Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When is it time to take a break and detrain?

Default week off

they say it's good to take a week off of lifting every 3 or 4 months, to let ur muscles rest etc. what do u guys think....yes or no?

Of course it is, when ever I have taken a week or two off I have always gotten goodresults and had a big growing spurt when I have come back , saying that I don't like to have any time off as I live for the gym, I hate it even on my two days off a week

A review of over 50 studies and over 30 years of research was compiled for the Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise journal, published by the American College of Sports Medicine. The purpose was to collect the data reported in exercise literature concerning the muscular characteristics of detraining, in both highly trained athletes and moderately or recently trained individuals.

According to data reported in exercise science articles, athletes can maintain, or suffer limited loss, in limit strength during short periods of no training. Strength performance in general is readily retained for up to four weeks of inactivity, but highly trained athletesí eccentric force and sport-specific power may suffer significant declines after two weeks. During eight weeks of training discontinuation, there are decreased proportions of slow-twitch fibers with increased oxidative fibers in strength-trained athletes.

In a study of 12 weight lifters, a 14-day training cessation did not significantly change their one-repetition maximum bench press (-1.7 percent) and squat (-0.9 percent) performance. The authors of the study concluded that briefly inactive strength athletes could maintain many aspects of neuromuscular performance with only slight decreases in eccentric strength.

In another study, 12 weight lifters experienced a 6.4 percent decrease in fast-twitch muscle fiber cross-sectional area in 14 days. Interestingly, increases were observed in plasma concentrations of growth hormone (58.3 percent), testosterone (19.2 percent) and the testosterone-to-cortisol ratio (67.6 percent); cortisol levels decreased by 21.5 percent. The hormone changes would benefit any athlete trying to reverse the negative effects of overtraining syndrome.

Longer periods of training cessation are accompanied by more pronounced declines in limit strength for strength-trained athletes. The loss is limited to around seven to 12 percent for inactive periods lasting eight to 12 weeks. Results show that both muscle atrophy and diminished neural activation are responsible for the decline in maximal force during 12 weeks of inactivity.

Very nice warrior.

thanks warrior, much appreciated

Spotter

good post warrior. i feel that the week or two off can be taken even more frequently than 3-4 months but it all depends on how hard/heavy you are lifting

I NEED TO TAKE A WEEK OFF, THIS WAY I KNIW THAT MY MUSCLES ARE GROWIN' RIHGT AND ON TIME AS THEY SHOULD BE

Warrior, always a pleasure to read your posts. Very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by dropshot001 View Post
    good post warrior. i feel that the week or two off can be taken even more frequently than 3-4 months but it all depends on how hard/heavy you are lifting
    I agree i think it's more about how you feel. Sometimes i train hard for 4 weeks and feel a week off would really benifit me yet sometimes i train for a long time and don't feel the need for a break

Every two months I take a full week off from the weights, and eat and sleep a lot the whole week to recharge the batteries.

"No Strength/Energy - My lifts went down dramatically
    Mood Swings - I started to get pissed off by EVERYTHING.
    Depression - I would get sad about stupid shit and cry for no good reason.
    Lethargy - I would sleep for 8-10 hours a day and, even after being well rested I would still feel exhausted". These are all sighnes of "Low testosterone" & High Estrogen" I believe. Not enough rest and not enough nutrition can cause this also.
    I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me.

I find if I take off about 4-5 days every 10-12 weeks I go alot faster. Most people would consider my training to be to much and at risk for overtraining. I say fuck em. I keep getting stronger while there still trying to press 275lbs. As long as my training journal says I'm getting stronger I keep at it. And you pussy's try eating more it does wonders.
    IF THE BAR ISNT BENDING ITS NOT HEAVY ENOUGH GO WORKOUT WITH THE YOGA CROWD CHICKEN SHIT

I do not see that I "overtrain" when I have problems it is more due to the fact that my rest is not quality rest and my meals are off. I train pretty hard ( at least the guys in my gym think so) and I think I put a lot into it. But usually I just need better rest and better food and better times to eat good food. I have had some sore tendons before and just went a little lighter and less intense to get through it and then all was good.

Just my experiences
    Riff

Doing it one pound at a time!!!!

Overtraining is nothing but a FUCKING excuse for the weak undriven

The body adapts, grows when fed right, and rested.

I used to bike 7 miles each way to the gym, move furniture all day (mostly unloading trucks myself) and train high volume, high intensity for hours daily. Never slowed me down. Strength is very mental. Being able to turn on that fucking adrenaline like a switch. Not backing down.

Body can adapt to extreme stress. The problem with most lifters is that they severely undertrain. If you have to ask yourself, then you are undertraining. Your training should leave no doubts that the SHIT was killed , overkilled, fucking destroyed when you leave the gym

TRAIN OR FUCKIN DIE

Behemoth

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Beast View Post
    Overtraining is nothing but a FUCKING excuse for the weak undriven

The body adapts, grows when fed right, and rested.

I used to bike 7 miles each way to the gym, move furniture all day (mostly unloading trucks myself) and train high volume, high intensity for hours daily. Never slowed me down. Strength is very mental. Being able to turn on that fucking adrenaline like a switch. Not backing down.

Body can adapt to extreme stress. The problem with most lifters is that they severely undertrain. If you have to ask yourself, then you are undertraining. Your training should leave no doubts that the SHIT was killed , overkilled, fucking destroyed when you leave the gym

TRAIN OR FUCKIN DIE
    I agree . I was stronger then I am now when I was 18 (Im 21) . I trained heavy every time and I kept getting stronger. I ate nothing but crappy food and I drank all the time . Now I deload ,eat properly, and dont drink and Im still not as strong as I was.

Default When is it time to take a break and detrain

I have heard this myself.....personally I find that even adding to to "too" hot of oats makes mine break down and go lumpy.. this is why I am skeptical of the new cooking wheys that they have out..

i have been lifting consistently for the past 4 months on a 5 on/2 off split. and occasionally a 4 on/3 off split. i cant bring myself to take a whole week off. honestly, it just seems like its too long. i start to get the itch to go lift some weights!! light-weight!!!

two days ago i finished my weekly split, and decided to take off 3 days from any lifting to recuperate. i was beginning to get tired during the day and have to take a nap, and i would have trouble getting out of bed. i used to never take naps!!

also, i am starting a new job on Tuesday and want to be fresh as the job will require lifting boxes all day.(upstairs/downstairs.) and finally, my shoulders are starating to feel real strained as of late si i figured i would give them a break.

but i do think that people use "overtraining" as an excuse to not hit the gym. to me its not as bad as some people believe.

an example would be having a physical job for 5 days a week.(real physical labor such as working in a warehouse or sawmill.) you bust your hump for 5 days a week to get that paycheck and just to see the weekend for your two much needed days off. would you ever consider going to your boss and saying,"i cant work for the next week because im "overworking?"(or overtraining) no you wouldn't, bcuz your boss would laugh and make you the subject of conversation behind your back.

my point is this-even when you get a physically demanding job and come home sore and exhausted and go straight to bed to give your body rest, your body adapts quickly to the amount of stress you put it through. and after a couple weeks of doing this job, you no longer come home sore and exhausted with the urge to sleep. instead, your physically stronger and mentally stronger.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast