Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 12 of 807 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262112512 ... LastLast

Thread: FitAdina's Blog Spot

I forgot to attach the photo...here's my diet guy...hot friend Kevin!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by karenfromcali View Post
    anyone can go to an open meeting, we get nurses in training, psych students, wives and hubbys of members, friends too. It's only closed meetings that you can't go to and lots of meetings are open. If you get your hands on a directory it will usually state which are closed and which are open. You would probably enjoy any open participation meeting or speaker meeting. Book studies are very interesting as well-getting more into the meat of the program. Have fun and let me know what you think!
    You know...I have the guy I wrote the Blog about...but I also have this other guy. My classmate, Helper. He has been 12 years clean and sober. At my 20 year reunion he offered to help me and give me insight on my book.

So...I'm thinking...the friend I told you about, Helper, and now you...I must be DESTINED to go to a meeting.

I'm going to E-mail my classmate and get him to tell me about the ones in our area.

Lightbulb Hunger

I started to title this Blog entry, ďNo one ever died from being hungry.Ē I decided against that as there are people in other countries who do. But thatís the thing. We donít even recognize true hunger. We recognize the feeling of an empty stomach, but that is just an inconvenience. Thatís not true hunger.

I like to think of that empty feeling as my body burning away fat. If Iím hungry and not immediately feeding that hunger, my mind tells me Iím dropping some more pounds. Just a little mental game I play with myself.

I have a good friend who needs to lose about 200 pounds. We have only talked about dieting once. In the course of our one conversation she said, ďI tried that diet, but I was hungry.Ē

And so I was thinking, maybe thatís the big secret everyone looks for to unlock the mystery of dieting. If no one has told you this secret, let me be the first one to tell you: THERE WILL BE DAYS YOU ARE GOING TO BE STARK-RAVING, GNAW YOUR ARM OFF HUNGRY.

Thatís the secret.

Some days you will be hungry.

It doesnít mean youíve done anything wrong. Think about a smoker giving up cigarettes. You donít think they want one the next day? Of course they do.

If you are eating over 5,000 calories a day and you cut it to 1,800 you will experience some hunger. Of course you will. Your stomach will shrink, but it wonít shrink over night.

But there is good news. If you push through it, it really and truly doesnít last very long. For me, and remember, I lost over 100 pounds; the intense hunger lasted only a few days. Moderate hunger lasted about two weeks. But at the end of two months, I was rarely ever hungry. There were even days I had trouble getting all my requirements in.

Learn to embrace that feeling of the empty stomach. Itís telling you youíre doing a good thing for your body.

So thatís the secret: some days you will be hungry, but it really wonít kill you. I promise!

Amateur Threat

It is far too easy for people to give in to avoid being uncomfortable or inconvenienced. These are the people who lose their hunger for what they really want in life, and I would be much more concerned about losing the abstract hunger rather instead of my concrete phyiscal hunger.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaoshang Xiongshou View Post
    It is far too easy for people to give in to avoid being uncomfortable or inconvenienced. These are the people who lose their hunger for what they really want in life, and I would be much more concerned about losing the abstract hunger rather instead of my concrete phyiscal hunger.
    Well...Gaxy...you know I have to Blog on your reply now!

That was great. I love it!

Yeah, I know when I'm being 100% on my diet when I am just slightly hungry at all times. If I ever feel "full" I know I've had too much and I'm off plan. I can feel it.

Still, I never thought about it as a positive before. This could be cool....

i've heard some overweight people never had a "hunger pain" until they started eating 'real' food, and it SCARED them, at first.

i've also heard 'feeling hungry' is a good sign that your metabolism is well.

until i learned how & what foods to pack or have on hand, it was a SCARRY feeling to have a sudden low blood sugar attack with NOTHING to eat/drink.

I HATE when i have an unplanned "LO" while i am driving or training.
    I'm workin on getting better K!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyMuscle View Post
    Yeah, I know when I'm being 100% on my diet when I am just slightly hungry at all times. If I ever feel "full" I know I've had too much and I'm off plan. I can feel it.

Still, I never thought about it as a positive before. This could be cool....
    Those inches that just came off your waist...thank that hungry feeling for that!

That feeling is not just a positive...it's your friend. Name it!

Mine is Valerie!

Quote Originally Posted by bndniron4evrgal View Post
    i've heard some overweight people never had a "hunger pain" until they started eating 'real' food, and it SCARED them, at first.

i've also heard 'feeling hungry' is a good sign that your metabolism is well.

until i learned how & what foods to pack or have on hand, it was a SCARRY feeling to have a sudden low blood sugar attack with NOTHING to eat/drink.

I HATE when i have an unplanned "LO" while i am driving or training.
    I keep baggies of whey and bars with good stats (I like Oh Yeah! wafer bars) on hand all the time for the unexpected.

Do you do this?

Default You Have to Have That

Sometimes my life is life a broken record of phrases. I hear the same ones over and over again. Lately, the stuck-record phrase is, ďYou have to have that.Ē

The ďthatĒ can refer to any number of things. Lately, itís been nachos, onion rings, birthday cake, cheese cake, funnel cakes. Yeah, I have a cake thing! Iíll admit it. I just wonít eat it!

When I go to a party ďthatĒ is usually an alcoholic drink.

You see, when I am feeling like cheating, I talk it out. I will tell whomever I am with at the time that I feel like having ďthat.Ē Nine times out of ten the person I am with will tell me I have to have ďthat.Ē Fat people tell me. Thin people tell me. There is no boundary here.

I went out to eat with a dear friend recently. We were going to get burgers at a place that serves the best onion rings. I told her on the way there, I want them, but Iím not going to order them. She said I HAD to. When I did not order any, she did. She said, ďIím going to order them so you HAVE to have one.Ē

The funny thing is, this is always counter productive to the people telling me this phrase. Tell me I HAVE to have something, and I donít care how badly I want it or who it saves from sudden and immediate death, I will NOT have it!

The people in my closest circle know how hard I work. You almost become like a diet super hero when you lose as much as I did.

People are looking for your Kryptonite. If they can find it, and wave it in front of your face, they can eat poorly without guilt. They are free to self-destruct.

Any Super Man fan knows that Super Man does not willingly put himself in the line of Kryptonite. He avoids it, and he certainly doesnít HAVE to have it.

And when the food arrived, my friend dangled a ring in front of my face, and said, ďYou have to have this. I ordered them for you. You have to eat just one.Ē

But she was wrong. I didnít have to have it.

And I didnít.

Quote Originally Posted by FitAdina View Post
    I keep baggies of whey and bars with good stats (I like Oh Yeah! wafer bars) on hand all the time for the unexpected.

Do you do this?
    lol powermania has quit a story about carrying "baggies" of whey in her suitcase, on the airplane...............lol

yes, i have JAY ROBB bars, in the car, purse, etc...... he is ALL NATURAL no JUNK fillers.
    I'm workin on getting better K!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bndniron4evrgal View Post
    lol powermania has quit a story about carrying "baggies" of whey in her suitcase, on the airplane...............lol

yes, i have JAY ROBB bars, in the car, purse, etc...... he is ALL NATURAL no JUNK fillers.
    OH NO!

I never thought about the trouble little bags of powder might cause!!! And as a general rule, I've got one sitting on my seat in the car! HMMM!

Lightbulb No Regrets

I got an E-mail from someone the other day that ended with, ďÖand never regret anything that made you smile.Ē

But Iím not so sure that I agree with this sentiment.

Looking back I can remember doing a lot of things that made me smile in the moment, but they did nothing to add to my happiness today.

I remember smiling while I ate junk food many times over. You see, it made me happy at the time, but it was really leading to depression.

I remember smiling when I went out with friends, because it was fun. But I was spending all my time with people who would never encourage me set foot in the doors of the gym.

If I had continued to live only for the moment I was in, I would not be the happy person I am today. Yes, I smiled and even had lots of happy momentsÖbut I was dying on the inside.

Itís not like I look back and regret dinners with friends, donuts with my kids, popcorn at the movies. Itís just that now I recognize these things arenít what make the moment.

Happiness is a choice, and I gave up a few smile-inducing moments along the way to find my happiness.

And here are the things I donít regret:

I donít regret going to the gym on days I didnít feel like it.

I donít regret eating broccoli while my friends ate fries.

I donít regret working out till I thought I would get sick.

I donít regret working out till I did get sick.

I donít regret the things I gave up that got me here.

I donít regret 4:00AM cardio.

And I donít even regret missing a few opportunities along the way that would have made me smile at the timeÖbecause my life now is one big, giant smile.

I used to have to have events, food, stuff, and things to make me smile.

Now? Breathing makes me smile.

And I have no regrets.

Since I have a gluten and dairy intolerance (and a few others) I can't use any traditional bars so I always have some hazelnuts, sunflower seeds (unsalted!), or fruit with me. Keeps me going! Love your blog!

You need a daily syndicated column in a newspaper. I wonder if US Today would be interested....

At the very least you need a column in FitnessRx.

x2. Good idea Girly Muscle! I think people would be able to gain a lot of inspiration from what you have to say Adina.

Quote Originally Posted by connstellation View Post
    Since I have a gluten and dairy intolerance (and a few others) I can't use any traditional bars so I always have some hazelnuts, sunflower seeds (unsalted!), or fruit with me. Keeps me going! Love your blog!
    Well, thank you!!!

I love that you're keeping a journal about being gluten intolerant. I think more people have that, but they just don't know it. I bet you have helped people you don't even know!

Page 12 of 807 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262112512 ... LastLast