Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is muscle maturity?

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    The term "muscle maturity" is not a true scientific phenomena in that you don't get more detailed muscles with age necessarily. It is true that that skin thins with age to some degree and some young men will have some subcutaneous fat (i.e. "baby fat") that they might lose with age, but with the right conditioning a 25 year old's muscle will look just as "mature" as that of a 40 year old with similar conditioning.
    So what is muscle maturity.. lol. it seems nobody knows.. good point you have made.

I think it is a relative term to the progress a bodybuilder has made closest to his best.

Quote Originally Posted by psypower View Post
    So what is muscle maturity.. lol. it seems nobody knows.. good point you have made.

I think it is a relative term to the progress a bodybuilder has made closest to his best.
    It is just a coined name to describe a particular look that some bodybuilders achieve, nothing more...

Where do people get this stuff? You may want to recheck your thoughts on muscle fibers.

I get it from scientific papers
    I spend my days reading them
    you may be interested by what is called muscle compartmentalization
    English and Wolf have writen good reviews about it
    I doubt you are aware of them

Quote Originally Posted by Gundill View Post
    type II fibers are located at the periphery of the mucles. The more you train, the more they develop allowing your muscles to get detailed and "mature"
    Never heard that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shoulders View Post
    Muscle maturity is the condition of a particular muscle or grouping that has undergone and adapted to years of continuous hyper-atrophy and has developed accordingly
    What he said,..... and in my opinion it is the Muscle you have earned and kept for a long time and does not dissolve soon as your off training for two months clean.

I have been training 20 years and I have had my ups and downs of injury, bad bad ones and still six months out of that gym clean and not eating the best there is and still a certain level of Mass in me that never goes away stays.

I earned it clean and that is what I call Muscle maturinty.

How many young guys 18 to 20 that have never put there time in, go on a cycle and six months later look like they never touch a weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam McVey View Post
    500 dollars to anyone that can tell me what the fuck darrem charles is doing with his arms during his posing routines?????????

hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Loco View Post
    Yeah, cool definition. Now can someone please post evidence of it's actual existance?
    Here is some evidence....Me @ 51 Y/O
    http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...s/IMG_0030.jpg
    http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...s/IMG_0031.jpg

"Muscle maturity" is going to be a blanket term that encompasses a variety of phenomena, similar to "genetics".

I think part of it is increasing capillary density with age. Even if your muscles don't necessarily increase in circumference/size, if you keep training that muscle hard, you will increase the amount of capillaries (hence the "veinier" and "grainier" look to the muscles).

I think part of it is one's style of training. Perfect example: Dorian vs. Cutler. Dorian is a classic "pump lifter". He never really "strains" during his sets-- he just "pumps" with the weight. By contrast, picture Dorian straining on his single-arm preacher curl in "Blood and Guts", and how hard he was straining with his biceps muscle. In so doing, he was pushing all of the veins out, along with all of the muscle fibers, and holding it there for a much longer period. Doing this repeatedly over years is bound to make those features "stand out" better. (I personally think this is a large part of the reason why Cutler has NO muscular maturity, and looks very "soft", and has virtually no vascularity.) For proof of this point, look at those who train with heavy weights and high intensity (Ronnie, Branch, Dorian, etc.) and look at how "mature" their muscles are.

Part of it is just getting super-shredded. If you're carrying bodyfat, you won't be able to SEE that "density".

Part of it is lifting heavy, and thus stimulating "deeper muscle fibers" that can't be hit with conventional exercises and lighter weights. I'm sorry, as great as Dennis Wolfe is, he's not going to have a superb-looking back until he decides to ante up and deadlift over 315. I know he wants to keep his waist small, but to REALLY develop those erectors, he's going to have to train heavier. Cutler accepted the same thing in '06 and started doing heavier deadlifts, BB rows, T-bar rows, etc., and look at the results-- his back finally got thick and "mature".

I think all of the above contributes to the phenomenon known as "muscle maturity". Heath has a pretty "mature" look to his muscles because his fascia is so thin, that everything just "pops". But as he trains heavier over time, he will definately look *more* mature, and will have *more* stuff "pop".

-lifepulse

Quote Originally Posted by Gundill View Post
    I get it from scientific papers
    I spend my days reading them
    you may be interested by what is called muscle compartmentalization
    English and Wolf have writen good reviews about it
    I doubt you are aware of them
    Really? Refer me to the papers that provided me the information you stated so that I might confirm the information.

Default What is muscle maturity?

to quote a fellow MD Member this is muscle maturity?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0,,6172718,00.jpg 
Views:	4139 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	143558   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23tlf2o.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	143559  
    Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

old muscle? What immature muscles?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shoulders View Post
    Sorry dude, you def got great guns- but neither seperated og defined!
    Muscle maturity is comlete and utter bs!

Quote Originally Posted by Norway Power View Post
    Muscle maturity comes from a thinning of the fascia tissue surrounding the muscles allowing more separation between muscles and especially in the muscles themselves. This comes from years of training, also an older man or woman has thinner skin which allows the onion look a younger bodybuilder has trouble achieving
    Great post and info, thanks
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Quote Originally Posted by UkrainianGuy View Post
    to quote a fellow MD Member this is muscle maturity?
    No the guy on the right is all about medicare and socialsecURITY
    I am near 50 now and will admit the ol boy in the pic could beat my fat ass in a posedown now.
    I am off to the treadmill, now......
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

It is just a coined name to describe a particular look that some bodybuilders achieve, nothing more...
    Coined name sounds right to me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Synth View Post
    Good Point!!!!
    Geriatric flesh tastes tough compared to teenagers.
    Mature muscle needs to be BBQ'd and or slow cooked over a low pit fire.
    I think this is more compelling than the thinning fascia idea - I mean, how thin can fascia get before it just snaps!

Case in point is veal; known for it's tender texture. Veal is also affected by how a calf is fed leading up to it being sliced and diced. There seems to be a change in muscular architecture over the years - influenced by diet and physical demands (training). The questions is then what? What is it that causes muscle to become tough? And, does "tough" muscle look better at low body fats... this idea seems to align well with the "grainy" look.

^^very good point. Hopefully we can get Dave Palumbo's input on this

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast