Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can bodybuilders target and develop the "inner" chest?

I found that (in the beginning) when I first started to lift hard and heavy and talking on this site I learned a lot about what I "thought" I already knew. I found in trial and error that lifting the heaviest weight I can while focusing on the muscle I am trying to work and using the "right" muscle to actually handle the weight and not cheating by using others is the answer. Back when i complained about and asked endless questions about working different parts of the chest and LEARNED to do what I mentioned above I started to see results immediately. You see all these photos in mags of guys doing whatever!!! You have to really focus on the form and function of the muscle as you are grunting your ass off, to really do it correctly is harder than many think.

Not saying that anyone who posted above does not focus on these already but this is just my two pennies! When I changed the way I benched and stopped the focus on the amount of weight the chest made some changes, now that being said I still have workouts (at least one a month each body part) where I go as heavy as possible in a power lifting format. That is just me I like the to mix it up and this keeps me from getting boared...
    Riff

Doing it one pound at a time!!!!

a picture's worth a thousand words, that pic says it all thanks warrior.

i jizz on my chest, the 2grams of protien absorb thru the skin.

Dedicated Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Youngguns View Post
    Flat barbell presses- builds the most muscle. You cannot shape muscle, only grow or shrink it. See your build right now, it will stay the same, only get bigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by philborg View Post
    someone starts an inner chest thread every few months, we're used to it by now.

Like youngguns said there is no way to shape a muscle; there is no such thing as inner chest, just focus on building your overall chest, that's all you can do
    Quote Originally Posted by dan1234 View Post
    no such thing dude, only upper and lower chest because they are actual muscles. you can stimulate them each by selecting special exercises like incline and decline presses.

but what you cant do is target part of a muscle fiber like inner and outer chest. or like bicep peak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    As everyone said, there is no "inner chest" muscle. Just work on the basics, using progressive overloads and the muscle will fill out... then you have to trim the grissel off to get it to jump out... that, and genetics.
    Quote Originally Posted by ForemanRules View Post
    You can not target the "inner" or "outer" chest.

Next question...
    Quote Originally Posted by ForemanRules View Post
    Nope, that is just bad uneducated myth.
    Actually. . . YOU CAN!

We can shape our muscles to a certian degree depending on our genetic limits. And there is scientific evidence to support this.

IMO it is possible to train the "inner" chest and the "upper/lower" abdominals.

Now yes i know there is no inner/outer chest and that there is only a upper/lower chest, BUT you can train the inner part of your chest by preforming certin exercises which rip more muscle firbes towards the centre of your chest.

Here is some scientific proof. (with refrences)

Now you probally think that muscle fibres span the entire length of a muscle, as one single muscle fibre? Well your incorrect.

Muscle fibres DO NOT span the entire length of a muscle, as one single muscle fibre.
    Muscle fibers are actually segmented and joined with other muscle fibers/segments to form a long ensemble that will eventually link both attachments together.
    Each strip/segment of a muscle fiber is selectively linked to its own set of motor axons. This means that not only are muscle fibers really divided into shorter segments aligned in series, BUT THAT EACH SEGMENT HAS ITS OWN SOURCE OF ACTIVATION.

Therefore it is possible to train the "inner" chest. By perfoming certin exercise which cause greater stress towards the inner chest, Now you cannot fully isolate the inner chest but depending on the exercise you can "emphasize" the inner chest.

Just like many people believe that the rectus abdominus is one muscle (which is correct) and that it is activated equally when you contract it (which is incorrect!)

A study done at the University of Valencia in Spain compared the average EMG activity of the upper and lower abs during a curl-up and posterior pelvic tilt exercise. They found that it is true that the stomach crunch or curl does elicit greater rectus abdominus activity in the upper abs while doing posterior pelvic tilt exercises hits the lower abs better as long as they?re performed correctly!

REFRENCES:

Regional Muscle Hypertrophy

Notions of muscle hypertrophy

Jose Antonio, Ph.D., CSCS, FACSM

http://www.joseantoniophd.com/websit...cles.php?id=17

So basically for the upper abs, curl-ups or crunches are best and for the lower abs, posterior pelvic tilt exercises will place more stress on the lower region of the abs. Even though all abs are contracting, the stress is not applyed evenly.

But anyway fuck that science bullshit even though it proves that it is possible to train the inner chest upper/lower abs. I still go by this quote:

"You want science and studies? Fuck you. I got blood, scars and vomit"

And i deffently think that this quote deffently applys to the following information i am about to post.

Take a look at Charles Glass for example, one of the top pro trainers in the world trains at golds gym, has trained many IFBB pro bodybuilders, famous actors, basket ball teams, this guy trains anyone and everyone. He has also competed in Mr. Olympia. Charles Glass is top dog in weight training knows everything. And just watch some of his videos he mentions "inner chest"

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glasscut3.htm

Also Ronnie Coleman. Listen to what he says about training biceps and preforming EZ bar 21's he says that the top part of the exercise hits the upper bicep and the lower part of the exercise hits the lower bicep. But there is no upper/lower bicep right? Only a inner and outer bicep (long-head and short-head) which is correct! but preforming this exercise with a certin ROM it ripps more muscle firbes towards the upper or lower bicep depending on what stage of the exercise you are preforming.

Now like i said before its not isolating the area of a muscle but simply emphasizing the area.

Here is a video of Ronnie Coleman talking about upper and lower bicep. (1:20+)

Now you cant tell me Charles Glass and Ronnie Coleman dont know what there talking about? Also take any other IFBB pro like Phill Heath.

In the Muscle and Fitness magazine [september 29, 2008 - Page 200] There is an interview with Phill the man himself. He clearly stats that he used the ISO press machine and cable cross-overs to fill out his inner chest. He mentions that the key is to squeeze through the entire movement and you can feel it in the middle chest.

Belive what you want though, not attacking you guys just adding in my 2 cents in what i belive. And i will continue to belive that you can train the inner chest and upper/lower abs unless proved otherwise.

Dedicated Noob

The link dosent work for some reason, but here it is again.

http://www.joseantoniophd.com/websit...cles.php?id=17

As mentioned there is scientific backup to the fact that it's possible to gain different amounts of activity within the muscles. However at the moment this is seen more as a purely theoretical fact rather than something that can create any real visual difference.

I have to say when I do close grip bench press I feel it extremely hard on the inner upper chest.

Default Pre-exhaustion technique

I think everyone can develop or improve specific areas in their muscle, even the inner pec region. I think most people have given great advice, I just have something else to add to the debate. Flex your pecs right now. If you have a weak inner pec region, then you probably can't flex that part of the muscle. You can probably only flex the outer region, right? Basically, you don't have a good mind-muscle connection with that area. What you want to work on right now is developing that mind-muscle connection with the inner pec region. Try pre-exhausting the inner pec region before you do your pressing movements. Here's what I suggest:

-4 to 5 sets of your favorite inner pec exercise x 12 to 20 reps*
    *Why the high reps and volume for one exercise? If anyone has ever tried to train a newbie to weights, you know that they really lack the mind-muscle connection, and usually higher reps work best for them, initially. Think of your inner pec area as a newbie to weights - it needs higher reps to feel anything.
    -Commence with your normal chest workout, which probably begins with some sort of pressing movement, and be as intense as you can.
    -End your workout with another inner pec exercise to really fry that area; 3 to 4 sets x 10 to 15 reps

For the pre-exhaust sets, go SLOW on the negative, POWER through the positive, and make each rep DELIBERATE to feel that inner pec region burn - NO EGO LIFTING. I find that shortening the range of motion on cable crossovers or other flye-type machines allows me to feel the burn more in my inner pec area.

Now, you'll notice that after you pre-exhaust your inner pecs, you'll feel a better connection during your pressing movements. The recommended workout above will not in itself build up your inner pec region, but it will help you develop a better mind-muscle connection to this area. Use the pre-exhaust technique for about a MONTH, then switch back to your usually chest training, which probably starts with a pressing movement. Hit it hard and heavy. Now that you improved your mind-muscle connection with this area of your chest, your inner pec region will automatically contract harder than before, thus giving you the desired thickness. You may have to cycle back and forth between utilizing pre-exhaust techniques and your usual training for a few months, but eventually you'll get it. Once you establish a good mind-muscle connection with this area, you probably won't ever have to use pre-exhaust techniques for this area. Also, utilize many of the comments you already received on this topic in conjunction with my advice. Give it a try, it can't hurt.

GeorgeForemanRules

Quote Originally Posted by JOSEF RAKICH View Post
    Actually. . . YOU CAN!

We can shape our muscles to a certian degree depending on our genetic limits. And there is scientific evidence to support this.
    Hahahahaha

Post it then.

We really need to start a thread with basic anatomy. It's amazing how many people work out with little to no knowledge of actual muscle function and structure.
    your only as strong as your mind, so consider yourself weak.
    Yep...cats before cunts like my grandma always used to say. - BBOY

You can target the inner chest area. In fact, it's the hardest area of my entire pec. All you have to do is concentrate on dumbell flies. Just make sure when you bring the dumbells together you extend your arms fully and squeez your chest muscels really hard. Gradually go up in weight as you gain inner chest strength. Have fun

hey if you can find multi function towers where on the inside the handles can freely slide up and down slide them so the stopper ball behind the carabeaner is shoulder hight...grab the stopper between thumb and index pulms up and bring in w/ slight elbow bend...that really works well for my inner chest...try it and let me know

First of all, welcome Preston.

Second of all, I don't care what the studies show, certain grips and movements definitely hit the inner chest harder. A question to all of the naysayers: can you really not feel the difference? I can definitely feel when I am hitting the inner or outer part of the chest (even though they don't exist).

GeorgeForemanRules

Quote Originally Posted by danthewildcat View Post
    First of all, welcome Preston.

Second of all, I don't care what the studies show, certain grips and movements definitely hit the inner chest harder. A question to all of the naysayers: can you really not feel the difference? I can definitely feel when I am hitting the inner or outer part of the chest (even though they don't exist).
    Great post, I don't care that studies show smoking tobacco can kill you. I don't believe it so I smoke 3 packs a day.

thebeast23

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeForemanRules View Post
    Worst advice I have read all year in the training section. Please do not post any advice until you at least learn basic Anatomy and Physiology.
    dude what he said actually works, dont be disrespectful like that again....

i think people are confusing mind muscle connection with actual stimulus to the area.
    Change grip and width of grip may feel as though your hitting a certain area more but more likely you are stretching the muscle more. Also you might be mentally tricking yourself due to poor mind/muscle connection. Mental connection with a certain grip may be stronger than with another.
    your only as strong as your mind, so consider yourself weak.
    Yep...cats before cunts like my grandma always used to say. - BBOY

Quote Originally Posted by chuckattude View Post
    inner chest is hit with a wider grip on a pressing movements. depending on the part of the inner if it upper, miiddle or lower. do flyes at that angle. do the flyes that pros are doing to be able to get more weight. its like a mix of a press/ flye. where your elbows are a 70-90 degree bent. if you youtube it you'll see how Victor and Jay do it.
    hmmm i would like to disagree with this as cable crossovers/pec decks and flys brought to the very top all work the "Ridges" of your inner chest making a side chest more effective...There is an inner chest even Arnold agrees with me (Read his book) but he does not recommend doing crossovers first in your workout

Dedicated Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Norway Power View Post
    Yes it's another chest training thread. I have a week chest but I'm realy lacking a inner chest, can you help me by giving me some tips to help grow my inner chest, thanks.

Man I hear this shit all the time. Everybody got this way of training and that.
    My inner pecs where every weak while my lower and outer pecs seemed to gain mass quickly.
    This is my own personal experience. I been bodybuilding as a hobby since 1990 and tried all the tricks. First I stopped listening to people who donít have faces or look like shit. Next I started to learn about what works for me. And guess what bud my inner upper pecs are built up nicely now. You have to find out what works for you. I could tell you what worked for me but hell our genetics are a bit different. It may not help you as much. Most of these people are trolls who havenít spent any real time in the gym bro. You need to learn about your body and what works for you the best. Spend some time with different chest exercises learn to feel where they are hitting. A lot of people who say you cant develop muscle in that way usually just go through the motions and never build a solid foundation. Mind muscle connection is important. But remember that your genetics will give you the shape.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast