Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HS Wrestling Training Inquiry

Default HS Wrestling Training Inquiry

My wife and I have taken a newbie to the gym under our wing. He is 14 and starting his first year of Wrestling this Monday. Although I could definitely help him with football, hockey and baseball....................wrestling training is not one of my knowledge sets. Can anyone help me devise a cohesive weight training plan for a beginning wrestler? And ideas and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Apparently the team did not give him an off-season training schedule or guide.
    You know.......if you started saving your money today.......in a year or so....you could afford that sense of humor you so desparately need.

Super Moderator Daibhí O'Buadain's Avatar

The best weightlifting exercise I can think of for a wrestler, is deadlifts with a trap bar.

Thanks DB. I also hear that tracking MD spam has turned into a cardio routine........maybe he could be your apprentice? LOL.
    You know.......if you started saving your money today.......in a year or so....you could afford that sense of humor you so desparately need.

Joe Defranco put out a pretty good article that he had a lot of high school athletes use.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...s_westside.htm
    twitter: @badbadleroyb, www.leroysmayhem.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by chrisco915 View Post
    My wife and I have taken a newbie to the gym under our wing. He is 14 and starting his first year of Wrestling this Monday. Although I could definitely help him with football, hockey and baseball....................wrestling training is not one of my knowledge sets. Can anyone help me devise a cohesive weight training plan for a beginning wrestler? And ideas and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Apparently the team did not give him an off-season training schedule or guide.
    1. Jackknife Sit-up 1-2 15-30 per set Optional: Seated Barbell Twist 1 25-50 each side
    Hyperextension
    1-2 Max 15 per set then add weight
    Hack Squat
    3 12-10-8
    . Bent-Arm Barbell Pullover and Press
    3 10-8-8 Optional: Medium-Grip Barbell Bench Press 2 8-8
    . Seated Side Lateral Raise
    3 10-8-8
    6. Seated Two-Arm Low Lat Pull-In 3 12-10-8
    . Dumbbell Shoulder Shrugs
    3 15-15-15 Optional: Straight-Arm Dumbbell Pullover 1-2 12 (10)
    8. Standing Close-Grip Triceps Pushdown 3 10-8-8
    . Standing Medium-Grip Easy-Curl Bar Curls
    3 10-8-8
    Seated Palms-Up Barbell Wrist Curl
    2 20-20
    Seated Palms-Down Barbell Wrist Curl
    2 15-15
    Wrestler's Bridge (both ways)
    1-2 5-10 per set

This program is from Oklahoma State University, one of the better wrestling programs. I think for wresting you want to also include a very good cardio (sprints, suicides, and so on) program because stamina is half the game! Hope this helps.

When working with an athlete you just can't post a program up and say do this becasue others have. You have to examine his current level of GPP, his height, weight, his overall ability, his goals, examine any past injuries, any current injuries and must look at what his training has been like. Once you establish what the norm for him has been then you need to examine what he needs to do. Maybe he's been ran into the ground and lifting with high intensity as well. We don't need to keep going that direction we need a restoration block. I know everyone here is trying to help the kid but we need more individualization than that. We can't possibly answer this question without knowing more about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Erndog22 View Post
    1. Jackknife Sit-up 1-2 15-30 per set Optional: Seated Barbell Twist 1 25-50 each side
    2. Hyperextension
    1-2 Max 15 per set then add weight
    3. Hack Squat
    3 12-10-8
    4. Bent-Arm Barbell Pullover and Press
    3 10-8-8 Optional: Medium-Grip Barbell Bench Press 2 8-8
    5. Seated Side Lateral Raise
    3 10-8-8
    6. Seated Two-Arm Low Lat Pull-In 3 12-10-8
    7. Dumbbell Shoulder Shrugs
    3 15-15-15 Optional: Straight-Arm Dumbbell Pullover 1-2 12 (10)
    8. Standing Close-Grip Triceps Pushdown 3 10-8-8
    9. Standing Medium-Grip Easy-Curl Bar Curls
    3 10-8-8
    10. Seated Palms-Up Barbell Wrist Curl
    2 20-20
    11. Seated Palms-Down Barbell Wrist Curl
    2 15-15
    12. Wrestler's Bridge (both ways)
    1-2 5-10 per set

This program is from Oklahoma State University, one of the better wrestling programs. I think for wresting you want to also include a very good cardio (sprints, suicides, and so on) program because stamina is half the game! Hope this helps.

thanks heaps for posting that as ive beem looking for wrestling weight training to do
    i only want to be known as the best ever is that too much to ask? -bj penn

Stamina is very important in wrestling as well, compound sets, super sets, cardio in between sets!

I would check out MMA training pages I wrestled In college and many of the training techniques and moves used in offseason and in season are used in MMA training videos because many are former wrestlers. I coach wrestling and I really focus on Pull ups SQuats and Power Cleans. Wrestling is a sport where body weight exercises will benefit because it will develop lean muscule.