Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are Decline Presses Better Than Incline Presses?

Quote Originally Posted by roid_xxx View Post
    How do you figure you have an increase ROM from incline, flat and decline. The static measurement of your length of your arm does not increase or decrease in any of thos positions, in other words your arm isn't longer in any of the positions.
    Your arm length is not the limiting factor. The position of your chest is the limiting factor. Please think before you speak. Thank you.

Well, I think that the main problem with declines doesn't lies with the way most decline benches are made.....they are TOO declined. Dorian Yates said he had a very shallow decline bench in his gym, and credited it with a lot of his early development.

I find traditional declines was too steep as well. Blood rushes to my head and it feel very awkward. I prefer to use a flat bench under the smith machine, with a couple 45s under the end. It feel great on the chest for sure. It is the natural motion of the chest and the truest contraction at the top if you use dumbells.

The second problem is that everyone seems to use declines as an excuse to "go heavy". I get the best feel when I bring the bar to my upper/mid chest, and make sure my shoulders travel up across my body at the top. Too many guys keep their shoulders tucked back the whole time and shorten the range. Ego shite. I often use 2 plates a side later in the workout and that's plenty if the ROM is full and the chest is doing all the work.

I also love the hammer decline. But you can't let ego get in the way there either. I can fill it up if I tuck my shoulders back and don't bring them across the front plane of my body when I press out.

Dips hurt my wrists a lot and my triceps do too much.
    http://www.bigronpartlow.com
    http://www.canadianbodybuildingradio.com

corland45

The question should be: are decline better then Flat Bench presses?

Yes they are

Flat and low incline for me.

i only do declines its the best
    BIGGER is BETTER

Quote Originally Posted by Rep300 View Post
    Dips hurt my wrists a lot and my triceps do too much.
    Your body angle has a lot to do with what it hits. The more you lean over the more it will hit your chest more.

I have to agree with CorLand45. Declines are better than FlatBench. It stimulates more muscle fibers in that area. Now with that said, I rarely do declines. I do weighted dips for lower chest. I revert to the Vince Gironda training methods from that era. It would be hard to compare Inclines to Declines since they work two entirely different areas of the chest. That would be like asking which is better for your back, Deadlifts or Pulldowns. Yes it's your back but entirely two different areas!!!

lots of good info here....from my personal experience, incline presses have greatly helped in developing my chest...primarily upper chest. I may do declines once a month but i mainly focus on incline and flat. I either use the smith machine or dbs because i have shoulder problems. I have found that bringing the shoulder blades together, pressing them into the bench, and slightly arching the back drastically reduces stress on the shoulders for all the chest press variations for me. I really have to make sure i connect my mind to my chest to fatigue the muscles w/o stressing my shoulders...and it works.

I mainly start with an incline shoulder press w/ 3 sets of 10-15 and slowly work my way down to flat with the smith machine or dbs. By the time i hit flat...my chest is spent. Then I go from flat to incline on db fly to really bring out the middle and it burns really nicely. I finish with high cable fly.....posture completely upright....shoulders back, chest up and bring the cables directly in front of my upper chest...trick i learned from a fellow bber. Followed by low cable fly....one arm at a time to really get that last bit of life that is left in there! Since I started doing this workout...I have increased the mass in my chest more than anything else i have done in the last few years. I switch things every couple of weeks or so to keep my muscles guessing. Let me know what u think.

See that nice house down the street? Not there..

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
    In the last several days I have read multiple articles on training chest referencing a study by Glass, et. al. which stated that clavicular/sternal, lower/middle portions of the pectoralis major is activated the same when performing decline bench presses as they are when performing incline bench presses. Furthermore, this study is said to state that a larger portion of the overall chest muscle is stimulated during declines.

These articles also cite a study by Barnett, et al. which found the upper region of the chest was no more stimulated in incline presses than in flat bench presses. The argument that declines are healthier for your shoulders than inclines because inclines place your shoulder in a compromised position.

These articles use these studies to suggest that flat bench presses and declines should be the primary exercises in a chest program.

Thoughts, experiences, or anyone actually know what these studies are (contrary to MD these rags don't print their references - they are available upon request)?
    Yes incline bench press only actives the upper chest 5% more than flat bench.

The best movement for upper chest is the revers grip flat bench. I use the smith to do these as I don't want to die in the gym. They're a bit harsh on the wirsts as well so I do them close to last in my chest WO so I don't have to use quite as much weight.
    www.IronMagLabs.com

15% off on all IronMagLabs products at the IronMagLabs store= H4TW15

Quote Originally Posted by Hate4TheWeak View Post
    Yes incline bench press only actives the upper chest 5% more than flat bench.

The best movement for upper chest is the revers grip flat bench. I use the smith to do these as I don't want to die in the gym. They're a bit harsh on the wirsts as well so I do them close to last in my chest WO so I don't have to use quite as much weight.
    Try these on a decline, feels like you get just as much upper chest activation with minimal assistance from the triceps.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardly Krishna View Post
    Try these on a decline, feels like you get just as much upper chest activation with minimal assistance from the triceps.
    I have, they're kinda weird but they def do something. I like to do close grip bench on the decline for tris. You ever tried that? It feels like more of a push down movement that a press, it's pretty cool.
    www.IronMagLabs.com

there is no such thing as upper chest....lower chest....inner or outer chest......
    "NOTHING IS TRIVIAL"

Quote Originally Posted by TheKillerOfSaints View Post
    there is no such thing as upper chest....lower chest....inner or outer chest......
    Actually there is, sorta. Your chest is a fan shaped muscle so there really are no "heads" persay but you can isolate differant parts of it like upper, inner, lower, and outer.
    www.IronMagLabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dick View Post
    i only do declines its the best
    That's about as gay as your avy.
    www.IronMagLabs.com

either there is or there isnt.....no anatomy chart shows those "heads".....there is only pec major and minor....
    "NOTHING IS TRIVIAL"

There is infact an upper and lower chest, but not inner and outter, quit talking out of your fucking ass KOS. You're trying to speak in absolutes like you're some sort of a guru lately, when in reality your training experience is minimal and its making you look like a dunce.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chestbig.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	219266there are absolutes when speaking about physiology....if not you couldnt have doctors and such....any way....i dont care about arguing with noobs who read and beleive flex magazine....i am more exp than you would think....ive been lifting off and on since 10...and studying bboing that entire time...16 years is a good long time
    "NOTHING IS TRIVIAL"

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast