Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Who DO You Cheer For?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sidney Crosby

6 46.15%
  • Alexander Ovechkin

7 53.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alexander Ovechkin VS Sidney Crosby

Default Ovechkin/Malkin Cold War

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin are two of the world's best hockey players, fellow Russians who became millionaires by their early 20s, former Olympic team roommates and the NHL's top two scorers last season.

But the one-time friends have become cold-as-ice rivals, and their on-ice feud has grown increasingly nasty. Last season, the Penguins' Malkin ducked just in time to avoid a hard drive into the boards from the Capitals' Ovechkin.

The ugliness has moved off the ice, too, with Ovechkin reportedly taking a swing at Malkin's agent in Moscow.

"Ovechkin is a great player, but every time he hits me -- I don't know why," Malkin said.

Ovechkin's defended his play by saying that he hits hard against every opponent, although he does not have a reputation among his fellow NHL players for regularly throwing his body around.

Malkin and Ovechkin face each other again Wednesday night, and Malkin's Pittsburgh teammate, captain Sidney Crosby, said the Penguins will protect their teammate. It is the second game of a back-to-back for the Penguins, who played Tuesday night in Philadelphia.

"It's a different scenario because you usually don't see that," Crosby said, referring to one elite player taking what appeared to be a deliberate run at another. "Guys on our team have to make sure we stick together and Geno (Malkin) has to make sure he sticks up for himself."

If he does, the top two players in the league last season could be in for what is known in hockey as a Gordie Howe hat trick -- a goal, an assist and a fight.

What observers can't understand is how two good friends became enemies in so short a time. Only three years ago, they roomed together in Turin at the Winter Olympics, and the two were often seen together off the ice, hanging out, shopping, taking in the Italian sights.

Then, boom.

Neither the 23-year-old Ovechkin, last year's NHL scoring champion and MVP, nor the 22-year-old Malkin, this season's scoring leader, will say what went wrong. Two years ago, Russian hockey Web sites were filled with reports that Ovechkin took a swing at Malkin's Russian agent, Gennady Ushakov, in a Moscow nightclub.

Ovechkin denied the story but in a November interview with the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Malkin said it happened, calling it a "bad situation."

With the Vancouver Olympics only 13 months away, the testiness between the two is causing some anxiety for Russian hockey officials. Russia will be an underdog on Canada's home ice and badly needs its two biggest stars playing together if it hopes to win a gold medal.

The NHL has stayed out of the dispute so far, but no doubt doesn't want either of its stars to be injured because of a personal disagreement.

After Wednesday's game, the Capitals and Penguins play again on Feb. 22 and March 8 in Washington, so there's plenty of time for the feud to end or grow worse.

When Washington rallied from three goals down to win 4-3 in Pittsburgh on Oct. 16, Ovechkin didn't score but appeared to go out of his way to hit Malkin at any opportunity.

"We'll stick up (for Malkin), like you would for any teammate," Crosby said. "They're intense, physical games and as long as that's the way they stay, that's safe. But if there's deliberate intent to hurt someone, you kind of step outside the line a bit, you have to make sure you stick up for your teammate."

The Penguins felt that happened in a Jan. 21 game last season, when Ovechkin lined up Malkin near the rear boards and took a long run at him from Malkin's blind side. Malkin ducked out of the way, causing Ovechkin to slam sideways into the boards.

"I mean, he's got run a couple of times," Crosby said. "The (Oct. 16) game here, I think he made a few runs at Geno and Geno handled it the right way. Geno's focused on playing and he shouldn't get caught up with that."
    I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid - John Gotti

Default Alexander Ovechkin VS Sidney Crosby

Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

Default Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby Post-Game Comments

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

Exclamation OVECHKIN-CROSBY RIVALRY HEATS UP AS CAPS THUMP PENGUINS

WASHINGTON - After a little push-and-shove, Sidney Crosby was still running his mouth, even as his helmet came off and a linesman tried to push him back toward the bench.

Alex Ovechkin responded with a dismissive, "bye-bye" wave of the left hand, practically taunting the Pittsburgh Penguins star.

It's official: The two biggest names in the NHL don't care for each other. Ovechkin is tired of Crosby's constant jawing, and Crosby has no love for Ovechkin's theatrics. The emotions were there for all to see Sunday as Ovechkin scored his league-leading 43rd goal and the Washington Capitals thumped the Penguins 5-2.

"What I can say about him?" Ovechkin said. "He is a good player, but he talks too much."

And what does Crosby make of Ovechkin's showmanship?

"Like it or lump it, that's what he does," Crosby said. "Some people like it, some people don't. Personally, I don't like it."

This ought to be interesting - because the NHL hopes Ovechkin and Crosby will be marquee names for years to come. The bitter Penguins-Capitals rivalry has already gone through a couple of mini-feuds this season: Ovechkin-Evgeni Malkin and Crosby-Alexander Semin. Now it's the league's last two MVPs mixing it up along the boards and by word of mouth.

Sunday's notable incident happened in the final minute of the second period after the Capitals had taken a three-goal lead. Ovechkin gave Crosby a nudge with the shoulder, and Crosby retaliated by pushing Ovechkin's upper body over the boards at the Capitals' bench. Ovechkin then took his arm and gave Crosby a squeeze around the neck, and Crosby lost his helmet as linesman Greg Devorski stepped in.

Crosby, clearly agitated, was restrained by Devorski, and Ovechkin responded with his little wave as he hopped the boards onto the bench.

"I was just skating to the bench and he pushed me from behind," Crosby said. "So I just gave him a shot back. That's hockey, and he likes to run around these days, so that was it."

There's more. Ovechkin isn't happy that Crosby accused the Capitals star of a "cheap shot" hit in Washington's win at Pittsburgh last month.

"I play hard. If he wants to do something like hit me again, try to hit me again - and I'll talk to you guys (about) who plays dirty," Ovechkin said. "That's my game. It's not cheap shots, it's a game moment. But he doesn't like it, it's his problem."

Crosby and the Penguins actually have a bigger problem. After dominating the Capitals early in the Ovechkin-Crosby era, Washington is now firmly putting Pittsburgh in the rearview mirror.

The Capitals are 3-0 against the Penguins this season and 4-1-1 since Bruce Boudreau became coach 15 months ago. Before Boudreau, Washington was 1-7-1 in its previous nine games in the series, and Crosby had all the bragging rights.

Now the Capitals are thinking Stanley Cup, while the Penguins - last year's losing Cup finalist - would not make the playoffs if the post-season started now. They fell to 2-1-1 under interim coach Dan Bylsma, who was promoted after Michel Therrien was fired a week earlier.

Ovechkin, Alexander Semin, Sergei Fedorov, Shaone Morrisonn and Brooks Laich scored for the Capitals, who led 2-1 after the first period and 5-2 after Morrisonn and Laich beat Marc-Andre Fleury on back-to-back shots 25 seconds apart in the second. Fleury was pulled for Mathieu Garon after Laich's goal.

Maxime Talbot and Sergei Gonchar scored for the Penguins, who have lost six of seven on the road and lost in Washington for the first time since Ovechkin's rookie season in 2006.

Ovechkin's goal capped some fluid puck movement by his teammates on the power play. After Fedorov and Nicklas Backstrom worked a perfect give-and-go, Backstrom sneaked a pass between defenceman Rob Scuderi's legs to set up Ovechkin's one-timer from the left circle.
    Crosby, meanwhile, had to settle for one assist - on Gonchar's goal - and some raw feelings afterward.

"I think he got frustrated because he wasn't getting the freedom he's had in this building before," Boudreau said of Crosby's fracas with Ovechkin. "It adds spice. It's entertainment. It gets your blood boiling a bit. And every time Alex gets a little more excitable, it can be good for us."

Notes: The Capitals have won 13 straight at home against Eastern Conference opponents and are 24-5-1 at home against all opposition. ... The win gives Washington its best record through 60 games (38-17-5) in franchise history.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Sidney Crosby Show

Arrow STAR WARS: NO LOVE LOST BETWEEN CROSBY AND OVECHKIN

If Sunday's display of emotion between Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby and Washington's Alexander Ovechkin is any indication, the NHL has quite a rivalry on its hands between two of its premier superstars.

The truth is, the Penguins and Capitals young guns are as different in their personalities as they are in their on-ice games. Ovechkin is a showman and a sniper – with 65 goals last year and 43 more so far this season. His goals frequently find their way onto highlight reels and often become internet sensations. He's boisterous, colourful, and speaks his mind.

Crosby is practically the polar opposite. He's soft-spoken and for the most part lets his skills do the loudest talking. He's a gifted playmaker and a bulldog on the ice, unafraid to crash the net and pay the price while doing it. And while Crosby is Pittsburgh's captain, he doesn't seek the spotlight.

Both players are former Hart Trophy winners, and both are among the NHL's most marketable ambassadors.

During Sunday's 5-2 Washington win over Pittsburgh, the players raised the level of animosity to a new level.

Crosby and Ovechkin had words for each other at the end of the second period which resulted in Crosby being restrained by a linesman and Ovechkin dismissing his counterpart with a sarcastic wave good-bye.

Following the game, both decided to pour more gasoline onto the fire.

"What I can say about him?" Ovechkin told reporters. "He is a good player, but he talks too much."

Crosby had some choice comments about Ovechkin's showmanship.

"Like it or lump it, that's what he does," Crosby said. "Some people like it, some people don't. Personally, I don't like it."

In a recent poll, more than 50 percent of the players in the league pointed to Crosby as the game's biggest whiner. Earlier this season, Washington's Alexander Semin took a verbal jab at Crosby, saying he was overrated.

"What's so special about [Crosby]? I don't see anything special there," Semin said. "Yes, he does skate well, has a good head, good pass. But there's nothing else. Even if you compare him to Patrick Kane from Chicago ... [Kane] is a much more interesting player. The way he moves, his deking abilities, his thinking on the ice and his anticipation of the play is so superb."

Feuds like Crosby and Ovechkin's can be dated back to the golden age when the likes of Detroit's Ted Lindsay and Montreal's Maurice Richard had a long and well-documented grudge match.

But you don't have to look that far back to find one of hockey's greatest rivalries - Wayne Gretzky versus Mario Lemieux, considered two of the greatest players to ever play the game.

But their rivalry was more statistical than based on personal warfare.
    Gretzky was in a class all by himself for seven seasons and took the NHL record books by storm before Magnificent Mario came along, and suddenly the Great One had to share the spotlight.

By contrast, Crosby and Ovechkin are only two years apart, so their comparisons and the ongoing rivalry should make for good entertainment for years to come.

The next chapter in the Crosby versus Ovechkin battle takes place on March 8, when the Penguins make their final visit to Washington during the regular season.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Alexander Ovechkin VS Sidney Crosby

Last edited by UkrainianGuy; October 11th, 2010 at 02:26 AM.

Default Alex Ovechkin scores his 50th goal of the season!

Last edited by UkrainianGuy; October 11th, 2010 at 02:26 AM.

John Tavares is the next big thing. spread the word.

Quote Originally Posted by daciz2 View Post
    John Tavares is the next big thing. spread the word.
    I hope so i got em on my fantasy team

Banned

Tavares can shoot but he can't really skate all that great. He's gonna be killer on the power play. Hopefully he plays better defense than he did in the OHL.

Right now Ovechkin has the same amount of points as Crosby and Malkin combined.

IMO Ovechkin is the best player in the world.
    The world's best spoon's player

Forum Leader: Politics & Religion The Celt's Avatar

Crosby's won the cup...that puts hima hair ahead of AO IMo.. although Ovechkin is probably a little more fun to watch....
    “War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast