Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: What Day Do You Deadlift?

Voters
399. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leg Day

38 9.52%
  • Back Day

318 79.70%
  • I Don't Deadlift

23 5.76%
  • Other - Explain

20 5.01%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: DEADLIFT

dont do a lot of back so i can get them easily in
    Starting a new chapter...

Quote Originally Posted by west View Post
    That's why I do them first when I have the most energy.
    same here

I like to do them first, because nailing a new personal best on deads is so much more satisfying then setting a new pr on rows.
    Turn the other cheek and I'll break your fucking chin.

Quote Originally Posted by chasebny View Post
    I like to do them first, because nailing a new personal best on deads is so much more satisfying then setting a new pr on rows.
    hell yea, im doing em every other week rotating 1 week i do squat 1 week i do deads

Hit them hard after pull ups which is my warmup.

i do them usually second, for whatever reason, im stronger on any major movement (ie deads, squats, incline, military, etc) after i do 3-4 sets of a pre exhaust move, as long as i stay away from failure in the first movement. I do them on back day, definitely.

Both

Personally I prefer doing Deadlifts on the same day as Squats, since they both work the legs, and those are the only exercises I do that work the lower half of my body. I do only a small selection of exercises, anyhow.

all I know is if I'm doing deads the same day as squats I'm not hitting one of them hard enough. and for those that say you do putt some real weight on that bar. even if you were geared up that would be a bitch and you would risk a lower back injury. my 2cents

with back and heavy of course! I pulled 405lb for the first time yesterday. Made me feel like a god. The guy I was training with was pissed! He's 202lb and I weigh 170lb, he couldnt even budge that shit. It was a good day.

Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar

as long as they get done!

however:
    IF you do them with squats:
    -should be the only 2 moves of the day
    -rotate which one you start with every week
    -do the first movement heavy (3-5 rep range)
    -second movement 8-12 rep range
    this way they both get trained with heavy weight and higher volume over the long run. Also by training them both on the same day, the lower back gets a full week to recover before being tormented again by the 2 largest exercises. Although this day would suck, it would be better on the lower back compared to doing them on seperate days.

IF you do deads on back day:
    -One week start with them and go fairly heavy 1-3 reps and shoot for a new pr on this week. Starting with them will make sure you are fresh and ready to go all out on one big all out set. I would also ditch the straps on this day and go with a mixed grip. You should be strong enough to hold on to 1-3 reps.
    -The next week finish with them and do higher reps like 8-12. They do feel different with a good pump going on. On this day I would recommend using straps and a dbl overhand grip to keep everything even. I would also try to get 2-3 sets in rather than 1 all out.

Thats just my opinion though.

My best pull to date (655), completely raw, natrual and I think around 213 bodyweight or so.
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

Quote Originally Posted by tjoe View Post
    as long as they get done!

however:
    IF you do them with squats:
    -should be the only 2 moves of the day
    -rotate which one you start with every week
    -do the first movement heavy (3-5 rep range)
    -second movement 8-12 rep range
    this way they both get trained with heavy weight and higher volume over the long run. Also by training them both on the same day, the lower back gets a full week to recover before being tormented again by the 2 largest exercises. Although this day would suck, it would be better on the lower back compared to doing them on seperate days.

IF you do deads on back day:
    -One week start with them and go fairly heavy 1-3 reps and shoot for a new pr on this week. Starting with them will make sure you are fresh and ready to go all out on one big all out set. I would also ditch the straps on this day and go with a mixed grip. You should be strong enough to hold on to 1-3 reps.
    -The next week finish with them and do higher reps like 8-12. They do feel different with a good pump going on. On this day I would recommend using straps and a dbl overhand grip to keep everything even. I would also try to get 2-3 sets in rather than 1 all out.

Thats just my opinion though.

My best pull to date (655), completely raw, natrual and I think around 213 bodyweight or so.
    That was sick bro! Great lift!

^^^ good post anything more would be overtraining

NICE lift bro...I bet you could move even more if you drop your butt down lower and explode up more with your legs. I start off my deadlifts like I'm in the bottom position of a deep squat...ass to calves pretty much. Have you tried sitting lower to start and using more legs? I'm sure you have.

Do you train with some Greek guys??? LOL OPA...OPA

Keep it up tjoe
    FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

Thanks guys!

He-Man, That vid was a few years back. I know have a funny little "twinge" in my right ass cheek? I never put much thought into pulling I just did it. Now with my "twinge" I try various things. Last week I pulled 585 pretty good and didn't really feel it. Then I tried 6 even and it stuck to the floor as I felt it cramp right up. Go figure.
    I have to pull 480 for reps today so perhaps i will deload every rep on the floor (I usually touch and go) and see if I can use more leg drive...

damn you t-joe!...give me a year i'll give that a try, you make me want to train hard. The state record in PA for the 199-220 class natural and raw is 670 set by a 23 yr old this year.

I have to pull 480 for reps today so perhaps i will deload every rep on the floor (I usually touch and go) and see if I can use more leg drive...
    I deloaded today and it was good! 480 x 12!

Quote Originally Posted by mts View Post
    damn you t-joe!...give me a year i'll give that a try, you make me want to train hard. The state record in PA for the 199-220 class natural and raw is 670 set by a 23 yr old this year.
    Glad I could motivate you bro! That was a few years ago though. I am now just under 600 and would really like to get back to my nemesis 675 (7 plates). So far things are going very well!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast