Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Army, Navy, Marines, or Coast Guard...Tell me stories...Im going to enlist

Quote Originally Posted by PowerMania View Post
    well i went to see the army requiter today.
    Im not diving into this fast...im going to go slow even though i would like to leave tomorrow.

I know the job i get is all based on my ASVAB scores. The requiter wants me to take it right away...(of course he does). But i told him i want to study for it so i can be prepared for it. Im not going to rush it, so im going to take my time with the test. Ill take the real test in a month or so. Untill then ill be studding https://www.march2success.com/index.cfm .
    I hired a math tutor and i have books on how to ace the asvab. Last time i did the practice test i did bad. And then i used those books and it increased my score by 15 points.

so i think i can take my time with this...not rush or act on emotions.

i just dont want to get dicked around..

thats why ill get everything in writing, and take my time with the test. Like the guy said im not doing this for him, im doing it for me. So since its for me, he can wait when Im ready.

I told him that i love jobs that are high stress. When i have a normal job....I get all flustered and dont think well.
    But given a job that requires you to think fast and respond with out thinking thats what im good at.

I told him i love a thrill... i love adrenaline. I crave adrenaline.
    especially sky diving.. or parasaling

Like the other day when i had to fight a fire....I LOVED the rush it gave me.

Anyways he suggested i would like to go airborne or be a diver and dig wells in the ocean. Id LOVE to go airborne!

so now all i have to do is wait..
    Im also waiting to talk to my brother in law to see what advice he has to offer me before i make any decisions.
    Female Navy Divers are tough. I don;t know how well you swim.

I don't know if women can be airborne or Rangers...hmmm...interesting choice if you can though.
    Dustin
    "The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."
    John Ruskin

I told him i love a thrill... i love adrenaline. I crave adrenaline.
    especially sky diving.. or parasaling

Like the other day when i had to fight a fire....I LOVED the rush it gave me.

Anyways he suggested i would like to go airborne or be a diver and dig wells in the ocean. Id LOVE to go airborne!
    You are a volunteer firefighter? They have firefighting in all branches of the military. I can't remember what the MOS specific name is in the army. The school runs with 2 different classes a day. So, I know there are openings regardless of what your recruiter tells you. They usually don't just give the OK on this job. Usually they will try to persuade you into a more open career field. I would try to land this job via Air Force or army first as it has much better opportunities for overseas travel. Portugal, England, Germany, Italy, etc...
    However, if you go Airborne you get stuck in the 18th Airborne Corp. Your only hope for overseas duty is Korea or Italy (not likely).
    Ask your recruiter about firefighting and if he gives you the run around tell him you are going to the Air Force. I bet your Army recruiter can find you an opening.
    BTW, if you do go firefighting you will be one of only a few women who pass that school. 40% failure rate

Quote Originally Posted by supertick View Post
    You are a volunteer firefighter? They have firefighting in all branches of the military. I can't remember what the MOS specific name is in the army. The school runs with 2 different classes a day. So, I know there are openings regardless of what your recruiter tells you. They usually don't just give the OK on this job. Usually they will try to persuade you into a more open career field. I would try to land this job via Air Force or army first as it has much better opportunities for overseas travel. Portugal, England, Germany, Italy, etc...
    However, if you go Airborne you get stuck in the 18th Airborne Corp. Your only hope for overseas duty is Korea or Italy (not likely).
    Ask your recruiter about firefighting and if he gives you the run around tell him you are going to the Air Force. I bet your Army recruiter can find you an opening.
    BTW, if you do go firefighting you will be one of only a few women who pass that school. 40% failure rate
    In the Navy it is a damage controlman. They actually serve a real important purpose on ships.
    Dustin
    "The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."
    John Ruskin

I have two cousins in the Army (Husband/wife...both officers) and two sons in the Air Force. My cousin used to lobby in Washington for funds. She told my sons that the Air Force gets the bulk of education funding. My middle son's wife was also USAF. She was sent Qatar when their baby girl was only a couple months old. She missed being shipped into Iraq by hours.

Both of my sons scored high on their ASVABs and got their choice of jobs. My middle son is an EOD tech, has been to Georgia (Former Soviet country), Guam and Iraq and is off to the Afghan region in a few months. My cousin has done two tours in Iraq and her hubby just got back from a tour in Kosovo. My cousin's compound in the Green Zone took mortar fire frequently. Her husband was vid-conferencing with her when she had to evac.

My son was blown up and watched his best bud die being blown to pieces while they were clearning IED's. His childhood friend, a Ranger lost a couple of his buds in a Black Hawk/sand storm accident.

Iraq and Afghanistan are brutal right now. Make no bones about it. Please don't have any illusions about the war zones.

My oldest is in Osan and works in the hospital on base. He'll be there for the rest of the year and then off to Italy for three. He's trained to repair X-ray/CATscan/MRI machines in the field and in the hospital. If he went civ he would be able to find a job right off the bat in his line of work.

As others have suggested. Be sure you know what job training you want. Research it thoroughly and sign nothing until you get what you want. Air Force has more jobs that transfer over to civilian life according to my cousin. My middle son just happened to choose one of the few that means he has to stay in gov't work if he leaves the Air Force. Both my sons plan on being 'lifers'.

Button Man

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post

I don't know if women can be airborne or Rangers...hmmm...interesting choice if you can though.

That would be cool if you joined the navy as a diver and went EOD ( Explosive Ordnance Disposal ). I'm Army EOD so we don't do the cool diving stuff. Navy EOD gets dive school, EOD School, and Airborne school.

Women can go through airborne school, just not ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerdurden07 View Post
    That would be cool if you joined the navy as a diver and went EOD ( Explosive Ordnance Disposal ). I'm Army EOD so we don't do the cool diving stuff. Navy EOD gets dive school, EOD School, and Airborne school.

You guys can't go to dive or Airborne? My son was thinking of doing both before he got married and had his girls. He's away enough now as it is so he hasn't added dive and ab to his training.

How about domestic work/calls for you guys? J has been out on calls/security constantly this year.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerdurden07 View Post

While i was there....he said that i would fit in well going airborne. He didnt say anything about woman not being able to go airborne. There was even a girl cardboard cut out with a woman with a "airborne" badge on her. So i know that woman can go airborne but i think your right they cant go ranger (which really sucks).

I asked him about fire fighting and he said "there are no fire fighters..." i said odd... my friend was one...
    (and no i am not a volunteer fire fighter...)

he said that i could dive in the army....he didnt mention the navy.

My fear is that im going to get "tossed to the side" because im a female... i know that wont really happen...but it still scares me. Thats why i want to go into this fully educated before i sign a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post

i swim like a fish...i can swim laps like its my job

but swiming is for sure allot harder than running or any other physical excercise.

but i do love it... i mean im a pisces

I asked him about fire fighting and he said "there are no fire fighters..." i said odd... my friend was one...
    (and no i am not a volunteer fire fighter...)
    That is a lie! Wow, how can a recruiter flat out lie like that? When I was in DOD fire academy there were plenty of Army personnel. Don't take that crap.

That is a lie! Wow, how can a recruiter flat out lie like that? When I was in DOD fire academy there were plenty of Army personnel. Don't take that crap.
    is there a list somewhere of all the jobs in the army?
    And what woman can and can not do?

i think that if i get a good enough score on my asvab, i will go Air force. I love planes. I love flying, but even more i LOVE jumping out of them.

such decisions.. i guess i just really really have to do my research and make a list of the jobs i want. Thats prob the best option for me.

BTW, the first one is for Army firefighter. Straight from their website.

you could use this lie to your advantage. Just like a relationship, you caught him in a lie and now he should try to win back your trust.
    Seriously, if his chain of command finds out he might lose a recruit due to a lie he might be in a world of shit

BTW, the first one is for Army firefighter. Straight from their website.

you could use this lie to your advantage. Just like a relationship, you caught him in a lie and now he should try to win back your trust.
    Seriously, if his chain of command finds out he might lose a recruit due to a lie he might be in a world of shit
    ill address it, print it...but i wont make a big deal over it.

Sounds to me like you might like AF firefighting best. I'm speaking from both jump experience and AF FF experience.

Sounds to me like you might like AF firefighting best. I'm speaking from both jump experience and AF FF experience.
    It all depends on what i get on my asvab.
    I was sooooo close to going in the airforce...

Math really screwed me though. But hopefully it will be diffrent now that i have a tutor.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast