Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: has anyone done crossfit training??

Default has anyone done crossfit training??

i have train few people to do the 300 workout. man, it is fast and intense.
    so, has anyone done crossfit training and what do you think about it?

I have not done it, but i recall a past Q and A with Charles Glass in MD on this subject where Glass states he does not like it cause it huge on trunk strength and will give u a huge waistline

5% off your next TrueProtein order: SNS110

I've been doing it for a few months and will never go back!

Completely disregard what big italy just said; it is utter nonsense. I can prove this, as I sport a 29" waist ; )

PM me if you want some in depth info, bro.

well, actually, i was trying to find out what others are saying about this. some say they like it or hate it. but, i find it hard to believe what you guys are saying because lot of people who are in the police/firefighters/ paramadics/and others...love it and helps them to get in shape faster and stronger---that is what i have heard. not sure.

thanks for the feed back....

Crossfit is great if you're just an average schmoe trying to get in shape. It dabbles into many areas of fitness and makes you better at each of them.

However, if you're training for a sport, it's not so good. What it does for the average schmoe (makes you better in many areas), it doesn't do for the athlete who needs to be great or excellent in 2 or 3 areas to stand out in their sport.

If you're a wide receiver, crossfit isn't going to improve your downfield speed. If you're a powerlifter, crossfit isn't going to improve your deadlift. If you're a distance runner, crossfit isn't going to decrease your marathon time. See where this is going?

I can squat and deadlift more than most crossfitters and I'm willing to bet that my 50m and 100m sprint times would be in the top 5% among crossfitters, too. But that's because I train specifically for them. Your body becomes what you make it and crossfit tends to create jacks of all trades.

You have to customize your program if you want results in all areas. Check out my blog if you want an idea of how to integrate metabolic conditioning (aka, metcons, aka crossift) into a strength training program.

I have been training in CrossFit for about 6 months now. I lost 30 lbs of fat and learned a lot about form for actual bb'ing exercises in the process. While it is true CrossFit will not make you huge, it will increase your functional strength and work capacity. It is huge among MMA competitor as well.

Why are you training people to do the 300 Workout? what's the goal? Just to do the Workout?
    Dustin
    "The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."
    John Ruskin

Crossfit can be useful or detrimental depending on what your goals are.

If you are training for muscular strength or hypertrophy, there are far greater programs available as Crossfit may not only be suboptimal, but may also cause a decrease in both strength and muscle mass. Why? Crossfit is a circuit training program which attempts to train strength and endurance simultaneously. These two motor functions are complete opposite and do not complement each other at all. Strength training is detrimental to endurance training (ever see a powerlifter run a 5k?) and endurance training is detrimental to strength training (ever see a marathoner squat 500lbs?). So in training these two capablities, you end up spinning your wheel and end up going nowhere.

Reasons why Crossfit will hinder strength gains
    In training with Crossfit, you are training with submaximal weights. submaximal weights means you are not activating your high threshold (type II, fast-twitch) muscle fibers. These fibers have much more potential for muscle growth than their type I (slow-twitch, aerobic) fiber counterparts. With this decrease in activation. Also, Crossfit training is very taxing on your respiratory system which will limit your training (try doing a heavy set of squats after doing some sprints).

Why is Crossfit Training detrimental to Hypertrophy gains?
    As discussed earlier, Crossfit will stimulate Type I fibers more than Type II fibers. Since Type I fibers have less potential for growth, you are severly limiting your chances for hypertrophy. Also, aas previously discussed, workout intensity (as relative to completing maximal number of reps) will diminish due to strain on the respiratory system.

How should one train for muscular strength and muscular endurance?
    Through alternating mesocycles of training that target endurance and strength. For example. Do 6-8 weeks of strength training 3-5 days/week with 2 days dedicated to endurance training. After mesocycle, reduce strength training volume and increase endurance training volume. Example - Strength Training 2days/week with endurance training 3-5 days per week.

If this is true then why are so many people raving about it???
    Several reasons.
    1- Crossfit requires a great deal of physical exertion. this physical exertion. This increase in activity level will generally lead to a decrease in body fat.
    2 - people of low training experience (only some, I'm not implying all) are doing it. People of low training experience will have a great transfer of trained motor abilities. What I mean by this is that even though this training is not optimal, it will produce gains in all areas (power, strength, hypertrophy, endurance, etc). Think about when you first started conventional weight training... at first, every performance aspect got better. But, do you really think Jay Cutler is going to get bigger off of this program?? No! Why? Because he is at a very high training level for hypertrophy.
    3- People are sticking with it. This is much more fun and exciting that just going to the gym and doing 3 sets of 10 reps on the bench press. Since it is more interest people have a greater adherence to it because they find it fun and exciting. And as we all know, consistency is the #1 determinant of reaching your goals.

Who should use Crossfit? Just in case you care

If you have tried conventional programs and find them boring. Sure, give Crossfit a try. It looks fun and challenging and should keep your interest for at least a little while longer. Is it going to make you a national level bodybuilder? No. Is it going to make you are strong as a powerlifter? No. Is it the end-all be-all program? No. Is it good for people that want to be active and "fit". Yes. Is it going to improve various motor functions for a novice lifter? Yes.

Other Cautions
    In circuit training programs, form is often disregarded as the focus is on maximal number of reps in the minimal amount of time. Does this mean everyone doing crossfit has bad form? No. But look up some videos on youtube.com and I'm sure you'll see some comical "chin-ups" among other exercises.

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks guys for a lot of feedback here. I agree with lot of you and some didn't get my attention about how much effective about training whether getting muscles size or not. I agree that it does increase more speed alhough it may not help much more muscle size like a bodybuilder. i do also agree that it does lose more fat. I believe many women are heavily involved with crossfit training across the nation today as we speak. not sure why women would want to do this. it is very high intense and short-- i think it last about 30-40 minutes or maybe less than that.

Judging from your above post, you need to do alot more research on Crossfit, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateThrilla View Post
    Crossfit can be useful or detrimental depending on what your goals are.

If you are training for muscular strength or hypertrophy, there are far greater programs available as Crossfit may not only be suboptimal, but may also cause a decrease in both strength and muscle mass. Why? Crossfit is a circuit training program which attempts to train strength and endurance simultaneously. These two motor functions are complete opposite and do not complement each other at all. Strength training is detrimental to endurance training (ever see a powerlifter run a 5k?) and endurance training is detrimental to strength training (ever see a marathoner squat 500lbs?). So in training these two capablities, you end up spinning your wheel and end up going nowhere.

Reasons why Crossfit will hinder strength gains
    In training with Crossfit, you are training with submaximal weights. submaximal weights means you are not activating your high threshold (type II, fast-twitch) muscle fibers. These fibers have much more potential for muscle growth than their type I (slow-twitch, aerobic) fiber counterparts. With this decrease in activation. Also, Crossfit training is very taxing on your respiratory system which will limit your training (try doing a heavy set of squats after doing some sprints).

Why is Crossfit Training detrimental to Hypertrophy gains?
    As discussed earlier, Crossfit will stimulate Type I fibers more than Type II fibers. Since Type I fibers have less potential for growth, you are severly limiting your chances for hypertrophy. Also, aas previously discussed, workout intensity (as relative to completing maximal number of reps) will diminish due to strain on the respiratory system.

How should one train for muscular strength and muscular endurance?
    Through alternating mesocycles of training that target endurance and strength. For example. Do 6-8 weeks of strength training 3-5 days/week with 2 days dedicated to endurance training. After mesocycle, reduce strength training volume and increase endurance training volume. Example - Strength Training 2days/week with endurance training 3-5 days per week.

If this is true then why are so many people raving about it???
    Several reasons.
    1- Crossfit requires a great deal of physical exertion. this physical exertion. This increase in activity level will generally lead to a decrease in body fat.
    2 - people of low training experience (only some, I'm not implying all) are doing it. People of low training experience will have a great transfer of trained motor abilities. What I mean by this is that even though this training is not optimal, it will produce gains in all areas (power, strength, hypertrophy, endurance, etc). Think about when you first started conventional weight training... at first, every performance aspect got better. But, do you really think Jay Cutler is going to get bigger off of this program?? No! Why? Because he is at a very high training level for hypertrophy.
    3- People are sticking with it. This is much more fun and exciting that just going to the gym and doing 3 sets of 10 reps on the bench press. Since it is more interest people have a greater adherence to it because they find it fun and exciting. And as we all know, consistency is the #1 determinant of reaching your goals.

Who should use Crossfit? Just in case you care

If you have tried conventional programs and find them boring. Sure, give Crossfit a try. It looks fun and challenging and should keep your interest for at least a little while longer. Is it going to make you a national level bodybuilder? No. Is it going to make you are strong as a powerlifter? No. Is it the end-all be-all program? No. Is it good for people that want to be active and "fit". Yes. Is it going to improve various motor functions for a novice lifter? Yes.

Other Cautions
    In circuit training programs, form is often disregarded as the focus is on maximal number of reps in the minimal amount of time. Does this mean everyone doing crossfit has bad form? No. But look up some videos on youtube.com and I'm sure you'll see some comical "chin-ups" among other exercises.

Hope this helps someone.
    Everything you just wrote is a completely uninformed, biased crock of

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
    It is huge among MMA competitor as well.
    That's why I utilize a lot of what I have learned (and am still learning)about it with my own clients who want something different. I actually have one client on a cross fit drill /mma drill type workout and she absolutely loves it. You have to be very vigilant and observative to make sure they dont over train. You have to make you you keep on top of how their body is changing and change the workouts according to how they change/progress.
    "Life is about choices: tap, nap, or SNAP!" ~ Future UFC Lightweight Champion Marcus Hicks

myth, thanks man...i have heard lot about it and was just wondering what the guys think of it--- need to hear your opinions. i have visited the website before and it looks very interesting to me. i am not trying to lose weight or anything. i am a trainer and would like to know what you think of it. also, another friend of mine said that he is not excatly sure how safe this is because like one of the forum above talks about the form- i wholehearlty agree with that. so.. i am planning to do speed camp for kids and i think i can do some of the things that crossfit has done lot of training programs for young kids who needs power speed.

ninga...excatly!!! thanks for the positive feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
    well, actually, i was trying to find out what others are saying about this. some say they like it or hate it. but, i find it hard to believe what you guys are saying because lot of people who are in the police/firefighters/ paramadics/and others...love it and helps them to get in shape faster and stronger---that is what i have heard. not sure.

thanks for the feed back....

word, ive been through two different law enforcement academies fed and state and most if not all their pt and dt traing is built around crossfit training. that shit is brutal but very effective.

popo...awesome...yea, i heard lot of people have said that it is brutal, but can't explain it. LOL...

at least for me it was i was doing the bodybuilder routine when i went in and i guess i just had to much muscle that it was fucking killing me it felt like i was getting enough oxygen to my muscles. i was the biggest strongest most fit looking one in the class but was the biggest bitch when it came to the crossfit traing pt. so for me it kicked my ass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast