Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is glutamine an effective bodybuilding ergogenic?

so i have been taking the glutamine on an empty stomach with water (5g at a time) between meals but it tastes so blah ha. would it hurt to add in crystal light? or would something interfere?

take it in tablet form...

ok i guess i could try tablets lol but since i already have the powder would it hurt to add or no?

The "old" science of glutamine is out the window fella's.

Glutamine= expensive sugar

Ask Layne Norton, or search some old threads.

Quote Originally Posted by natron View Post
    The "old" science of glutamine is out the window fella's.

Glutamine= expensive sugar

Ask Layne Norton, or search some old threads.

glutamine is an amino acid...i disagree with your statement....

I know it's an amino acid, it's actions in the body are that of a sugar, much like dextrose. Science my friend, not "brotelligence".

This is a proven action by the way, not hypothetical.

its action is like sugar...hmm. i really want to see the argument against this cause just taking dextrose on an empty stomach between meals and pre/post workout i couldnt imagine does the same thing as glutamine regarding glucose disposal, muscle fullness that has been explained across these forums.

You see, unfortunately, not much glutamine makes it into the bloodstream from oral supplementation. When glutamine enters the small intestine and is absorbed into the mucosal cell, it is then metabolized via brush boarder enzymes to two different products. One product is alanine which is created from the alpha nitrogen on glutamine, the other product is the carbon skelaton left over with the epsilon nitrogen. This carbon skelaton is then oxidized by the gut for fuel while the ammonia group is excreted, or may enter the urea cycle. The alanine from this process is sent to the liver via the portal vein where it is used to form glucose via gluconeogenesis. It is in this way that our body prevents us from overloading ourselves with individual amino acids. The liver and mucosal cells act as a buffer to the peripheral tissues. If this buffer wasn't in place it could have dire health consequences. So to recap, you can't overload yourself with certain amino acids, b/c before ANY nutrient that is orally administered enters the blood stream, it has to pass by the liver, and since the liver regulates amino acid levels, if it "sees" that things may get out of wack it will retain these substrates for gluconeogenesis (making glucose from amino acids) which it will then pass on to the peripheral tissues.

From Layne by the way

According to Dr. Scott Connelly too much glutamine can spike insulin and actually cause fat storage!I heard 3 to 5 grams is enough.

hmm interesting, but i thought gluconeogenesis only occured when not enough carbs are present for glucose use? or could this mean that it will be stored in the liver so it can possibly be used for glucose and if not needed it could then as Big Al mentioned spike the insulin and store as fat? Honestly after a few days of in between 5g a meal use i have felt like my gut health has been improving so for this fact i like it, and i heard it can help take acidity away so then that keeps the bad bacteria in the gut at bay. Anyways very interesting.

well...studies, as opinions, vary....not that expensive....shooting test, might as well take the amino acids....

Believe it or not, some studies are done correctly, without bias. Personally, I'll take solid science over "Dude, I'm so swole on this shit!".

Quote Originally Posted by natron View Post
    Believe it or not, some studies are done correctly, without bias. Personally, I'll take solid science over "Dude, I'm so swole on this shit!".

right...i'll take science over that also...what i said however, is studies vary...not that they were not done correctly...you take BCAAs?

nope, I use whey isolate.

When cutting and doing a lot of cardio, I take about 30-40 grams post workout, with about 15-20 grams whey... and no carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    When cutting and doing a lot of cardio, I take about 30-40 grams post workout, with about 15-20 grams whey... and no carbs.
    Dextrose would be cheaper, IMO

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast