Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 9 of 110 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast

Thread: curtjames' training journal

Quote Originally Posted by west View Post
    I own an ipod. One of my best investments, for sure. I wouldn't be without a TV. The good shows are well worth watching. Obviously good shows are reasonably scarce, but there are enough to justify owning a TV in my opinion.
    Okay, an ipod is on my wish list.

World peace, date with Kim Basinger, ipod.

(But it's there!)

re TV, I don't miss commercials.

Purchased the Firefly DVD collection "recently" and just finished watching it. I loved the movie Serenity and only after watching that flick became aware there was a TV show with the same characters. To be able to watch 45 minutes at a clip without being subjected to a sales pitch is a good thing.

And not owning a TV justifies my Internet time a bit.

In other news...

Gone but not forgotten!

Default Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Rest is good.

Default Thursday, August 7, 2008

Incline DB Bench 70# dumbbells x 3, 65's x 5,5
    45-degree back extension (hips off pad) Bodyweight x 9, 10# plate held to chest x 9
    Dumbbell Lunge 45# dumbbells x 20,20

Ferruggia's phase 5 routine calls for Dumbbell Reverse Lunges, however I don't see that in his "Exercise Bible". I substituted dumbbell lunges. Completed two sets of 20 total reps - a little confused so far as noting that in my journal goes, but what it was was me taking two dumbbells and doing ten reps with each leg without interruption. Left, right, left, right to 20 reps total for the one set and then rested and did it again for the second set.

Who's a wordy...

Face Pull (row on pulley to your face - arms in front, parallel to floor, rope attachment, fully contract shoulder blades and pause between reps) 20 lbs. x 15 reps, 30 lbs. x 15 reps

I never heard of this movement, but like it. Started at with almost zero weight to familiarize myself (and, yeah, because I'm NOT HERCULES) with the exercise.

No cardio.

Face pulls are alright. A fairly minor exercise, though, so I mostly don't bother with them.

Face pulls are alright. A fairly minor exercise, though, so I mostly don't bother with them.
    I've done a variation of the movement as described in the Ferruggia ebook, but I definitely agree with you - a minor exercise. The meat of "Day 2" for me would be the incline DB sets and the lunges.

You have a top five can't-do-without list of exercises?

Squats
    DB inline bench
    Dips
    Chins or Pull ups
    Deadlift

Deads
    Squats
    Chins
    Bench

And I rotate some others... Hard to pick just 5.

Deads
    Squats
    Chins
    Bench

And I rotate some others... Hard to pick just 5.
    Of course! I should have said choose five off the top 100.

Squats
    DB inline bench
    Dips
    Chins or Pull ups
    Deadlift

Another fab five would include:

Leg Press
    Bent over rows
    Close-grip bench
    DB presses
    Hammer curls

Word. It's kind of pointless trying to choose favourites. There are many that have their place at various points throughout the year.

Word. It's kind of pointless trying to choose favourites. There are many that have their place at various points throughout the year.
    One of the first books I ever read on bodybuilding was Lou Ravelle's "Bodybuilding For Everyone"

We pause now for the following jpeg...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was Googling for a pic of Ravelle's book. And wandered across that pic. I wonder what the context of the original shot was.

Ah! There we are.

Body works: Photographs from the weird world of bodybuilding

The photographs of Joachim Ladefoged explore the weird world of bodybuilding
    Saturday, 3 May 2008

Popeye biceps, rippling six-packs, and supernaturally dark tans: these pumped-up people have trained for a Scandinavian bodybuilding contest by shaking off every last ounce of fat. But even if you admire their commitment, it is hard not to recoil in confusion at such asexual specimens.

It was this reaction – something between respect and disgust – which prompted the Danish photographer Joachim Ladefoged to photograph this slew of hard-bodies. He took a mixture of black and white and colour photography at the Danish Bodybuilding Championship in 2001 and similar events in the ensuing years, underexposing the subjects to make them appear darker still. The resulting snaps are assembled in a book, Mirror (the title a nod to his models' narcissism), to be published later this year.

"For me, personally, these people are all strangely photogenic," he says. "Bodybuilding is like theatre in many ways. The tan – which they use to cast shadows across their muscles, so they can be picked out easily on stage – makes them look haunting, or like they are from another planet.

This is the case with the women especially, whose fake breasts are, funnily enough, the only way you can tell them apart from the men. But while I found them awful and fascinating, it was important for me not to have an agenda. I asked them not to smile or adopt any particular position, just to be themselves. And I think they were happy someone was showing an objective interest."

Ladefoged is following in the tradition of a number of other photographers. Robert Mapplethorpe famously pictured Lisa Lyon, the first women's bodybuilding world champion, in 1982 (and indeed, was not averse to framing the odd chiselled torso throughout his career).

Here, Ladefoged has no doubt drawn inspiration from not one, but many. His work falls somewhere between the sensuality of Richard Avedon and Helmut Newton, and he has the unflinching eye of Diane Arbus.

(For the entire article, follow the link.)

Uh, where was I?

One of the first books I ever read on bodybuilding was Lou Ravelle's "Bodybuilding For Everyone" and Ravelle definitely preached mixing it up.

I have at least two copies of that paperback around the apartment somewhere. I should have it somewhere immediate access, but I'm a text-driven beast and stuff gets buried rather quickly. Magazines, books, newspapers, comics, more.

Ravelle's book was a great introduction to weight training. I also have his book "Gym Biz."

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?author=ravelle

That's a nasty looking bitch.

That's a nasty looking bitch.
    A smile would help her immensely, but I believe (from the text) that was the photographer's idea.

Yes.

"I asked them not to smile or adopt any particular position, just to be themselves. And I think they were happy someone was showing an objective interest."
    - Joachim Ladefoged

Default Saturday, August 9, 2008

Hang clean 3 x 4-6

135 x 4,4,4

Dumbbell military press 2 x 7-9

55# dumbbells x 4, 50's x 7

Pronated incline dumbbell rows 2 x 10-12

55# dumbbells x 12, 60's x 8

Leg Press 2 x 20-25

6 plates + 50 lbs. plus the sled x 20, 6 plates + 120 lbs. x 14

Default Sunday, August 10, 2008

One hour of cardio