Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 12 of 110 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast

Thread: curtjames' training journal

Amateur Threat

Quote Originally Posted by curtjames View Post
    Ever the optimist, eh, west?

GX, you doing single dumbbell presses, curls, rows for the "good" arm? I've read more than once that unilateral training or whateverthefuck it's called is especially helpful at rehabbing... or that working the good arm will actually assist and speed the healing of the injured arm.

Sweet if it's true.

I have never heard of that. I will have to look into it.

Ever the optimist, eh, west?

GX, you doing single dumbbell presses, curls, rows for the "good" arm? I've read more than once that unilateral training or whateverthefuck it's called is especially helpful at rehabbing... or that working the good arm will actually assist and speed the healing of the injured arm.

Sweet if it's true.
    Unilateral DB presses for chest aren't too bad, funnily enough.

Cool, GX. I'm ever the educator! (Okay, expounder of trivial nonsense?)

west, I can see myself rolling off the bench.

This is a trick, isn't it?

Steve G. asked about my diet from last year. I dropped about 30 pounds from around my 45th birthday (August 21, 2007) until November 1, 2007.

What follows is entirely too much information re that activity.

Note: The calorie count is listed chronologically and the text that follows is sequential from August to November although I didn't include the dates when I copied/pasted the entries.

Here goes:

Working out on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Doing cardio five days a week for 30 minutes or more each session. And Iíve been counting calories courtesy of my-calorie-counter.com.

I donít know what I weighed when I started. I think it was 176, but it could have been 179. Anyway, I feel good about maintaining the low calorie/good food consistency thing as well as the workouts and a more serious cardio attack. I did about 50 minutes tonight with ten minutes of that at 7.1 and the balance at 3.8. (Okay, maybe cardio attack is being generous.)

Yeah, Iím being consistent, but that doesnít mean Iím very happy about it. At least not all the time. On the drive home tonight I thought, something like, "I WANT A WENDYíS DOUBLE WITH CHEESE, A CHOCOLATE FROSTY, AND SOME SALTY FRIES NOW!!!!!"

Opted for broccoli topped with some McCormick Parmesan Herb and the last of my Thomasí mini cinnamon raisin bagels. It was good. But Iím still pissed. (Uh, in an Iím sticking with this kinda way.)

Iíve been consistent with my eating in the past few weeks. Might just creep back down to my high school weight of 155 lbs. I was 150 lbs. at 15 years of age. Wouldnít that be an idiotic kick? Yes, to thirty years later have made absolutely NO cumulative bodybuilding progress? DíOH!

The first ten to 15 pounds that I gained after beginning to lift that plastic and concrete Sears adjustable weight set was all lean tissue. Since 165 lbs. and seventeen years of age to now, however, I believe thereís been a sea change or body composition shift to weaker and pudgier/blurrier. The defined pec line between my chest and my ribcage has been replaced by a blurrier less line-like demarcation. Not Good. And my waist has grown from 30" as a 15-year-old (yeah, I took measurements when I first started lifting with Arnold-like aspirations) even with my naturally wide hip structure, to a full-on Buddha-like 37" (allowing that gut to relaaaax).

My waist is down two inches and my weight has been two pounds lower each week. Hopefully all fat as Iíve been lifting three times a week with five sessions of cardio as well.

I feel a sense of accomplishment at maintaining the consistency of food intake and effort output (cardio and lifting). My Arnold dreams are just that. Hell, even Arnold has apparently bid farewell to that dream if you believe the images that can be found on the Internet of the 60-year-old Oak. Not sure I believe (or want to believe) his physique has changed that drastically. Anyway, Iíve put aside the 20-inch arms quest and am now focused on the Holy Grail of the ripped torso.

I was between 176 and 179 (possible dyslexia there?) when I looked in the mirror and said, "Woah. Blurry man begone!" Since Iíve actually been paying attention to the poundage, itís gone like this:

8/14/2007: 965 calories
    8/15: 1236
    8/16: 836
    8/17: 1565
    8/18: 786
    8/19: 1537
    8/20: 1386
    8/21: 1632
    8/22: 1329 (Wednesday a.m. bodyweight: 172 lbs.)
    8/23: 1078
    8/24: 1027
    8/25: 1029
    8/26: 1492
    8/27: 1275
    8/28: 1317
    8/29: 1369 (Wednesday a.m. bodyweight: 170 lbs.)
    8/30: 1224
    8/31: 1473
    9/01: 1428
    9/02: 1263
    9/03: 1349
    9/04: 1400
    9/05: 1139 (Wednesday a.m. bodyweight: 168 lbs.)
    9/06: 1233
    9/07: 1452
    9/08: 1047
    9/09: 1136
    9/10: 1298
    9/11: 1332
    9/12: 1480 (Wednesday a.m. bodyweight: 163 lbs.*)
    9/13: 1499
    9/14: 1360
    9/15: 1184
    9/16: 1453
    9/17: 1105
    9/18: 827
    9/19: 1434 (Wednesday a.m. bodyweight: 161 lbs.) Week 4
    9/20: 1219
    9/21: 1497
    9/22: 1467
    9/23: 1600
    9/24: 1233
    9/25: 1137
    9/26: 1456 (Wednesday a.m. bodyweight: 159 lbs.) Week 5
    9/27: 1405
    9/28: 1305
    9/29: 1205
    9/30: 1105
    10/1: 1005
    10/2: 905
    10/3: 1500 (Wednesday a.m. bodyweight: 157 lbs.) Week 6
    10/4: 1440
    10/5: 1495
    10/6: 1490
    10/7: 1315
    10/8: 1023
    10/9: 1095
    10/10: 1390 (Wednesday a.m. bodyweight: 152 lbs.*) Week 7
    10/11: 1425 (Thursday a.m. bodyweight - new scale: 155 lbs.)

*And 153, 154, 155, and 156 ! Wtf? Time for a new bathroom scale. Itís an asterisk week.

Do say scale or scaleS?

10/12: 1490
    10/13: 1360
    10/14: 1496
    10/15: 1436
    10/16: 1132
    10/17: 1221 (Wednesday a.m. bodyweight: 153 lbs.) Week 8
    10/18: 1500
    10/19: 1490
    10/20: 1313
    10/21: 1295
    10/22: 1180
    10/23: 720
    10/24: 1492 (Wednesday a.m. bodyweight: 151 lbs.) Week 9
    10/25: 1500
    10/26: 1493
    10/27: 3280
    10/28: 4183
    10/29: 1190
    10/30: 770
    10/31: 831 (Wednesday P.M. bodyweight: 149 lbs.) Week 10
    11/01: 1670
    11/02: 2749
    11/03: 3748
    11/04: 3087
    11/05: 2778
    11/06: 3721

I figure if Iím going to be a skinny guy then I should actually be a skinny guy. None of that skinny fat nonsense. So I started counting calories as well as doing cardio 5x per week with weights 3x.

Iíve been reducing by 2 lbs. per week since Iíve been keeping track, but today there was a more than two-pound dip.

Hmm. My exgirlfriends would all probably call me a 170-lbs. dip. DíOH!
    heh

Never mind!

Again, Iíve put aside the 20-inch arms quest (like I had a choice - @#$% you genetics!!!) and am now focused on the Holy Grail of the ripped torso.

*So, yeah. Thatís five pounds dropped since last Wednesday and that wasnít my goal. Definitely going to increase the calories and maybe buy a new digital scales. And, really, none of the numbers matter if the six-pack isnít showing up.

My eating plan currently involves a cup of oatmeal and a cup of o.j. in the a.m., peanut butter crackers and a strawberry Nutri-Grain cereal bar in the afternoon, a bottle of grapefruit juice and a banana post-workout/cardio, and a Healthy Choice dinner in the p.m. Occasionally Iíll go to the local diner and order some pickles and tomato slices and a black coffee.

Definitely gives the waitresses a laugh. I dropped five pounds (unless the digital scales is broken) during the past week and so have upped the calories a bit. Had a nonfat strawberry yogurtÖ waitasec, sh!t
    Sixteen grams of sugar?

Okay, so I know nothing about nutrition. I better review CTís (BodySpacer ChickenTuna) eating recommendations again. Duh. No booze and no Krispy Kremes, though, so Iím feeling good about that. Didnít think Iíd be able to say no to my friends Dunkiní or Krispy. And Iím losing waist inches.

My long-term goal is to be the buffest skinny guy, but I think itís more important to strip the fat before trying to gain the muscle. Iíve read that itís difficult to do both at the same time. And, hell, I know itís tough for me to gain muscle.

Iíve been lifting since age 15 and itís been 30 years since my stepfather hoisted that hundred-pound Sears concrete Ďn plastic weight set out of the trunk one-handed. I remember struggling with forty pounds for benching at a bodyweight of 150. I had a loose or free-standing picnic bench that I used for benching.

Anyway, Iím happy that I havenít fallen to pieces over the past three decades, however obviously disappointed that my genetic makeup didnít foster that Arnold Schwarzenegger from the í70s or Sergio Oliva, Robby Robinson, or my hometownís hero, Olympia competitor Mike Mentzerís physique. Such is life.

Regardless of the fanboy teenager still alive inside my skull, my short term goal is to strip the fat from my torso (and the rest of my body) and then to work on gaining muscle without gaining the gut. As a teen it was easy to down blender drinks of milk, ice cream, bananas, peanut butter, and whatever Bob Hoffman protein powder was to be found at the nearby Dutch School health foods store. Not one to gain fat as a teen, my four years of cross country during high school didnít change that.

I hit 40, however and the sea (and my body apparently) changed. I gained ten pounds in one week during a trip to Atlanta. PittyPatís Porch and Rayís were two of my favorite spots to get my dine on. Those ten pounds were not razor-sharp lean tissue. Count on that.

Iím going to count on consistent workouts, diet, and cardio to work together to strip the fat and improve my appearance from my viewpoint. Iím pleased with my progress so far and will be looking at the content of those 1,500 calories Iíve been ingesting recently. I have no clue about protein versus carbs versus fat, but realize thatís an important consideration.

Iíd like to continue singing the praises of ChickenTuna for her good words (check out her Bunklers.com website) and inspiration as well as tip my hat to BodySpaceís doogieh for encouraging me to take a look at what my prot/carb/fat breakdown is currently.

53 grams of protein, 26 grams of fat, and 249 grams of carbs yesterday. Hmm. And those grams of protein were inflated as compared to weeks past as I threw in an extra yogurt yesterday. Iíve read that dietís a big consideration. Looks like I may have named this blog correctly.

Iím going to increase my protein intake while maintaining the calorie count at or below 1500 by removing orange juice, grapefruit juice, and the Kelloggís Nutri-Grain bars from my menu. Iíll be substituting three servings of ONís 100% Instantized Whey Cookies Ní Cream protein mix in water.
    Thanks to BodySpaceís doogieh for that recommendation.

Other than the ON, my daily diet consists of oatmeal, some peanut butter, frozen vegetables (broccoli with some added chili powder is my favorite right now), Healthy Choiceís breaded chicken and mashed potatoes, and low-fat yogurt. The grocery was out of strawberry yogurt and so I picked up their blueberry, a few strawberry-banana, and one cherry.

Okay, I confess! I also picked up Klondikeís Slim a Bear 100-calorie ice cream sandwiches. Only 1.5 grams of fat per sammich, though! Sue me.

On August 15 I weighed 178 pounds according to the entry I made on my-calorie-counter.com. This morningís Wednesday weigh-in offered 161 pounds. So, in a little more than a month Iíve dropped (reaches for calculator) 17 pounds. Probably not all fat, though. I am, however, feeling good about the reduction in my waistline and increase in my looking-lean-edness (yeah, thatís a word I donít think youíll find in your Merriam-Webster). My waist was 37″ (full-on Buddha a.k.a. ďlet your gut relax, dudeĒ) to todayís 34″ (OKAY! Itís 34 and a quarter inch, but thatís AFTER a cup of strawberry yogurt).

Maybe this isnít bodybuilding, but Iím definitely reorganizing the composition of whatís inside my skin. Consistency, calorie counting, increasing the protein intake recently, lifting, and cardio have all played a part. No pics because, hey, as one BodySpacer joked with me in a forum: ďYouíre 45.Ē

I am. Iím 45 but Iím working towards my 15-year-old bodyweight of 150. The weight I was when I first picked up that Sears & Roebuck concrete and plastic weight set. Well, tried to pick it up. Call it starting over. Call it my very own mid-life crisis maybe. All Iím calling it is interesting. Iím motivated by the loss in bodyfat and the increase in discipline Iím feeling versus just caving to the craving for a double cheeseburger and maybe a half-dozen Krispy frigging Kremes.

Itís a good feeling.

I just weighed myself to test a theory. Maybe thatís not the right word. What I wanted to see was if I weighed 163 or 164 rather than the 161 I weighed yesterday a.m. at this weekís Wednesday Weigh-in.

Had weighed myself after the previous dayís 800 and change calories as well as not drinking anything after something like 9 p.m. the night before, so I was empty Wednesday morning as well as dehydrated. Yet tonight, a few hours after a protein drink, Iím the same 161 lbs.

Raised my calories to closer to 1500 recently because Iíd dropped from 168 to 163 in the one week. Was concerned that 5 pounds was too much to lose in one week. With raising the calorie count, I was still hoping to reduce an additional two pounds for the week. I was successful in that, moving from 163 to 161. Iím working for 159 for next Wednesday with the eye on the longer term goal of 150. Maybe even 149 in an attempt to strip my bodyfat down to a more reasonable level (my perspective).

Another ten pounds at two pounds a week, weíre talking five weeks to the goal.

At 6′1" thatís ridiculously low, however my frigging gut was ridiculously big. Iím light boned with 6 1/2-inch wrist and 9-inch ankles. My hip bones would rival some beastie boys, though, which I believe contributes to the less than wasp-like waist line. NO "X-Man" here, unfortunately.

Regardless of the numbers, Iím damned happy that Iím making visible progress toward lowering my bodyfat. Iíve got my eye on a 7 megapixels Cybershot camera as well as getting my Sportster in the shop. Have a $500 inspection (the 20k or 25,000-mile tune-up) for my little Harley. Some warm days still on the schedule, apparently, here in Pennsylvania. Milwaukee Iron (the motorcycle) and York Iron (the barbells) are two of my favorite things.

What is your goal? And what are some of your favorite things?

Edit 9/26: Hit 159 this a.m. Took MuscleTech Hyrdazide before retiring last night, fwiw. Not sure if that helped at all, but the digital scale showed another two pound loss over the past week. New goal is 157 lbs. for next Wednesday morning as I continue to attempt to strip my bodyfat down to single digits.

Yesterday I completed leg presses of 335 for 3 sets of 10 reps, okay, 2 sets of 10 and a set of 6 and then was doing deads after that.

Iíve done 365 for a single as a 20something, round-backed and generally sloppy as hell form, but still. And Iíve done 295 for 3 sets of 5 reps in the past year or so. Pulled 315 for a single around that same time, but after losing a sizable chunk of bodyweight and completing those leg presses, well, deadlifting 205 for 8 reps was just about it for me.

Iím pleased with my weight loss and associated loss of waist inches, but Iím less than happy about the strength decrease. Whatever. Iím sticking to the eating plan and working towards an additional reduction in weight in order strip my waist down to a much leaner look. For me, myself, and skinny olí I.

Whatís your goal?

So Iím looking for 157 to stare up at me from the digital scaleís LED readout on Wednesday. I think Iím looking at a plateau however and so Iím playing a game or a trick on myself. Maybe. Not sure if thatís what it should be called, but itís definitely maintaining my interest in counting those calories.

Oct. 3 Update:
    Hit 157 this morning. Barely. Actually spit like a high school wrestler cutting weight for a match, clipped my fingernails, and took my glasses off (they gotta weigh at least an ounce, right?), but I hit it. This morning Iím ďeating like a kingĒ with a full cup of oatmeal and a full cup of nonfat strawberry yogurt. I had ramped down from 1405 to 905 calories during the week and did about an hour of cardio last night in anticipation of this morningís Wednesday Weigh-in. It really is like a game, but I think Iím about at my limit. Not sure if 155ís a possibility or if I even want to reach that weight. Otoh, my abs are not where I want them.

Wednesday, October 3 marks the end of the sixth week of my current eating plan and what Iím doing as I approach that date is reducing my calorie count by 100 calories each day, so 9/27ís count was 1405, yesterdayís was 1305, and I just ended today with a bowl of broccoli topped with chili powder and three teaspoons of salsa for a total of 1205 calories. Sundayís target will be 1105, Monday Iíll shoot for 1005 and then Tuesday will be 905.

Iím motivated to maintain the food intake so I can hit my goal number of 157 lbs. on Wednesday morning. The overall goal is to reduce my bodyfat percentage thus achieving a more ChickenTuna-like midsection. Or in the spirit of the Ms. Olympia competition an equally impressive junior Iris Kyle or Dayana Cadeau set of abs.

And with that set of abs in mind, Iíll state that Iím not only following a specific and controlled eating plan, but also lifting three days a week as well as completing cardio five days a week. Ever hear of a fire triangle? Maybe this is the fitness triangle. Instead of air, heat, and fuel, itís food, exercise, and cardio. Iíd like that better if I had fit the word consistency in there somehow.

Do you have a weight loss or weight gain goal?

Can you say plateau?

And is that spelled right?

Hmmm. Anyway, I looked at 158 pounds on the digital scales this morning and my goal is 155 for 48 hours from now. I weighed 157 at the last weigh-in, dehydrated, eyebrows trimmed, air exhaled to the maximum extent allowable by law, so, yeah, the plateau mighta been hit last week.
    Iím not torturing myself this time. Iíll do 1200 calories today and maybe 1100 on Tuesday, but eff 800-calorie days. "May I have one broccoli floret, please?" SCREW THAT! Iím finding the nearest Wendyís and taking hostages, @#$%&*#% IT!

Ahem.

i KEED!

The eating plan is working. My consistency has been one-hundred percent. NO cheat meals. Iím happy with my progress, but see a long road ahead as I work toward my goal of matching some of the six-packs (hell, EIGHT-packs) I see and admire here on BodySpace. ChickenTuna, MsFitness, Lady McMike, Romantic1983, and cball30 are just a few names that spring to mind when I think of BodySpace and goal-worthy abs.

I can say plateau, but I can also recognize inspiration in the form of my fellow BodySpacers. Thank you to everyone who participates in this online community.

Thereís work to be done and I see some weighted crunches and side bends in my future.

What do you see in your future?

Once again Iím looking for an additional two-pound decrease to appear on my digital scales this coming Wednesday. That would put me at 155 if the two pounds was knocked off last Wednesdayís number, however it looks like Iíve actually gained a pound.

Not especially surprised because the previous Tuesday I had eaten only 905 calories, had stopped drinking water early that evening, and had actually gotten up an hour early simply to spit away a few ounces. HA! If you read my one previous blog maybe you thought I was kidding. So, yeah, the 157 was illusory. Oooooh, wait a minute, izzat a word?

Ö

Google sez illusory means "deceptive; unreal" and that seems to be what it was. Weíll see what the scale says in about 32 hours.

This Wednesday, October 10, marks the end of the seventh week of my current eating plan.

Bought a new weight scale at Target tonight. This morningís Wednesday Weigh-in went awry as the contraption spit out about 12 different readings. I typically step on and off several times because I had my doubts as to the scaleís accuracy. Hadnít used the thing for years, so thereís that.

But this morning it read 153 several times. Thought Iíd be funny and take a digital pic of the scale reading and doesnít it say 155! The new Cybershot does not weight two pounds. No.

Anyway, tonight the new one read 155.5 lbs. Going to do another weigh-in in five hours or so as Iíve been marking down my weekly weight in the mornings. Thereíll be an asterisk if I hit this weekís goal of 155 since it would be a day late, but Iíll still feel like Iím on track.

Next weekís goal (Wednesday, Oct. 17) is 153 lbs. as I close in on what I weighed when I got my first vinyl-covered cement weight set - 150 lbs.
    Iím definitely hella leaner than I was just a few weeks ago, but I can see thereís room for additional fat removal!

Hit 155 this a.m.

Yesterday my scale had gone crazy and so I replaced it with a brand new $19.95 piece of Target technology that reads off the 1/2-pound. I weighed 154.5 and will round up to my goal for Wednesday which was 155.

Iím feeling good about reaching set goals, but has anyone ever read Stephen Kingís (Richard Bachman listed as the author, I think) Thinner?

DíOH!

Next up, 153.

Hitting the goal weight this week is looking good. Iím getting up at 5 a.m. and if the scale doesnít cooperate (reads 153) Iím going to run around the block until I sweat off a pound! Weighed 154 tonight after my two cups of broccoli with a little chili powder, plus SEVEN entire "sun chips" and a few teaspoons of salsa.

GAH! Now Iím worried that the sodium will have me holding water. Itís stupid for a skinny man to worry about water retention. DíOH! Regardless, I have it in my head to "start over" by getting down to 150 lbs. - what I was at age 15 and touched that first vinyl-covered Sears & Roebuck weight set. The skinny fat 180 lbs. was NOT working for me.

The scale cooperated and dutifully read out 153, but Iím not feeling or looking especially ripped abs-like at all. Plus my microwave died apparently. @#$% it. I had my oatmeal raw. Not the best start to the day, but I did reach the goal weight so thatís something. And Iíve got a new ab workout that Iím going to try tonight. All good things take time.

Well, itís almost midnight here. I adjusted my Wednesday Weigh-in from the typical a.m. to advanced p.m.

Made it.

Pictorial evidence, fwiw:

I stepped on the scale a number of times to verify that 149 was accurate. It was actually 148.5 without the socks. Ooooh, aaaaah!

I had about a pint of water today.

Amateur Threat

Entirely too much information.

You did warn us, though.

west, I can see myself rolling off the bench.

This is a trick, isn't it?
    Nope. Give it a bash. It's good for a bit of variety.

Exactly, GX!

You were duly warned and therefore I feel no guilt whatsoever.

That post was definitely insane.

I will!

Next workout, west. That's tomorrow.

You'll see the report here... unless, of course, I do roll off the bench.

And hit my head.

Possibly slip into a coma.

You bastard!
    Just see what you've done???

Quote Originally Posted by west View Post
    That post was definitely insane.
    Guilty!

It's two months and change of combined blog entries. D'OH!

Yo Curt, after reading the calories, I have decided it was hardcore starving.

Well, as long as it was hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
    Yo Curt, after reading the calories, I have decided it was hardcore starving.

Quote Originally Posted by west View Post
    Well, as long as it was hardcore.
    Thaz what I'M TALKIN BOUT!

Default Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Squat bar 135x10, 10, 10
    Chin body weight x6, 5
    Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 60# dumbbells x9, 8

Default Thursday, September 11, 2008

Rest in Peace to those lost in the 9/11 tragedy.

Incline dumbbell press 70# dumbbells x5, 4 followed immediately by drop-sets with 60's x 2, 50's x 3
    45-degree back extensions bodyweight + 35# x9, 9
    Face pulls 55# x15, 15

20:00 FreeMotion treadmill

Default Saturday, September 13, 2008

Dumbbell military press 50# dumbbells x 8, 6
    Pronated Incline DB Rows 55# dumbbells x 12, 12
    Leg Press 225 x 20, 20

Cybex Arc Trainer for 40:00

Default Thursday, September 18, 2008

Chins bodyweight 6 (and a half), 4 (and a half... but, yeah, partials DON'T count)
    Incline DB Press 60#ers x 10, 10
    Full Squats 135 x 10, 10, 10

Page 12 of 110 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast