Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Can anyone help?

Nobody

Question Can anyone help?

Hey everyone I'm a highschool athlete that wants to bulk up for my sports and football starts in something like 6-9 months. I'm wondering if anyone can give me tips on how to get bigger, stronger and faster and just an all around better athlete. I'm taking creatine and protein shakes and working out monday wednesday and friday with friends and a football coach and also for about an hour in my weights and conditioning class. I'm taking creatine before I ever get a good workout and protein around two to three times on a lifting day. I'm a sophmore sixteen years old 5'8 135lbs so if anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated

Eat like crazy! Thats my first bit of advice, and stick to basic compound exercises. A great book for you and your FB coach to check out is Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, it literally has everything you need and is geared towards younger football players. As far as programs go until you get the book, check this website out. http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm <---A bit of a read, but worth it.

or I guess they make Starting strength on DVD as well. It goes through 5 basic barbell lifts including power cleans.
    http://www.aasgaardco.com/store/stor...on=show_detail

Quote Originally Posted by italianmanMA View Post
    what kind of answer is this???

^^ what he said.

Primarily you're at the peak of your natural testosterone production so that is absolutely in your favor. You're also still growing so you've got an opportunity to kick it up a notch. But you need to FEED yourself to fuel growth. Don't get hung up on protein shakes & creatine and other supplements before looking at your diet. You need to be sure to be eating enough & good quality REAL food.

The best things you can do for yourself are learn how to eat for growth and w/ your training, nail your form before getting too worried about "how much" you're lifting. Poor form & too much weight will just cause injury. At your age you don't want to start fucking up your body by creating imbalances due to poor form. I"m 43 and I've got a whole rainbow of tendonitis problems, but I've been lifting for nearly 30 yrs. I didn't have good coaches back in the day and I learned as I went. But if you've got the football coach and others around you helping - get your big core lifts down tight - squats, presses, pulls. Those will establish your foundation. THese are also functionally correct lifts - your body is designed to lift w/ full body moves. Don't look to accessory work like curls, etc to be the main source of your strength building. I'd even encourage you to go check out some basic hypertrophy programs like a 5x5. The Mark Rippetoe book is a great foundation book as well.

Nobody

Wow thanks for the help guys its much appreciated

You have received some excellent advice above. Keep it simple! Until you have abase of strength to work with I would'nt worry about suppliments. Take time to learn about food. I'm sure your also looking at muscle mags, use them for inspiration if you want but remember that most of that info s not relevant to you @ this stage.
    As a HS wrestling coach and S/C coach I set my athletes up with 3x6's or 5x5 programs for off season training. We also cycle thru power movements and functional strength i.e. core movements to develop repeatable maximal output.
    Good luck with your training, consistancy and smart choices will be the guide to your success.
    What have you done today to insure your success tomorrow?!

The weight will come, eventhough it seems like you can't gain a pound, you're just at that age where your routine is extremely active and your metabolism is extremely fast. First thing is first, you're an athlete. Your sport skill and overall health is the what is most important. Keep yourself in the mind set that the strength training that goes along with your sport training must be done with the exact same commitment mentally, intellectually as well as the obvious physiologically. You must take yourself and train maximally every rep, every set, every minute, everyday. You play with maximal effort. You must do everything as such. Don't confuse maximal effort with maximal loads. I'm not saying you have to do every single thing at 90% or more, infact for athletics the majority of your trainng will fall less than 90%. I'm saying you must do every movement, every jump, every sprint, every rep with a bar, to maximal effort. That's more important first than trying identify some improper form of western periodization that will have you stale and not progressing as you should. Do you best to read about block training from such people as Dr. Yuri Verkhoshansky, Dr. Vladimir Issurin, Dr. Anatoly Bonderchuk.

I would recommend talking to Mr. James Smith who is a Division I strength and conditioning coach speecializing in American Football who truely has the right idea when it comes to the energy system requirements by each position and how to properly condition the human body to perform such movements. He has his own website www.powerdevelopmentinc.com and does a phenominal job on the www.elitefts.com Q and A section. Pull up a lot of his posts, he does write as "the thinker" and just learn from him and by such people i referenced. I wish you luck in your football career but as many young people do, stay away from trying to be a certain bodyweight or stay away form the bodybuilding mentality, you're an athlete and you must perform as such. Good luck and hope this sheds some light on some information that might be new to you.

Quote Originally Posted by diehardlifts View Post
    Eat like crazy! Thats my first bit of advice, and stick to basic compound exercises. A great book for you and your FB coach to check out is Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, it literally has everything you need and is geared towards younger football players. As far as programs go until you get the book, check this website out. http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm <---A bit of a read, but worth it.

or I guess they make Starting strength on DVD as well. It goes through 5 basic barbell lifts including power cleans.
    http://www.aasgaardco.com/store/stor...on=show_detail

what kind of answer is this???
    Just giving the kid a good website full of bodybuilding info...routines, dietary advice, supplements, exercise instruction.
    what the hell is your problem? lmao