Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 10 of 110 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast

Thread: curtjames' training journal

Quote Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
    do you run or walk on the tread.

Quote Originally Posted by west View Post
    I'd wager a guess that he dances.
    Steve, I walk. However if you ever saw me dance, well, the movements are pretty much equivalent.

Dave Palumbo recommends a heart rate of 130 beats per minute or less for fat loss.

I have been looking at Max O-T training and that, I believe, encourages high intensity cardio for a brief period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by curtjames View Post
    Dave Palumbo recommends a heart rate of 130 beats per minute or less for fat loss.
    Shit, I do 130 or less all day sitting at my desk. I'm glad to know I'm burning that fat.

Shit, I do 130 or less all day sitting at my desk. I'm glad to know I'm burning that fat.
    Are there cupcakes on your desk? Because that would probably make a difference.

Regardless, if you're glad I'm glad.

Default Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Last workout's hang cleans did a number on my lower back. I visited the chiropractor today and hit the gym this evening. Last squat day saw squats with 225 and sets of 4, 4, and 3. Tonight I thought I'd up to 230 and get the same or better reps, but the lower back is still not right.

And thus ends the Crybaby Excuse SessionTM.

Watch all three minutes of the vid. Tha Magic is in those final three seconds!

Full workout later because, hey, those 15 seconds of typing would just take, uh, 15 seconds.

That car crash footage was hysterically placed. Man, I was struggling along with you on those first few sets...

Oh, good! haHA

I wasn't sure if anyone would "get" the car crash footage. It's a very good sign that you were amused. Seriously, west.

It was all lower back. I'm not sure about these hang cleans. I might lower the weight in those to avoid the problem. Squats > Cleans? That or lower my expectations on squats until I can do strong sets with 185 and 205.

Son of a...

Default Tuesday, August 12, 2008 (full workout)

Squat 230 x 1

Sucked. Lower back. Wah!

Raised pins two placings and did second set. If you look at the video and the squat rack, I didn't count the holes and so the safety rods or bars aren't parallel at all. They're crooked as HAAAAIIILL. lol

Squat 230 x 2

Also sucked.

Squat 185 x 6
    Chin ups (palms facing me) bodyweight x 7 (and 7/8th ) reps, 4
    Incline DB bench press 55# dumbbells x 10, 10
    Dumbbell swing w/ single 40# db x 20, 20

Curt, I screwed up the vid of my squat for you (the guy filming did ) so I didn't get it. basically I was going to show you the difference between squating with a close stance vs. a wide stance. I switched J up on that and both her knees and back are no longer issues and her form is greatly improved at heavy weight. I use a stance about 12" apart. hits quads more but I also find it easier to go deep. I'll get a vid up sometime to show you.

A 12-inch stance sounds about right. I grew up doing "Olympic squats"? My feet were planted about shoulder-width apart (and I have narrow shoulders ) and those puppies were ATTG. Of course I started with forty pounds on a Sears vinyl-covered weight set.

As always, I appreciate your comments and look forward to the training vid.

Default Thursday, August 14, 2008

Incline dumbbell bench presses 70# dbs x 3, 65# dbs x 5, 7
    45-degree back extension for 2 sets, bodyweight x 9, 9
    Face pull 40# x 15, 15

Nothing yesterday and dropped lunges today to recover from some mad-tweaking. Twinge in lower back and knee and forearms.

"Hey, mini-injuries!"

Quote Originally Posted by curtjames View Post
    A 12-inch stance sounds about right. I grew up doing "Olympic squats"? My feet were planted about shoulder-width apart (and I have narrow shoulders ) and those puppies were ATTG. Of course I started with forty pounds on a Sears vinyl-covered weight set.

As always, I appreciate your comments and look forward to the training vid.

bahh.... no way, I give your shoulders atleast 15" apart ...

Hey, I use to use the sears vinyl weights too.

I wish I still had that set. It was 110, concrete (I'm guessing) and covered in gold vinyl. A plastic sleeve over the bar and the collars had to be tightened with a tiny wrench as I recall. That might've been just the dumbbells. (Hey, it's more than 30 years ago. )

I've never owned an Olympic set, but York is less than an hour away and they have them for $99 I believe.

Got a PB yesterday. 110 for 4 on inc DB press. I was fucking thrilled (my chest has always been very average strength-wise).

Back to you on the main stage.

Got a PB yesterday. 110 for 4 on inc DB press. I was fucking thrilled (my chest has always been very average strength-wise).

Back to you on the main stage.
    That's two 110-pound dumbbells? Two 110-kilo dumbbells? Or 110 lbs. or kilos total?

I'm guessing you had two 110-pound dbs. Zoinks.

And "very average strength-wise" is a relative thing. I'd call that very impressive.

GTFO! You're not talking kilograms, are you???

Kilograms? I'm not sure if anyone could do that, but it would be nice.

I normally post lb because that's what people around here are used to.

Well, I had to ask.

Can't help but compare. Your 110# dbs x 4 and I've got 70# dbs x 3. So that's an additional forty freaking pound dumbbell in each hand for you and an extra rep! Nice work.

A 110 kilo db would be 220 + 22 = 232 lbs.

Was recently watching some Ronnie Coleman DVDs and I seem to recall him mentioning some 300# dbs in Hawaii. Crazy.

Not inclines, but they are 200 pounds. And for rrrrreps!

Plus check the attached pic taken at York Barbell. LIGHT WEIGHT, BABY!

"The centerpiece of the central, skylighted gallery of the Hall of Fame is the 7-foot Travis dumbbell weighing more than 1,600 pounds, named for the man who made it famous, Warren Lincoln Travis. Travis weighed only 180 pounds at his zenith between 1906-1909, but his strongman exploits included lifting various weights up to more than 3,000 pounds in the harness, and back lifts of people and objects. The National Police Gazette recognized Travis in 1907 as the "strongest man in the world," and his elaborate metal belt proclaiming this pronouncement is displayed in the museum."

Source: http://www.yorkbarbell.com/hallfame/hall09.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think he does 200 incline, too. Doesn't do full range reps, but still, he's ridiculously strong.

Page 10 of 110 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast