Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: How old and how has your training and diet changed.

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • 35+

11 10.19%
  • 40+

29 26.85%
  • 45+

23 21.30%
  • 50+

24 22.22%
  • 55+

12 11.11%
  • 60+

4 3.70%
  • 65+

1 0.93%
  • 70+

2 1.85%
  • 80+

0 0%
  • Not there yet but I am a BB for life

2 1.85%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Masters club, how old and how has your training and diet changed.

GeorgeForemanRules

Default Masters club, how old and how has your training and diet changed.

Thought it would be interesting to see who the Masters were out there. Please vote and tells a few things you have learned over the years, specifically how training at 40, 50, 60 or 70 plus differs from when you were a 20 something.

training has changed to a little lighter lbs. because of injuries.I seem to get injured very ez when i go heavy.so a big ego battle with myself.now i warm up for a min. of 30 min.dieting i have to be very strict. I put on fat very quickly now and cardio is a must now.The good things are i know a lot better what works for me -exercise and diet .Its a battle everyday always was always will be .just gets harder.I work with all twenty year olds im in better shape and look better then them all .Getting old aint for sissies

I still train very hvy. But I train with a great deal of control. I rely greatly on "Instinctive" training principles, altering a sessin depending on how the body feels or is responding. I decide days on/days off dependant on my recovery day to day.
    Diet;
    Up until recently I was eating to feed my strength, sometimes eating whatever I could to get the calories with only one rule; "Whites Not Right", ie sugar, flour, etc...
    Now, I'm eating with a goal in mind, my first show in Nov.
    What have you done today to insure your success tomorrow?!

Super Moderator Daibhí O'Buadain's Avatar

Less concern with how much I can lift.
    More concern with intensity, form and feel.

More recovery time required between workouts.

Lifting much heavier than I did in my twenties, but fewer exercises per body part, and requiring considerably more recovery time and attention to diet, approaching 60

Forum Leader: Politics & Religion The Celt's Avatar

Diabetes forced me to change my eating habits several years ago, but have been steadily putting it together more as the years progress. Learning what the body can still do and when not to push it too hard , taking more time off for recovery and accpeting that going light sometimes isn't going to hurt if the focus and intensity are there.
    “War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell

still lifting heavy , but have to be more carefull for injuries . recovery is more of an issue so training DC suits me , I just have to cruise as soon as my body begines telling me to.

Train harder and smarter to avoid injuries now that I am 52 but do only one bodypart per day...2 days on 1 day off

Train way harder now than I did in my 20's LOL and seeing good results - also tried gear for the 1st time last year. 'bout 2 years ago gave up alcohol - love it - feel so much better. Also changed up the diet, no mo sugar, white flour, etc. watching fats, etc. trying to get the max out of my body. Don't know why i didn't do this 10/20/30 years ago - guess i was focuses on my career & getting laid.

Nobody

I am more focused and driven now than I was in my twenties. I relied alot on natural strength but now am working hard to rebuild. I have said I want to be in better shape in my 40's than my twenties and getting there. I follow a more disciplined program and am seeing the results.

I am more focused on being lean then big. So, my eating habits have change and more cardio. I work out just as much, but stricter movements and less heaviness. I weighed 260 in 1990, now weigh 210.

AFTER TAKIN' SOME TIME OFF, BAD IN THE GYM IN 2006, UR BODY IS NOT LIKE IT WAS WHEN I WAS IN MY 20s, A LITTLE HARDER NOW YET I'M COMIN' BACK GOOD, DIET IS STILL NOT UP TO PUR, YET WORKIN' ON THAT AND YET MY MUSCLE R NOW STARTED TO KICK IN GROWTH

56 here. Unfortunately, my injury history dictates everything I do... major surgery on both shoulders, left knee, bad lower back. I always train hard, but I have to be creative, especially with my legs. I'd rather train heavy with the old standard squat, dead, and bench, but heavy ain't what it used to be. Doesn't matter. I'll never quit.

Dedicated Noob

I'm 42 now. Back into the game since April after a couple of years off. I was in the gym 5 days a week back from '99-'01. Been off and on since. I always thought that I was pushing myself. Now, the difference is that I have my 17yr. old son with me. As of now, he is thinking of doing a show in April '10. He is pushing me hard now. I set all kinds of PR's in the last week. He has too. I have found that I have to be waaayyy more strict with my food. I also have found out this last month that when I go heavy, I have to take more days off. Now it is a 2 on 1 off. I need that for recovery.
    Keep with it ya' old farts!!!!

Default Volume and carbs

The two biggest changes for me are the volume of my training and the amount of carbs I eat when dieting for a show. I used to train each bodypart twice a week with 12-20 sets per bodypart.This was from 1980 to about 1990. I trained six days a week in this fashion when I started . Then I switched to a 3 on 1 off format. Now I do about 5 total working sets per week in a full body workout every Friday. In the past my macros were 65c/30p/5f on a 2000 calorie diet when dieting for a show. Now they are about 40p/40f/20c at 3,000 calories a day. I used to start my diets 8-10 weeks out. Now I go 20-24 weeks.
    "My claim to fame? I went from being obese as a child to being the most nasty ripped man in the building."

Been doing this since 1952. Going into my 70th year I train harder, diet harder and walk the walk better than any other time in my life. Having 'been there done that' in every arena of Bodybuilding (titled competitor Natural and on gear, writer, National judge, MS Nutrition), with the exception of Pro, I will win the NPC Masters Nationals Over 70 in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldiewonkanobi View Post
    Been doing this since 1952. Going into my 70th year I train harder, diet harder and walk the walk better than any other time in my life. Having 'been there done that' in every arena of Bodybuilding (titled competitor Natural and on gear, writer, National judge, MS Nutrition), with the exception of Pro, I will win the NPC Masters Nationals Over 70 in 2010.
    Glad to hear you are still going strong. Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast