Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: When is it time to take a break and detrain?

Quote Originally Posted by ricardomrivera View Post
    i have been lifting consistently for the past 4 months on a 5 on/2 off split. and occasionally a 4 on/3 off split. i cant bring myself to take a whole week off. honestly, it just seems like its too long. i start to get the itch to go lift some weights!! light-weight!!!

two days ago i finished my weekly split, and decided to take off 3 days from any lifting to recuperate. i was beginning to get tired during the day and have to take a nap, and i would have trouble getting out of bed. i used to never take naps!!

also, i am starting a new job on Tuesday and want to be fresh as the job will require lifting boxes all day.(upstairs/downstairs.) and finally, my shoulders are starating to feel real strained as of late si i figured i would give them a break.

but i do think that people use "overtraining" as an excuse to not hit the gym. to me its not as bad as some people believe.

an example would be having a physical job for 5 days a week.(real physical labor such as working in a warehouse or sawmill.) you bust your hump for 5 days a week to get that paycheck and just to see the weekend for your two much needed days off. would you ever consider going to your boss and saying,"i cant work for the next week because im "overworking?"(or overtraining) no you wouldn't, bcuz your boss would laugh and make you the subject of conversation behind your back.

my point is this-even when you get a physically demanding job and come home sore and exhausted and go straight to bed to give your body rest, your body adapts quickly to the amount of stress you put it through. and after a couple weeks of doing this job, you no longer come home sore and exhausted with the urge to sleep. instead, your physically stronger and mentally stronger.
    Great post ricardomrivera

Indeed human body has great physical work capacity and it can adapt to a demanding lifestyle,but it still has some limits.Imo someone who is doing a DY type of training has to take some time off,or do a week of "cruising" DoggCrap style so he can have the hypertrophy and strength gains coming.

I would like to know I have been doing morning bike or running as cardio (1h), afternoon 1.5 hour gym session involving some machine type interval cardio, and 2-4 times a week I did kick boxing for the last 3.5 months.

I got some kind of stomach flu so was out of the gym for a few days but I would like to take 2 weeks off to reset my body from cardio so that I could restart it with lower intensity and still reap some benefits of it, and let my body recuperate problem is should I stay idle for 2 weeks or could I start some boxing after a week and come back to gym shorter cardio in week 3 what do you guys think.

I would take a break when I've changed my routine and still can't get past a plateu or when I start dreading going to the gym.

well, after i did my 5 on/2 off split, i decided to take off some extra time to heal from my strains and mental/physical exhaustion. i made it two days. i couldn't handle it anymore, so i hit the gym this morning and trained back.

If I have been 'Underecouperating" ( overtraining is an oxymoron my mind ) I will catch a cold,feel run down, get hurt or a number of other maladies. I find I need to take about a week off every 10 wks or so to let my CNS rest. This can be mentaly unsettling as I feel guilty for not working out or thye fear of losing any gains I fought so hard to get.
    "Of course I can lift it"

Quote Originally Posted by vtjetboy View Post
    If I have been 'Underecouperating" ( overtraining is an oxymoron my mind ) I will catch a cold,feel run down, get hurt or a number of other maladies. I find I need to take about a week off every 10 wks or so to let my CNS rest. This can be mentaly unsettling as I feel guilty for not working out or thye fear of losing any gains I fought so hard to get.
    So tru we are all basically but as I said I got a stomach flu was supposed to give myself 2 weeks off but 1 week i s alll I can manage will have another week come christmas in my oppinion now I will just relax for one more day and hit the gym early morning on saturday.

When you stop growing.........
    "Make Pain a Friend, and you will have a Friend for Life"

Quote Originally Posted by Okinawa_Power View Post
    When you stop growing.........
    But you never stop once you have hit the wall doing mass or strenght it is edurance or shock phase there is always something to do in the quest for a great body and the iron keeps calling

hi , im a 38 years male , i v ben lifting weights and working out for 6 months , and latley , exactly since the last two weeks my arms bone under my triceps hurt me a lot after biceps or triceps exercise, i dont know whats wrong with it , but it hurts a lot ... what should i do ? is it something that i should eat ? or is it something normal , cause i feel good about my body muscles .. , please answer my questions and help me

go see a doctor it is probably an elbow issue something with muscle insertions or tendons.

A good doc with an idea about sport will set you straight and you should be good in no time

alternatively just keep working out through pain and maybe it goes away

Eating no miracle drug here but multivitamin, fish oil (omega 3) and vit D and C should help.

If you already have the above mentioned you could try cissus

1 week every 8 to 12 weeks of training...
    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

Dedicated Noob

It's time to look at your diet and/or take a break. your body is telling you it needs to heal and your muscles need to repair, if they don't it will limit your growth or worse, injur yourself.

Just listen to your body
    Try not to let hurdles hold you down because they will always be there.

Dedicated Noob

yea that

Now a days i take one day off from the week. But every 3 months i would take a week off completely to let my body fully recover and than jump right back it with regular 1 day off.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234