delegate and judge to the World Universe Championship well respected professional in bodybuilding with the historical significance of still being competitive and strong at 65. A corporate executive with extensive management experience.

TP: After the Arnold Classic, Jim Manion sent a letter to the IFBB figure pros telling them to soften up. Is this look being rewarded at the national level as well?
    LWH: YES The same applies for the amateurs. There must be a distinction between figure , fitness and Bodybuilding.

TP: Does judging criteria change from jr shows to national shows for bodybuilding?
    LWH: No the judging is the same. However, the competitors degree of development/ contest readiness increases as they move through the various show levels.

TP: Is facial beauty considered when you are determining placing?
    LWH: In figure everything counts ,hair .makeup , physique , suits..

TP: What is your opinion on the current state of fitness?
    LWH: I personally love Fitness and I believe of the three disciplines for female competitors it is the hardest. I hope it continues to grow and with the new teen category I think it will.

TP: Could you possibly share some insight on the current trend of rewarding softer condition? Does this trend include bodybuilding?
    LWH:If you are again referring to the memo from Jim Manion to the Pro figure competitors that is all it addresses.

TP: When a judge tells a competitor she is too HARD, does that mean her body or her face?
    LWH: It means her body is too hard and usually that is a reference that could be made to a figure competitor who is too hard, vascular and /or muscular for the figure class.

:
    TP:There are rumors of a classic bodybuilding division. What are your thoughts?
    LWH. Sorry ,I have never heard of that rumor or what it is referring to.? If you know tell me.

TP:Has the idea of audience participation in voting ever been considered?
    LWH- I am assuming you are referring to participating in the judging results, if that is correct I have never heard of any discussion about that. However, I will say that the IFBB & NPC are professional sport organizations that govern the sport of bodybuilding , figure and fitness and we need to keep it professional .There are standard rules, procedures and regulations that must be adhered to compete , and judging rules and criteria that the athletes are measured against. We are not the American Idol of the Athletic world

TP: Why is it one look is rewarded in one part of the country but penalized in another?
    LWH:Tammy I am not sure what you mean by this. I have judged all around the country so I don’t know what look you are referring to that is being rewarded/ penalized in parts of the country. You can only judge the competitors on the stage the day of the contest. Sometimes everyone meets the standards and you just pick the best of the best and sometimes there is no one that means the standards so you try to pick who is closest to the standard or the most complete.

TP: What is your ideal look for a winning physique for figure? bodybuilding?
    LWH: To me the best examples of winning physiques for female bodybuilding are Lenda Murray and Juliette Bergman. They both had a lot of muscle but carried it gracefully , fantastic balance/ symmetry and great conditioning.
    For figure , I would go back to Rachel McLish, who was a bodybuilder in the late “nineteen seventies or early eighties. She was very shapely, firm and tight but was not hard and did not have a lot of definition but just had a well trained and toned body. The sport of bodybuilding has advanced so much the top competitors of years ago both male and female probably could not win a novice show in today’s world.

TP:If you personally could change something about the judging criteria, what would it be?
    LWH: Tammy you did not say what sport so I will say in general there is nothing I would change in any of them at this time .However, I would love to see added a best posing routine award for the Fitness category at all shows that have the Fitness class. I do think that would help maintain the growth of Fitness.

TP: What is the most challenging aspect of being a judge?
    LWH:It is indeed easier to compete than to judge. When you compete you are just worrying about yourself when you are judging you are concerned about the placing of everyone you judged based on the criteria. In addition you have to have the ability to communicate the rationale for your placings and give some feedback to competitors .

TP: What are your thoughts on the current state of womens bodybuilding since you have competed?

LWH:The same questions remain femininity vs. muscles ., nothing has changed and I don’t think it ever will. There will always be a segment of the population that doesn’t understand female bodybuilding but you have to move forward TO KEEP THE SPORT VIABLE.
    However, and I am sure there will be comments on what I am going to say because female bodybuilders are themselves part of the problem . Now what I am going to say does not apply to everyone so it is, if the shoe fits wear it statement. Many female bodybuilders do not present themselves in a professional manner such as other female athletes in other sports and this hinders the public perception of the sport..

Now Tammy that ends the questions you wanted me to answer but in closing I just want to say I used to be a competitive bodybuilder. However, I no longer compete but I will always be a bodybuilder in my heart . I love the sport .. I used to participate in track and field, swim, cycle, and dance. I always felt there wasn’t any sport I could not do if I wanted too but bodybuilding is the ultimate to me.. I may be 65 years old but if you asked me what do I do after I responded what my professional career is I will still say -“and I am a bodybuilder”!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sallyanne; July 7th, 2008 at 07:48 PM.
    Team-TammyFitness
    hersuppz.com code TAMMY

Good job, Tammy. I saw her at Jr Nats and I gotta say, no way that woman looks anywhere close to 65 yrs old! Amazing!

Bostonian living in Plano, TX - Go Red Sox!

Quote Originally Posted by tammyp View Post
    TP: What is your ideal look for a winning physique for figure? bodybuilding?

LWH: To me the best examples of winning physiques for female bodybuilding are Lenda Murray and Juliette Bergman. They both had a lot of muscle but carried it gracefully , fantastic balance/ symmetry and great conditioning.
    For figure , I would go back to Rachel McLish, who was a bodybuilder in the late “nineteen seventies or early eighties. She was very shapely, firm and tight but was not hard and did not have a lot of definition but just had a well trained and toned body. The sport of bodybuilding has advanced so much the top competitors of years ago both male and female probably could not win a novice show in today’s world.

very cool interview Tammy, thank you.

My question to her would be, if she thinks that Lenda and Juliette are the best examples of winning physiques, why have they not continued to validate that?

and her second statement (to say that the advancement of BB...) to me its the judges that are responsible for this. if you dont immediately nip in the bud a competitor that comes in freaked out for lack of a better term, then the standard is set, and continues to change.

i think one way to help this is go back to height classes for BB. you can be too big or too small under those guidelines. with weight classes the shortest widest guy who weighs the most is favored which sends the message just get big as possible.

just my $.02

Michael

Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

NJ for now:( Palm Coast Florida 2nd home:)

Default VICKI NIXON IFBB PRO BB

LINDA IS ONE OF MY HERO'S IN FEMALE BBING...SHES A CLASS ACT ALL THE WAY, SMART, BEAUTIFUL, & KIND. NOT TO MENTION...SHE HAS AN AWESOME PHYSIQUE!!! I STILL DONT BELIEVE SHES A DAY OVER 40!!!
    MUCHCO LOVE AND RESPECT GOES OUT TO LINDA!

Amateur Threat

65??!

I am so speechless, I cannot even finis