Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rugby training

Default Rugby training

Hey guys
    Just wondering if anyone has any good programs for the offseason.

I was looking to do something like this:

Monday: Chest/Shoulders/Tris
    Tuesday: Intervals
    Wednesday: Back/Bis
    Thursday: Speed Training
    Friday: Legs+Abs
    Saturday: Distance Training
    Sunday: Off/active recovery (squash/pool/walk)

I will add more cardio as the season gets closer (May or so) but really want to get some strength back for now.

There are some "alright" programs off bb.com and getstrength but nothing that really blows my hair back.

What position do you play and what are your goals? It makes a difference.

If you're looking to get faster in the offseason, you're going to train differently than if you want to get bigger.

Depends on position (specific goals... size, strength, speed, endurance), time frame, training level, time available to train...

Beach Body

Drop the reps and up the dosage!!

nah but seriously your plan looks pretty good, one thing that maybe i'd say is i wouldn't do shoulders 2 days before back. A heavy back day takes a lot out of the shoulders too and if not fully recuperated they could be a weak link.

I'd personally do legs and chest on day one, and give a day to shoulders and arms in place of your leg day there. Gearing it towards efficient recovery, the most important thing. And do your abs with back.

incorporate strongman training. its functional and you will get more bang for your buck.

sorry guys I was in sunny Mexico!

I play anywhere in the front 3 but have dropped 30 pounds since the season and may try flank or #8 next year. We'll see.

depends on what position u are if u are a forward id say more towards power lifting ie -prop/hooker/second row if u are a baCK U NEED more speed training
    i only want to be known as the best ever is that too much to ask? -bj penn

if you play flank or 8 man i would recomend strongman style training on one day. i play second row/prop and i have seen a huge difference once i incorporated this.

Default rugby training

Rugby players require a strong base, with strong legs and hips. During a rugby scrum the leg and hip drive is important. A strong neck to protect the spine during hits is also important. A strong core is essential for balance and protection of the ribs and internal organs.

Default rugby training

Rugby players require a strong base, with strong legs and hips. During a rugby scrum the leg and hip drive is important. A strong neck to protect the spine during hits is also important. A strong core is essential for balance and protection of the ribs and internal organs.

With that much training Harnett depending on your body fat percentage or whatever id take a serious look at your diet, with that much activity it'd be simple to burn yourself out and if your not fueling the body for a program like that you could run into serious problems especially since there doesn't seem to be any actual rugby training accounted for, recovery is as important as anything else and if your not gonna add it in you might aswell be pissing against the wind bud

Nobody

Incorporate power training within your program. Exercises such as jump squats, cleans, push press and snatches will significantly improve your rate of force production. You'll notice all the professional players develop a good base level of strength before primarily focusing specifically on the power component for their programs.