Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

Thread: Q&A with IFBB Pro Guy Cisternino

Hey Guy! Whats your protein/carb/fat intake like in your offseason?

Hey man, congrats on getting your pro card. It was a tough line up but your conditioning was incredible and something the judges could not overlook. I hope to be up on that same stage in a year or two, as I am focusing this year on qualifying for Nationals for the first time. Taking this year to really put some size on my legs. Would love to hear your ideas for offseason leg workouts to really put on some quality muscle down low. I am also a middleweight and really want to stand a part from the rest in August 2009. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. again congrats and I look forward to seeing you make your pro debut in the next year or two. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by leoc View Post
    Hey Guy! Whats your protein/carb/fat intake like in your offseason?
    My protien in take I would say is 400+ grams I eat 8 times a day 5-6 whole meals and 2 or 3 shakes depending upon the day..My fat intake is high with mac nut or olive oil I have at least 1 tbsp with every meal and shake, some meals i'll have 2 tbsp. so alone with oils its close to 150grms not including the whole eggs, nuts, and red meat meals..carbs I have with every meal besides the last meal before bed, that includeds either 1 cup or oatmeal, rice, or potatoes, (40-50 grms per meal) and carbolyze with my shakes (80grms)...I eat clean in the offseason, I usually have 2 cheat meals a week which are usually just a lot of sushi...other than that, that's pretty much it.
    It ain't bout how hard you're hit, it's bout how hard you can get hit and keep movin forward."

Quote Originally Posted by chardogg View Post
    Hey man, congrats on getting your pro card. It was a tough line up but your conditioning was incredible and something the judges could not overlook. I hope to be up on that same stage in a year or two, as I am focusing this year on qualifying for Nationals for the first time. Taking this year to really put some size on my legs. Would love to hear your ideas for offseason leg workouts to really put on some quality muscle down low. I am also a middleweight and really want to stand a part from the rest in August 2009. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. again congrats and I look forward to seeing you make your pro debut in the next year or two. Good Luck!
    Thanks for the kind words bro they mean a lot...Legs aren't different than any other body part the key is you have to know what you want more outter sweep, more inner quad development...I NEVER do the same workout, and I think that is key. There will be days I'll do 8 sets of squats 4 sets close stance, 4 sets wide stance and finish with 4 sets of extensions and maybe sissy squats. Or Ill pre exhaust first with 5 sets of extensions then do 4-5 sets of squats, then hacks and presses. Or their are times I'll squat dead last or do giant sets (super set squats, leg press, lunges or extesions). What are you looking to focus on would be the main question?
    It ain't bout how hard you're hit, it's bout how hard you can get hit and keep movin forward."

Guy now that you are a IFBB pro (That sounds good, I bet) will you decide to take a few years off or a year like Evan did so that you can grow? Do you want to compeat at the 202lbs or will you eventuly go into the open? What ever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.
    Though the pain may come over you, never let it overcome you.

congrat on the pro card. Question for you, when traveling i.e. to a show or anywhere else you have to fly, what do you do to stay on your diet? you mentioned you always have a cooler, do you fly with it and what do you bring? airport security is always on me for having so much food when i travel for work lol.

Beach Body

Hey Guy
    I'm a loyal reader of your blogs. it gives me fired up to see the number you can do for reps. Very IMPRESSIVE!!!

I was curious do you use any pre workout supp' like a NO2 or just Carb/Iso??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norway Power View Post
    Guy now that you are a IFBB pro (That sounds good, I bet) will you decide to take a few years off or a year like Evan did so that you can grow? Do you want to compeat at the 202lbs or will you eventuly go into the open? What ever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.
    I won't be one of those guys who jumps into something without improvements...I will take about 2 years off and make the nessasary improvments that I need to compete in the 202 class in 2010..Evan is a great bodybuilder and an inteligent one at that, he is looking sick right now at over 300 and lean, he's gonna do some damage at the NY Pro show, so I can only hope to make the gains like he did in the years off competing...There are a lot of good up and coming guys in the 202 class along with season vets, so I plan to take time off and compete in the 202 class in the years to come

Quote Originally Posted by caliTOin View Post
    congrat on the pro card. Question for you, when traveling i.e. to a show or anywhere else you have to fly, what do you do to stay on your diet? you mentioned you always have a cooler, do you fly with it and what do you bring? airport security is always on me for having so much food when i travel for work lol.
    I ALWAYS have my cooler on me, when you bodybuild it's a lifestyle and a all the time thing, no excuses..Airport security you can get pretty much all foods through besides PB, I bring my carry on which is chicken, rice, steak, nuts, potatoes, and my protein powder I always bring on to, and all my vitamins...I just cook it and use that power saver food vac and freeze it then when I leave it deforsts as I am traveling...that food vac is a great investment

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_hardy View Post
    Hey Guy
    I'm a loyal reader of your blogs. it gives me fired up to see the number you can do for reps. Very IMPRESSIVE!!!

I was curious do you use any pre workout supp' like a NO2 or just Carb/Iso??

Thanks
    Pre workout 2 scoops isolyze and 2 scoops waxy maize...I just amp myself up I always plan my workouts on the way to the gym...and Im ready to go when I get there, if Im tired I get my cup of coffee w 2 shots of espresso and get going..lol...I have used them but simulants don't do it for me I have taken them all no xplode, super pump 250, you name it I tried it...

Guy-

What's the difference between using Fish Oil vs. Flax seed oil as a way of supplementing your diet with Omega-3 fatty acids? Which one is better and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Cisternino View Post
    Thanks for the kind words bro they mean a lot...Legs aren't different than any other body part the key is you have to know what you want more outter sweep, more inner quad development...I NEVER do the same workout, and I think that is key. There will be days I'll do 8 sets of squats 4 sets close stance, 4 sets wide stance and finish with 4 sets of extensions and maybe sissy squats. Or Ill pre exhaust first with 5 sets of extensions then do 4-5 sets of squats, then hacks and presses. Or their are times I'll squat dead last or do giant sets (super set squats, leg press, lunges or extesions). What are you looking to focus on would be the main question?
    That is somewhat similar to what I am already doing, never doing the same routine week in and week out. I am focusing on the entire leg, using foot placement to accomplish it on each exercise. Currently I am pushing between 8-15 reps for my worksets with heavy weight. I will usually finish with a high volume exercise, i.e. leg extension, leg press, with 20+ reps for about three sets to fill thge leg with blood and help stretch the fascia. What is your opinion on sets and reps?

Beach Body

Hey Guy
    How long is your break from the gym? any cardio this off season or none like usually??

Thx Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Cisternino View Post
    My protien in take I would say is 400+ grams I eat 8 times a day 5-6 whole meals and 2 or 3 shakes depending upon the day..My fat intake is high with mac nut or olive oil I have at least 1 tbsp with every meal and shake, some meals i'll have 2 tbsp. so alone with oils its close to 150grms not including the whole eggs, nuts, and red meat meals..carbs I have with every meal besides the last meal before bed, that includeds either 1 cup or oatmeal, rice, or potatoes, (40-50 grms per meal) and carbolyze with my shakes (80grms)...I eat clean in the offseason, I usually have 2 cheat meals a week which are usually just a lot of sushi...other than that, that's pretty much it.
    That's a lot of food Big Evan Centopani said he is taking 400-450g of protein, same carbs and about 180g fats it's almost equal to yours intake.
    So you take fats in your pre ant post workout shakes?
    Are you doing any cardio in the offseason?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex England View Post
    Guy-

What's the difference between using Fish Oil vs. Flax seed oil as a way of supplementing your diet with Omega-3 fatty acids? Which one is better and why?
    That's funny you asked this question because I had this convo with Dave while dieting and asked him the same thing, and it's because FLAX SEED OIL contains ALPHA LINOLENIC ACID (the omega-3 parent compound). It converts very weakly in humans to the omega-3 intermediates DHA and EPA........FISH OIL already has the EPA/DHA in it! Therefore it is coverted much more efficently in our bodies...I use the Omegalyze product from species which has Vit E, Omega-3 complex (epa, dha and other fatty acides), along with evening primrose oil, cla, and gla, so I get a good portion of my fats from there..I take 2 pills 3 times a day...hope that helped

Quote Originally Posted by chardogg View Post
    That is somewhat similar to what I am already doing, never doing the same routine week in and week out. I am focusing on the entire leg, using foot placement to accomplish it on each exercise. Currently I am pushing between 8-15 reps for my worksets with heavy weight. I will usually finish with a high volume exercise, i.e. leg extension, leg press, with 20+ reps for about three sets to fill thge leg with blood and help stretch the fascia. What is your opinion on sets and reps?
    Sets and Reps can vary for me..BUT on most of my core lifts for legs, presses, hacks, squats, I go heavy and usually to failure, I don't like putting a number on my core lifts as far as "Im going for 10) if I get 12-15 then next time I know I have to go heavier, but for my auxilary lifts I'll go as high as 20 if I have t...I feel my legs grow with a combo of heavy weight and a little lower reps, but they also respond great when I do high volume...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_hardy View Post
    Hey Guy
    How long is your break from the gym? any cardio this off season or none like usually??

Thx Guy
    I told myself this year after nationals I was going to take 2-4 weeks off and that last about a day...when Mike Libatore, Mark Alvissi, and myself were in cali, we went to Golds Venise and did a full body workout there, while I was there I also did some cardio for the three days, then after Thanksgiving I did another full body workout and cardio. This week I started back up again, normal regime but going light nothing crazy, and now I am doing cardio 3 times a week just because I don't think going from such an extreme of dieting, cardio, and low bf percent, to go back to eating more, not working out, and no cardio...But in another week I will cut the cardio out, I usually don't do any in the offseason. Some guys do, but I don't get "fat" in the offseason, Im pudgy but I eat fairly clean, and I don't think 3 days of cardio in the offseason would do shit, and it's the offseason time of growing so that's my opinon...

Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast