Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: When is it time to take a break and detrain?

Default When is it time to take a break and detrain?

Training is similar to diet in that no two people are going to respond in the exact same manner to one style. You have to find what works best for you, and as a personal trainer, you'll need to find what works best for each one of your clients. The worst personal trainers, in my opinion, are the ones who put each and every client on cookie-cutter workouts, with cookie-cutter diets, and expect the same results from everyone.

I've been told I overtrain on occasion as well, but the bottom line is, as long as you're seeing results, and you feel it's working for you...keep doing what you're doing.

I think there has been a bit of an overtraining paranoia epidemic in part because people want to use that as an excuse to train less. I'm not saying overtraining doesn't exist, but I think the human body is very capable of taking a lot in regard to training and adapting.

I don't think anyone ever gets to a point where they need to not listen to other people or seek advice from other people, but at the same time, you can't take every piece of advice from every person. You'll never accomplish anything. Find what works for you, and keep working hard!!!

Personally, I'd rather overtrain than undertrain any day of the week!!!
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrotank View Post
    Personally, I'd rather overtrain than undertrain any day of the week!!!
    truer words have never been spoken

AWESOME........all the morons on AR my god there'll be hundreds of them telling me i over train when i put up like a workout log or anything

I thought i had over training symptons after about 3 and a half months of 5-6 day a week hardcore workouts, 16 sets of 8. Just feel sick and very tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallbag View Post
    I thought i had over training symptons after about 3 and a half months of 5-6 day a week hardcore workouts, 16 sets of 8. Just feel sick and very tired.
    different strokes for different folks
    if people just read the facts, then monitored themselves, they've be so much better off than listening to 10 tons of free advice

I have been told i overtrain also, but i keep getting stronger and feel better. I would say it depends on the person, if i feel good then i highly doubt im overtraining.

GeorgeForemanRules

# of sets means nothing, what matters is frequency intensity and how hard you do each set. Also being on steroids makes your ability to recover much higher.

i agree that how much you eat can really dictate if u overtrain or not.. i back in highschool was overtrained took me about 6 months to recover. ( long story).

generally i only do about 10 sets for each body part because really im dead tired after that many and also i get the same gains or better when i stop around that generall area of sets.. ill do 12 sets max per body part which is not very often. except legs i do bout 11 sets there normally for upper legs

Quote Originally Posted by RuhlFreak55 View Post
    I'll be personal training people soon so i wanna understand this concept better...
    OverTraining is VERY REAL!!!
    I know because, it happened to me and....it is not a very nice experience.

My symptoms were:

No Strength/Energy - My lifts went down dramatically
    Mood Swings - I started to get pissed off by EVERYTHING.
    Depression - I would get sad about stupid shit and cry for no good reason.
    Lethargy - I would sleep for 8-10 hours a day and, even after being well rested I would still feel exhausted.

At first, I had no idea what was wrong with me until I did some research on my symptoms. I took a little over two weeks off "entirely" - NO Cardio and NO Lifting. It took about a month before I felt myself again.

Looking back on it, I believe that my Diet did not support my training intensity.

In the words of Brad Castleberry... "you gotta go big to get big!"

(Yes I just quoted Brad Dingleberry)

Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by TIKI View Post
    OverTraining is VERY REAL!!!
    I know because, it happened to me and....it is not a very nice experience.

My symptoms were:

No Strength/Energy - My lifts went down dramatically
    Mood Swings - I started to get pissed off by EVERYTHING.
    Depression - I would get sad about stupid shit and cry for no good reason.
    Lethargy - I would sleep for 8-10 hours a day and, even after being well rested I would still feel exhausted.

At first, I had no idea what was wrong with me until I did some research on my symptoms. I took a little over two weeks off "entirely" - NO Cardio and NO Lifting. It took about a month before I felt myself again.

Looking back on it, I believe that my Diet did not support my training intensity.
    i have those same symptoms. except the crying thing. I try to take days off but when i do i feel really guilty. i think i may have a little OCD about working out. i know i need to take time off but it's hard mentally. my muscles recover fine but it's everything else like shoulders, knees elbows tendons, ligaments ect. that need the rest. so I'm really going to try to take some time off. i always say that but never can do it. hopefully this time i will do it.

Sure...overtrain...if you are juicing you can probably get away with it...growth takes place outside of the gym (you hear it all the time)...your muscles need time to repair...reignite a muscle that hasn't had a chance yet...and you limit the potential growth...a sad but proven fact...that and you are also risking all sorts of sickness due to an over-extended immune system...not to mention injury and joint-inflammation

"Overtraining is for the weak of mind"

Overtraining = Under recovery.

Its usually pretty obvious when you are truly overtraining. You get the symptoms of complete exhaustion, moodiness, poor quality of sleep, etc. Its pretty obvious - its more like everything starts to not work right, nothign you do makes it better and you can't figure out why.

When other people look at your workouts, they perceive different volumes relative to their own context. I think what matters, if you are tied into your trainng and looking for real and honest results (vs the person who says ".. but I do circuits every night and I don't see any changes.. waah.."), then you can judge if your volume is correct. Volume sort of equals reps + weight + intensity + recovery time. You can vary all of those to get the same "volume" so its not easy for someone outside looking in to judge your work.

But as far as overtraining -your body will definitely tell you when its too much.

Quote Originally Posted by RuhlFreak55 View Post
    I just cannot understand this concept.....I mean I don't overtrain....i have zero of the signs...and yet, i train 6 days a week and do 30+ sets for most bodyparts. I'm tired of being told i overtrain because i do continually get bigger and stronger, But why can i handle a workload that is pretty much double what alot of people reccomend as a maximum?

This is because todays bodybuilders are so misinformed to training protocols but very in informed on anabolic use, so hard work is a thing of the past.
    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

I think overtraining comes from your environment and has a lot more to do with just the training itself. As many have stated, resting and eating has a lot to do with it. However, environmental stressors also have their part. Starting a new job? Have an unstable living atmosphere? These also play a part. I supose you could group them into the "resting" category.

If you aren't able to relax at some point in time, overtraining is going to bite. I have experience overtraining, or CNS overload. Starting a new job, moving around a lot and not having a stable living environment.

I think these all play a part in overtraining.

I used to overtrain when I was younger. I trained 6-7 days a week, did EXTREMELY too much cardio, and my diet was very POOR. I was someone who thought that if you worked out the same amount of calories that you took in or MORE, than you would lose weight. I was always physically exhausted and was sickly looking and my immune system was for shit. I became a stick and lost ALL my muscle mass.

Now, after 3 years of getting my act together, I've finally bounced back.

You have to realize, you must refuel your body. That means with sufficient amount of rest (sleep and out of gym time) and sufficient amount of the proper foods. As long as your doing this, your body will operate the way it should and grow. Everyone is different- so I can't say that you have to get X amount of this or that, but use your head. If you feel tired or your losing size, your doing something wrong.

Make sure that you explain to your clients that diet is just as much of a game player- if not MORE- than training. Because of my ignorance, I threw my metabolism out of wack, which set me back further for my goals I was striving for!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast