Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is glutamine an effective bodybuilding ergogenic?

Beach Body

Any chance we can get Layne and Eric B to comment on this??

It costs like $25 for 1000 grams. So is it worth it to try it? Why not. Figure out if you want to keep using it or not.
    Turn the other cheek and I'll break your fucking chin.

they put extra glutamine in all the protein powders anyway . But everything i have everread about says its good for bb

I've been using it religiously for quite awhile now and have not been sick in almost a year. Even if it doesn't help with muscle recovery, by keeping the immune system up and not becoming sick I'm not having to take a week or two break from the gym. So that in itself is a good enough bodybuilding bonus for me.
    "I am the ripper man, locomotion mind, love American style"

I am 39 and have been training for 20 years. I train heavy all the time and for the last 6 months that I have used 20g of glutamine a day my body has never felt better. My recuperation is spot on. Love it.
    Ding a dang dong my dang a long ling long

every year or so i decide to try it one more time to see if it really makes a difference. I know this year the reason I did was because Milos is a big advocate of it and using it in 20-40g doses at a time. Since I was doing his 3 shake protocol I decided I would implement the glutamine at 20g or so in each of 3 shakes. Im thinking I wasted my money. Like Legend said, most all things with glutamine are tested IV.
    There is a superior form that used to be available to us for a good price, however they realized how well it worked in hospitals and now the price is 4-8x more..making it unaffordable. The kind I'm speaking of is l-alanyl-l-glutamine.

I use 50+ grams a day religiously before during and after training. If it helps even a little then great.
    When Im dieting hard and feeling low sugar it helps alot till next meal time.

Default Is glutamine an effective bodybuilding ergogenic?

Does anyone here supplement with glutamine? Some IFBB Pro's like Jay Cutler and Phil Heath swear by it; They consume 5g with every carb-meal.

One rep told me to do-

5g AM, 10G Pre, 10G Post, 10G Before Bed - Training Days
    5g AM, 10G Before Bed - OFF Days

What's your input guys

Iron Addict

its expensive to run that much, But you GI tract does use alot of it, also all your meats and whey's have a good amount in them

Do the math, if you can afford it try it

Beach Body

Tipsta recommends using glutamine as it's a very good gda(plus other benefits of course).

i just finished listening to hany rambod on MD radio.and he claims that..dosage completley depends on the persons body weight.

5 g pre and post should do job for a person under 195 -200

and 10g pre and post for a person over 200

thats what i got form what he said...
    feel free to correct meif im wrong

You're going to get so many different opinions here.

I see efficacy in using it. i've seen results and I use it year round. I take 5 grams 2 hours after a meal and 30-min before my next meal 3-4 times/day and I take 5 grams pre and post and 10 grams during. I usually get around 35-40 grams daily.
    TEAM P/RR/S ELITE
    www.fitcorps.net

J.O.E-nwk

Yea i use it year round too.. 5 grams pre and post w/o and i also take down that nasty liquid amino acid post workout and its worked for me..

just went and picked up some glutamine today. kinda excited to experiment with dosages gonna try 5g b/w meals (3-4x) and then vary dosaged either pre or post. heard its best on empty stomach so thats what i will do. but i dont know if i should take it pre w/o or how i should time it pre w/o because i just got some labrada super charge and am enjoying it for focus and generally well-being. feels like i take the stuff and i wanted to lift every weight and bang every woman in the gym. so would it be cool to just add 5g to the supercharge? idk i guess thats why its experimenting

30 grams day for me. 10 pre training , 10 post training and 10 before bed. Off days I still take 30g. Just started doing this a few weeks back as I am almost 40 and in pain most of the time joint wise.
    Ding a dang dong my dang a long ling long

Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid (building block of protein) in the bloodstream. It is considered a "conditionally essential amino acid" because it can be manufactured in the body, but under extreme physical stress the demand for glutamine exceeds the body's ability to make it. Most glutamine in the body is stored in muscles followed by the lungs, where much of the glutamine is manufactured. Glutamine is important for removing excess ammonia (a common waste product in the body). In the process of picking up ammonia, glutamine donates it when needed to make other amino acids, as well as sugar, and the antioxidant glutathione.

Several types of important immune cells rely on glutamine for energy. Without glutamine, the immune system would not function appropriately. Glutamine also appears to be necessary for normal brain function and digestion.

Adequate amounts of glutamine are generally obtained through diet alone because the body is also able to make glutamine on its own. Certain medical conditions, including injuries, surgery, infections, and prolonged stress, can deplete glutamine levels, however. In these cases, glutamine supplementation may be helpful.

Athletes who train excessively may deplete their glutamine stores. This is because they are overusing their skeletal muscles, where much of the glutamine in the body is stored. Athletes who overstress their muscles (without adequate time for recovery between workouts) may have lowered immunity and may be at increased risk for infection or slow recovery from injuries. This is also true for people who participate in prolonged exercise, such as ultra-marathon runners. For this select group of athletes, glutamine supplementation may be useful. This is not true, however, for most exercisers who tend to work out at a much more moderate intensity.

Dietary sources of glutamine include plant and animal proteins such as beef, pork and poultry, milk, yogurt, ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, raw spinach, raw parsley, and cabbage.

Glutamine, usually in the form of L-glutamine, is available as an individual supplement or as part of a protein supplement. These come in powder, capsule, tablet, or liquid form.

Standard preparations are typically available in 500 mg tablets or capsules.

For adults ages 18 and older: Doses of 500, 1 - 3 times daily, are generally considered safe. Doses as high as 5,000 - 15,000 mg daily (in divided doses) may be prescribed by a health care provider.

As an oral rinse: Place 16 gm (one tablespoonful) of glutamine powder in 240 ml (8 ounces) normal saline or sterile water and mix. Then, swish 30 - 60 ml (1 - 2 ounces) and expectorate, 4 times a day, for radiation therapy-induced mucositis and chemotherapy-induced stomatitis.

Quote Originally Posted by J.O.E-nwk View Post
    Yea i use it year round too.. 5 grams pre and post w/o and i also take down that nasty liquid amino acid post workout and its worked for me..
    Get rid of your liquid aminos and do yourself a favor and buy some CHAIN'D OUT. I promise you, it is teh best tasting drink you've ever had.
    TEAM P/RR/S ELITE
    www.fitcorps.net

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast