Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 372 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Tjoes Training Journal

doing great! you are really getting me focused! how are you measuring fat%?

Spotter

I second ctrl's question and gotta commend you on those lifts. Big stuff... :P I should lifting like that in maybe about a year.

How does Dave do it when you slow down? Isn't it something like going 2 days fats, then 2 days protein or somehting like that. Whatever the concept is, it tricks your body into burning fat again. You may be at that point to switch it up. Have you aksed Dave about what's going on, you stong mutha? lol

Quote Originally Posted by tjoe View Post
    Tank, Skynett and CraZ - Thanks for the support guys, always appreciated!

So this is week number 6 for me. I am taking it kinda easy in the gym as my training partner is in the keys and my other one just became a new DAD! My volume is very low. I did back today and I really didn't feel like training (can't let that stop me). I did a few things and then deads. I managed to pull 545 pretty well!! Very happy with that this far in, weighing 201 last night, and not pulling for a while!

As far as weight goes I am still just over 200 and my BF% seems to be all over the place. I have to say though, before my last meal was always aroun 7-7:30 and lately it's been later (I think that has something to do with it). Anyway my last 4 readings were: 18.3, 15.7, 17.8 and 18.1 A little weird to me. I am not going to change anything the rest of the week except to try and get meal 6 in around 6:30-7 and see if that helps even it back out. I'll see how the week averages and if not so good, then next week, I'll lower the fats in ALL my meals.

Don't get it twisted though, still very happy with my progress and my strength (bench 315 x 5, 5 Tue and of course 545 pull today). Just wanted to update a little.

Joe
    Taking it easy... 545 deadlifts I hate you! I about died yesterday did my last 2 sets of 10 and 8 w/ 405. I'm weigh 2 lbs less than you and your doing 140 more than me. Keep w/ it big man!

Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar

ctrl, craZ - Thanks guys! I measure my weight and BF on a Tanita scale every night. I know it's not super accurate, but it gives a good guidline of what's going on. I wrote a little more about it somewhere else in this thread.

ToddBZ - Thank you as well. There are a few options when progress slows. A - cut out the cheat meal. B - Take out all the fats (could be done every 4th day or every 3rd etc. it would be highly individual from person to person) C - up your cardio. D - I was following a diet for a heavier person (I think). That's why I said I may just lower the fats in each meal. Example: I've been doing 6 whole eggs (rather than some white), I've been using 2 Tbspn PB rather than 1.5, and I was using 2oz of nuts rahter than 1.5. So I have a few options... needless to say, I'm not so worried yet.

Tank - Thanks bro! Deads are my strong suit though . When I was fat and happy I was getting mid 6's for single and pulled 495 for a solid 12 at one point. I'm really hoping that my strength holds on for a while so I can see what happens AFTER I hit 8ish% and throw the carbs back in . I'm hoping something really cool happens...
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

ctrl, craZ - Thanks guys! I measure my weight and BF on a Tanita scale every night. I know it's not super accurate, but it gives a good guidline of what's going on. I wrote a little more about it somewhere else in this thread.

ToddBZ - Thank you as well. There are a few options when progress slows. A - cut out the cheat meal. B - Take out all the fats (could be done every 4th day or every 3rd etc. it would be highly individual from person to person) C - up your cardio. D - I was following a diet for a heavier person (I think). That's why I said I may just lower the fats in each meal. Example: I've been doing 6 whole eggs (rather than some white), I've been using 2 Tbspn PB rather than 1.5, and I was using 2oz of nuts rahter than 1.5. So I have a few options... needless to say, I'm not so worried yet.

Tank - Thanks bro! Deads are my strong suit though . When I was fat and happy I was getting mid 6's for single and pulled 495 for a solid 12 at one point. I'm really hoping that my strength holds on for a while so I can see what happens AFTER I hit 8ish% and throw the carbs back in . I'm hoping something really cool happens...
    I feel the same way I want to get so shredded right now, but already telling myself "man I'm gonna get huge next year!" I'm an addict!

Since you're already in Ketosis you should see results pretty quickly I'm thinking by adjusting your diet. This next week should tell you which direction to go.
    I think that once you hit your target bf, then start adding carbs, look out. You are going to grow like a weed (In Dave Talk).
    700 pull and a 450 bench just may be in the future.

If i tried to dead what you do i would pull my arms off before the weight moved.... f-ing freak!

Tank - I think that is how all of us think! We always want more of what we don't have... More lean, more muscle, bigger bench, stronger squat... the list never ends. It's what makes us different than the average schmoe, we are constantly looking to improve something.

Toddbz - Thanks bro! I hope that is what happens!! My stats from this week are just below... check 'em out.

ctrl - Haha! No-one could say you didn't try then... lol!! Honestly the deadlift was always my best lift. Just built well for it I suppose. On the flip side I am never happy with my pressing or my great ability to add body fat at will.

OK, another week down. Not so thrilled with this weeks progress, BUT I DO KNOW the body dosen't continue linearly. It's peaks and valleys, bursts and stagnation. So with that here are the averages from last week:

Weight......201.3......Down by 1.4
    BF%.........17.0........Down by 0.1
    Fat Mass...34.22......Down by .44
    Muscle......167.08....Down by .96

So, whaddya know bout dat??!!?!
    I'm trying to take it with a grain of salt but that is a bummer. I am going to make some changes this week and see what happens. Little things, consistantly, that's how I roll. So this week, fats are going to drop.

Nuts to 45 grams instead of my usual 60
    PB to 24 grams instead of 32
    and 4 whole eggs + 4oz of whites instead of 6 whole
    all week and we'll see what happens.

Spotter

I don't think those scales are very accurate at all bro, well not when you get to the lower body fat percentages. I have a Weight Watchers scale and the bf% isn't even close for me, I think I got like 18% or something when I was near 9. I know it worked fairly well for my mom though as she's higher in body fat. I don't know the science behind it, but I'd look into another method if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cra-Z View Post
    I don't think those scales are very accurate at all bro, well not when you get to the lower body fat percentages. I have a Weight Watchers scale and the bf% isn't even close for me, I think I got like 18% or something when I was near 9. I know it worked fairly well for my mom though as she's higher in body fat. I don't know the science behind it, but I'd look into another method if I were you.
    Yep, the mirror!
    I just like to use the scale to get an estimate, nothing more. My body is going in the right direction and getting a PR on the sled today means I can't be losing much muscle (I did 4 more reps with 8 a side than my previous best, 12 vs. 8) So the scale is just fun to watch... and the weight is pretty accurate.

Like you said, it's the ebb and flow. Just take it in stride, note it down for the future and press on. I'm interested to see what this week brings. All you need to see is a decline in bf to know you're on the right track. Maybe console with Dave to see how long you should let the mods in the diet go until the next change (if necessary). Perhaps a little lighter on the cheat meal this week to let the mods really take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddbz View Post
    Like you said, it's the ebb and flow. Just take it in stride, note it down for the future and press on. I'm interested to see what this week brings. All you need to see is a decline in bf to know you're on the right track. Maybe console with Dave to see how long you should let the mods in the diet go until the next change (if necessary). Perhaps a little lighter on the cheat meal this week to let the mods really take hold.
    I was thinking the same about the cheat meal. This past one wasn't so bad, but last week was some pretty good overkill (looking back). So I already started with the lower fats, so I will continue that all week. Saturday I won't go so crazy with the cheat and we'll see what happens.

I was thinking the same about the cheat meal. This past one wasn't so bad, but last week was some pretty good overkill (looking back). So I already started with the lower fats, so I will continue that all week. Saturday I won't go so crazy with the cheat and we'll see what happens.
    Yeah I'm just thinking with the fats being adjusted that this weeks cheat may need to stay on the lighter side (just don't eat until your really full).
    By the way. Thanks to your motivation I got 170x4 on shoulder press, 320x6 on bent over rows, and 200x6 on upright rows this week. All 3 smashed my old pr's. The bent overs were actually not that hard. 340 next time! Not to bad for a 'tall' 175 pounder.
    Thanks for the inspiration Joe

Toddbz - Looks like I'll be watching you for motivation!! Those are some pretty good numbers! Specially at 175!

Toddbz - Looks like I'll be watching you for motivation!! Those are some pretty good numbers! Specially at 175!
    At 6' tall.
    Working on the 175. I don't think the 6' is going to change any time soon lol

So my back workout was so-so today. I hit some ok numbers but I just don't think my head was in it. Plus towards the end of the week (farther and farther away from my last cheat meal) I do seem to lose a little something.

The scale does not look good lately (BF% wise) so I'm not putting too much stock in that. The mirror is telling me a different story that I DO like, so no worries as of yet.

My weight always spikes a bit after the cheat meal and then slowly comes down for the rest ot the week. Last week I scraped the sub 200s on Friday night with a 199.8, then up it went after the cheat on Sat.
    Well last night (wednesday), I was at 198.8 and I still have thurs AND fri nights to weigh in! I'm not even sure the cheat meal will pull me back up to 200 this time. I guess that fat reduction did a little something this week eh...

Page 5 of 372 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast