Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can bodybuilders target and develop the "inner" chest?

Default Chest Training

I need advice on how to bring up my outer and lower chest. I heard taking a wider grip is the way to go along with some other things. Has anyone delt with this issue with there chest training and if so send let me know your current chest routine. Thanks for any advice. P.S. My chest always seems to get better as I diet down and I loose fat in my lower chest and arm pit area. I just want to get that area more cut up. Thanks! Train safe and smart Joe Leahy.

My first post!
    but I am so glad I came across this. I have the same problem. Anyone out there with any answers?

Me myself I would specifically focus on your lower chest for one whole workout a week.
    I start with weighted dips leaning foward elbows out, second I do decline db bench press, third is decline flyes deep stretches, sometimes Ill throw in a few sets of wide grip flat bench somewhere and sometimes I'll throw in db pullovers. Last exercise Ill finish wit cable crossovers burn it out either by drop sets, rest pauses or an fst7 method.IMO

You wont be able to do much (anything) for your "outer chest" I'm afraid. As for decline presses I havent seen figures showing that it gives any significant (or any) increase in the activity of your lower chest. That is more or less up to what you personally feel work.

Default Working Inner Chest

Quick question guys...

So as of recent I have been having trouble developing the inner part of my chest. You know the part right between your pecs where your rib cage connects?

I have had GREAT results with every other part of my pecs especially the outtermost portion, however the very middle has almost no muscle there and you can damn near feel my ribs when I touch there.

How do I fix this?

Here is a sample of my normal chest routine:

Flat Bench - 3 sets of 10
    Wide Press Flat Bench - 3 sets of 10
    Incline Bench Press - 3 sets of 10
    Pectoral Flys - 3 sets of 10.

I used to also incorporate a close grip flat bench press in there to try to work my inner chest, however it began to really hurt my wrists, as well as I read that it was more working my triceps out then anything else anyway.

So what do you guys suggest? What exercise can I do to get the same great results that I have had with the rest of my pecs to migrate to the innermost part?

-Sayajin

GeorgeForemanRules

Quote Originally Posted by Sayajin View Post
    Quick question guys...

So as of recent I have been having trouble developing the inner part of my chest. You know the part right between your pecs where your rib cage connects?

I have had GREAT results with every other part of my pecs especially the outtermost portion, however the very middle has almost no muscle there and you can damn near feel my ribs when I touch there.

How do I fix this?

Here is a sample of my normal chest routine:

Flat Bench - 3 sets of 10
    Wide Press Flat Bench - 3 sets of 10
    Incline Bench Press - 3 sets of 10
    Pectoral Flys - 3 sets of 10.

I used to also incorporate a close grip flat bench press in there to try to work my inner chest, however it began to really hurt my wrists, as well as I read that it was more working my triceps out then anything else anyway.

So what do you guys suggest? What exercise can I do to get the same great results that I have had with the rest of my pecs to migrate to the innermost part?

-Sayajin
    You can not target the "inner" or "outer" chest.

Next question...

Warrior, was that really a dumb question? You have inner and outer calves and such, is it so odd to assume you have multiple pec muscles?

Anyway, thx for the answer. I will just continue to do as I have been and im sure that it will eventually work out.

-Sayajin

I thought it was standard practice close grip bench, cable crossover and longer contraction hold at top of flys and bench to build inner chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayajin View Post
    Warrior, was that really a dumb question? You have inner and outer calves and such, is it so odd to assume you have multiple pec muscles?

Anyway, thx for the answer. I will just continue to do as I have been and im sure that it will eventually work out.

-Sayajin
    This has been answered and debated a thousand times here - just use the search function located in the top nav bar.

But in short, without going into anatomy, your shape is mostly determined by mom and pop. How your muscles evolve in response to progressive resistance training is a genetic phenomenon. Plus, nine times out of 10, people who want to develop a "greater inner chest" lack fullness to begin with... many avoid sweatin' out heavy barbell presses yet complain about no "inner" chest. "I keep doing machine crossovers but my inner chest sucks!" I'm not saying that's you, but take a look in the mirror. Is your chest full? If your only 6-foot and 170 pounds, an indent separating your left and right pecs is going to be absent, unless your shredded... likewise, if your big and strong but over 20 percent body fat, it will be absent... its that simple. If you want a better "inner chest", train your chest using progressive overloads and feed the growth... then diet to a reasonable body fat to carve out the grissel...

GeorgeForemanRules

Quote Originally Posted by abcwarrior View Post
    I thought it was standard practice close grip bench, cable crossover and longer contraction hold at top of flys and bench to build inner chest.
    Nope, that is just bad uneducated myth.

Stop reading Muscle and Fitness

Actually I got that from the Arnold shchwartzanegger bodybuilding encyclopedia (by arnold), and the close grip bench thing was in MD.

Actually I got that from the Arnold shchwartzanegger bodybuilding encyclopedia (by arnold), and the close grip bench thing was in MD.
    Arnold was blessed with amazing genetics... 'nuff said.

Some people believe that the architecture of the pec muscles lends itself to some sort of shaping... I don't buy it. There are obvious changes when focusing on lower and upper chest areas (using flat versus incline planes of movement, respectively), but not an "inner" or "outer" fragment. Aside from upper and lower portions of the fan-shaped muscle, the main sub sections to train for thick pecs are pec major and minor. Also, the anterior delts play a big role in chest presentation. But there is no "inner" or "outer" separation and to train for it is ridiculous, IMHO.

Different exercises definitely shift the tension to different areas of the chest. I'm not saying you can directly isolate the "inner chest" but when I do crossovers I can definitly feel something going on in there, haha

when will these sort of statements finally go away

WHEN?!?!?!?!
    MorphogenNutrition.com
    Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

What warrior and some other said, is solid advice.

Also, with enough chest MASS, it will all fill in. Heavy barbell presses, high volume, train to failure, then hit the machines and repeat. Dont leave until you have KILLED THAT SHIT severely. Thats how I do things

Now excuse me. I have a grilled flesh sandwhich to eat. Wouldnt want it to scurry away

FUCKLES

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast