Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can bodybuilders target and develop the "inner" chest?

Nobody

I also have a weak chest like one of the posts i just saw, usually i do a few good weeks of just dumbbell work then move back over to the barbell..that works pretty good for me

Nobody

Yeh there is a sort of inner chest too, and cable crossovers in my experience and with common knowledge should be done after your heavier movements, bench, incline, etc

I recognized I got the same problem like yours after two first years of training 8 years ago. I try some ways: narrow grip bench press, dumbbell fly, staying still on peak when dumbbell press, cable… but nothing happened. One day, a guy told me that it is just because my two pec muscles are a little farther from each other than others’ and they are not thick enough so the guy said “it looks like a valley, so you have to fill stuff on it, do not waste time to your lousy ways like you did before, what you need right now is real bench presses and dumbbell presses for thickness…” two years later, I stick to the advice and my pecks are bigger and thicker, and so they are closer also. I got a thick peck and good inner chest at the same time. I hope my experience also works to you.

Default it is size matter

I recognized I got the same problem like yours after two first years of training 8 years ago. I try some ways: narrow grip bench press, dumbbell fly, staying still on peak when dumbbell press, cable… but nothing happened.

One day, a guy told me that it is just because my two pec muscles are a little farther from each other than others’ and they are not thick enough so the guy said “it looks like a valley, so you have to fill stuff on it, do not waste time to your lousy ways like you did before, what you need right now is real bench presses and dumbbell presses for thickness…” two years later, I stick to the advice and my pecks are bigger and thicker, and so they are closer also. I got a thick peck and good inner chest at the same time.

I hope my experience also works to you.

GeorgeForemanRules

Quote Originally Posted by thebeast23 View Post
    dude what he said actually works, dont be disrespectful like that again....
    I have to point out horrible uneducated posts like his, sorry you want to ignore science but that is your problem not mine.

*if some of this information is a repost i appologize, i'm not going to read 3 pages*

a few things will factor how well you will be able to develop your chest overall

1. the lenght of the tendons that connect your pecs to your sternum, if these, the length of these tendons will determine how much of a gap is between your left and right pec. Also, where these tendons attach to the sternum/rib cage.

2. the exercises you do, in order to achieve hypertrophy effectively *note, you want to maximum results from all your effort, don't fuck yourself and puss out by lifting lazy* you will need to stretch and contract the pecs to ther maximum potential

3. understanding how the pecs work, the pecs actually help move your arm across the torso, they are involved in other movements but they mostly move the arm from a start position that is extended away from the torso to a end position that is infront of the torso

learn your mind muscle connection and you'll be good to go.

its pretty frustrating to have 15-20 guys on here that keep posting things like:

"man, when i do this excercise i definitely feel the burn in my inner pec, so you're full of shit, i can definitely target my inner chest"

Go look up some basic anatomy and you'll find out pretty quickly that you have ABSOLUTELY no idea what you're talking about. You cannot target inner or outer pectoral muscles, your body is physically not able to separately work a differennt part of your chest on a horizontal plane (this excludes decline and incline as they are on a vertical plane.)

Furthermore, are you going to argue with BB's who have decades of lifting experience behind them, and more importantly, dozens of studies that prove contrary to what you believe is correct?

Hate to break it to you but Ronnie Coleman is the same guy who covered his grilled chicken with 3 cups of master piece BBQ sauce and said it was a zero carb meal. Most of the IFBB guys dont know much about training and diet for the averge guy. they were blessed with insane genetics and will grow off pretty much anything.

You cant change the shape of your muscle belly, you can only make them bigger. If you dont have a full thick chest like arnold that comes down low and hangs off the side of your lat you never will. someone else said it on the first page, you just have to train heavy and hard and develop a the best chest "you" can.

Mess around with volume and training frequency, i feel the chest "needs" to be hit 2x a week if its a problem area. People also dont really know how to hit the chest when they train chest. They blast there delts and tris, i see this all the time. If you bench all the time but after your done on the bench your delts are all pumped odds are you barely hit you chest. most people need to learn how to focus on the chest while they train it, pick movements that really hit "your" chest hard, dont worry about what other people say are the best chest movements. Basic tip, push your chest up and your shoulder blades back. Plant your toes/feet on the floor a create a solid base. some people get on the tips of there toes, suck there stomach in and base off there traps. alot of powerlifters do that. once again you must find out what works for you. just dont be one of those dudes who kick there feet all over the place when they start to strugle....bad idea

Last but not least, most peoples body fat % is to high to really see there chest. The chest is not that big of a muscle, i feel bf% needs to be at least 12% to really get the idea of what it looks like really lean.

Lets recap.....lol
    1) Train heavy and hard
    2) Mess around with your training volume and frequency
    3) Learn how to target the chest during pressing movements
    4) pick movements that work "for you"
    5) Don't get to fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Youngguns View Post
    Flat barbell presses- builds the most muscle. You cannot shape muscle, only grow or shrink it. See your build right now, it will stay the same, only get bigger.

You can't shape a muscle? Uhh....yeah you can...You just have to know what you are doing.

For example: The shoulders. You can create different looks. Focusing alot on presses for the front deltoids will give it an unbalanced look. While developing the rear deltoid and doing little front deltoids will have a more balanced look.

Now for the chest: The role of the pectorialis is to bring the arm across the body (as in bringing arms together like giving a hug, and then some). The pressing movements only cover a certain range for that motion, thus, muscular development will ensue along the deltoids and surrounding area (outer chest).

To work the inner chest would mean to do the actual range of motion for the chest. Which is like a hugging motion, or a cable crossover type of motion NOT a press.

GeorgeForemanRules

Quote Originally Posted by alfalphie View Post
    You can't shape a muscle? Uhh....yeah you can...No you can't You just have to know what you are doing.

For example: The shoulders. You can create different looks. Focusing alot on presses for the front deltoids will give it an unbalanced look. While developing the rear deltoid and doing little front deltoids will have a more balanced look.
    That is developing the muscles, not shaping them.

Now for the chest: The role of the pectorialis is to bring the arm across the body (as in bringing arms together like giving a hug, and then some). The pressing movements only cover a certain range for that motion, thus, muscular development will ensue along the deltoids and surrounding area (outer chest). Hahahaha, now that is non science

To work the inner chest would mean to do the actual range of motion for the chest. Which is like a hugging motion, or a cable crossover type of motion NOT a press.
    Wow, that is the worst first post I have read in months.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeForemanRules View Post
    Wow, that is the worst first post I have read in months.
    watch out he might be certified online.
    your only as strong as your mind, so consider yourself weak.
    Yep...cats before cunts like my grandma always used to say. - BBOY

Quote Originally Posted by dan1234 View Post
    no such thing dude, only upper and lower chest because they are actual muscles. you can stimulate them each by selecting special exercises like incline and decline presses.

but what you cant do is target part of a muscle fiber like inner and outer chest. or like bicep peak.
    besides decline press what works best for lower chest to build that lip

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    Stop reading Muscle and Fitness
    Well said. Fuckin' hate that magazine, it's worse than Men's Health. I'm not a Flex fan either. MD is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper52 View Post
    besides decline press what works best for lower chest to build that lip
    Flat bb or flat db presses will build up your lower pecs. Dips work well if you go deep. Hell, you can even do Wide iso-lateral Hammer Strength machine presses.

Quote Originally Posted by JOSEF RAKICH View Post
    Actually. . . YOU CAN!

We can shape our muscles to a certian degree depending on our genetic limits. And there is scientific evidence to support this.

IMO it is possible to train the "inner" chest and the "upper/lower" abdominals.

Now yes i know there is no inner/outer chest and that there is only a upper/lower chest, BUT you can train the inner part of your chest by preforming certin exercises which rip more muscle firbes towards the centre of your chest.

Here is some scientific proof. (with refrences)

Now you probally think that muscle fibres span the entire length of a muscle, as one single muscle fibre? Well your incorrect.

Muscle fibres DO NOT span the entire length of a muscle, as one single muscle fibre.
    Muscle fibers are actually segmented and joined with other muscle fibers/segments to form a long ensemble that will eventually link both attachments together.
    Each strip/segment of a muscle fiber is selectively linked to its own set of motor axons. This means that not only are muscle fibers really divided into shorter segments aligned in series, BUT THAT EACH SEGMENT HAS ITS OWN SOURCE OF ACTIVATION.

Therefore it is possible to train the "inner" chest. By perfoming certin exercise which cause greater stress towards the inner chest, Now you cannot fully isolate the inner chest but depending on the exercise you can "emphasize" the inner chest.

Just like many people believe that the rectus abdominus is one muscle (which is correct) and that it is activated equally when you contract it (which is incorrect!)

A study done at the University of Valencia in Spain compared the average EMG activity of the upper and lower abs during a curl-up and posterior pelvic tilt exercise. They found that it is true that the stomach crunch or curl does elicit greater rectus abdominus activity in the upper abs while doing posterior pelvic tilt exercises hits the lower abs better as long as they?re performed correctly!

REFRENCES:

Regional Muscle Hypertrophy

Notions of muscle hypertrophy

Jose Antonio, Ph.D., CSCS, FACSM

http://www.joseantoniophd.com/websit...cles.php?id=17

So basically for the upper abs, curl-ups or crunches are best and for the lower abs, posterior pelvic tilt exercises will place more stress on the lower region of the abs. Even though all abs are contracting, the stress is not applyed evenly.

But anyway fuck that science bullshit even though it proves that it is possible to train the inner chest upper/lower abs. I still go by this quote:

"You want science and studies? Fuck you. I got blood, scars and vomit"

And i deffently think that this quote deffently applys to the following information i am about to post.

Take a look at Charles Glass for example, one of the top pro trainers in the world trains at golds gym, has trained many IFBB pro bodybuilders, famous actors, basket ball teams, this guy trains anyone and everyone. He has also competed in Mr. Olympia. Charles Glass is top dog in weight training knows everything. And just watch some of his videos he mentions "inner chest"

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glasscut3.htm

Also Ronnie Coleman. Listen to what he says about training biceps and preforming EZ bar 21's he says that the top part of the exercise hits the upper bicep and the lower part of the exercise hits the lower bicep. But there is no upper/lower bicep right? Only a inner and outer bicep (long-head and short-head) which is correct! but preforming this exercise with a certin ROM it ripps more muscle firbes towards the upper or lower bicep depending on what stage of the exercise you are preforming.

Now like i said before its not isolating the area of a muscle but simply emphasizing the area.

Here is a video of Ronnie Coleman talking about upper and lower bicep. (1:20+)

Now you cant tell me Charles Glass and Ronnie Coleman dont know what there talking about? Also take any other IFBB pro like Phill Heath.

In the Muscle and Fitness magazine [september 29, 2008 - Page 200] There is an interview with Phill the man himself. He clearly stats that he used the ISO press machine and cable cross-overs to fill out his inner chest. He mentions that the key is to squeeze through the entire movement and you can feel it in the middle chest.

Belive what you want though, not attacking you guys just adding in my 2 cents in what i belive. And i will continue to belive that you can train the inner chest and upper/lower abs unless proved otherwise.
    correct.

Quote Originally Posted by JOSEF RAKICH View Post
    Actually. . . YOU CAN!

We can shape our muscles to a certian degree depending on our genetic limits. And there is scientific evidence to support this.

IMO it is possible to train the "inner" chest and the "upper/lower" abdominals.

Now yes i know there is no inner/outer chest and that there is only a upper/lower chest, BUT you can train the inner part of your chest by preforming certin exercises which rip more muscle firbes towards the centre of your chest.

Here is some scientific proof. (with refrences)

Now you probally think that muscle fibres span the entire length of a muscle, as one single muscle fibre? Well your incorrect.

Muscle fibres DO NOT span the entire length of a muscle, as one single muscle fibre.
    Muscle fibers are actually segmented and joined with other muscle fibers/segments to form a long ensemble that will eventually link both attachments together.
    Each strip/segment of a muscle fiber is selectively linked to its own set of motor axons. This means that not only are muscle fibers really divided into shorter segments aligned in series, BUT THAT EACH SEGMENT HAS ITS OWN SOURCE OF ACTIVATION.

Therefore it is possible to train the "inner" chest. By perfoming certin exercise which cause greater stress towards the inner chest, Now you cannot fully isolate the inner chest but depending on the exercise you can "emphasize" the inner chest.

Just like many people believe that the rectus abdominus is one muscle (which is correct) and that it is activated equally when you contract it (which is incorrect!)

A study done at the University of Valencia in Spain compared the average EMG activity of the upper and lower abs during a curl-up and posterior pelvic tilt exercise. They found that it is true that the stomach crunch or curl does elicit greater rectus abdominus activity in the upper abs while doing posterior pelvic tilt exercises hits the lower abs better as long as they?re performed correctly!

REFRENCES:

Regional Muscle Hypertrophy

Notions of muscle hypertrophy

Jose Antonio, Ph.D., CSCS, FACSM

http://www.joseantoniophd.com/websit...cles.php?id=17

So basically for the upper abs, curl-ups or crunches are best and for the lower abs, posterior pelvic tilt exercises will place more stress on the lower region of the abs. Even though all abs are contracting, the stress is not applyed evenly.

But anyway fuck that science bullshit even though it proves that it is possible to train the inner chest upper/lower abs. I still go by this quote:

"You want science and studies? Fuck you. I got blood, scars and vomit"

And i deffently think that this quote deffently applys to the following information i am about to post.

Take a look at Charles Glass for example, one of the top pro trainers in the world trains at golds gym, has trained many IFBB pro bodybuilders, famous actors, basket ball teams, this guy trains anyone and everyone. He has also competed in Mr. Olympia. Charles Glass is top dog in weight training knows everything. And just watch some of his videos he mentions "inner chest"

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glasscut3.htm

Also Ronnie Coleman. Listen to what he says about training biceps and preforming EZ bar 21's he says that the top part of the exercise hits the upper bicep and the lower part of the exercise hits the lower bicep. But there is no upper/lower bicep right? Only a inner and outer bicep (long-head and short-head) which is correct! but preforming this exercise with a certin ROM it ripps more muscle firbes towards the upper or lower bicep depending on what stage of the exercise you are preforming.

Now like i said before its not isolating the area of a muscle but simply emphasizing the area.

Here is a video of Ronnie Coleman talking about upper and lower bicep. (1:20+)

Now you cant tell me Charles Glass and Ronnie Coleman dont know what there talking about? Also take any other IFBB pro like Phill Heath.

In the Muscle and Fitness magazine [september 29, 2008 - Page 200] There is an interview with Phill the man himself. He clearly stats that he used the ISO press machine and cable cross-overs to fill out his inner chest. He mentions that the key is to squeeze through the entire movement and you can feel it in the middle chest.

Belive what you want though, not attacking you guys just adding in my 2 cents in what i belive. And i will continue to belive that you can train the inner chest and upper/lower abs unless proved otherwise.
    x2.

I logged in to put forth my two cents. After quite a lot of bench presses, et all, I developed a good outer chest but did not have any kind of muscles on my inner chest. Recently i have started excercises which target (or are supposed to target) my inner chest. the result is that, though my outer chest has remained the same size, I now have a great shaped chest with a good line across the middle.

All i would say is that thank god i did not read facts such as in this thread before i started my excercises or I would know that its impossible anbd wouldnt have achieved the results i did. Body building is 90% in the mind anyways.

I also had another remark to make. I have seen celebrities, models and actors trying to beef up. Each and everyone of them(even the ones who were skinny or fat to begin with) have a great shaped chest after their workout. Look at the shape of Will smith's chest before and now. Now i cant believe that each of these celebrities, apart from being blessed with good looks, fame and acting skills would ALL be somehow blessed with perfect genetics for a perfect shaped chest. That will be too big of a co-incidence.

So, i do beleive chest can be shaped to a large extent by everyone

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast