Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Is aerobic exercise necessary in weight control?

Thumbs up Is aerobic exercise necessary in weight control?

No matter what level of expertise you claim to be, chances are you’ve encountered or run across the myths of aerobic exercise and weight control. Maybe you fell prey to a few of them and maybe you just silently chuckled as the poor sap next you just did 60 minutes of cardio bike work as a warm-up.

Does increased endurance training, expending energy via aerobic metabolism, help the more endormorphic somatotypes? Trainees who have a more difficult time mobilizing stored fat might benefit from an increased amount of time under the cooker - by quickly liberating fats and burning up them up. Also, endurance training does wonders for people with poor blood lipid profiles.

Even ectomorphs can benefit from an increased VO2 max - a greater endurance threshold would transfer well to resistance training for muscle hypertropy. Running the rack, 20-rep squats, and non-stop giant sets take a lot of stamina - even standard supersets can leave some feeling winded when they involve large muscle groups. While these exercises in themselves can help build muscular endurance, the added attention to training the aerobic pathways could improve the results.

My best weight loss period was when I did my weight training followed by 30-60 minutes of cardio, depending on how long I had before I had to shower and walk to work. I was a young E4 in the Navy and had just gotten married so I couldn't afford a car. Looking back on it, that was probably a good thing.
    Dustin
    "The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."
    John Ruskin

Warrior, I love reading your posts. It's good to see educated responses to tough questions. I would like to add a few points...

First lets break down the word cardio-vascular, heart-lungs right? This form of exercise is designed for improvement of your heart and your lungs. I don't think it is "necessary" for "weight control" as high intensity weight training sessions will burn more calories minute for minute. Also our body has to create energy to repair muscle tissue we have broken down by weight training so essentially we are burning calories from our weight training sessions for as long as it takes to repair our broken down muscle fiber. We definately can keep our weight under control with weight training and diet alone if done right. Also by increasing our lean muscle mass we will be increasing our metabolism on an average of I believe 35-70 calories per day for every pound of muscle that we put on.

Cardio vascular training will "burn fat" even though it isn't designed to do so, if it is done correctly. The first and most popular way of using cardio to burn fat would be to use the correct heart rate zone, I have seen different studies that support the 60-85% range. The point I would like to bring up is how effective it can be after a weight training session. The next energy source in line after our body has used it's stored glycogen would be fat. Low intensity cardio sessions immediately after your work outs will benefit you by your body naturally wanting to use fat as energy during cardio sessions. I would keep these sessions to a 30 minute max and our protein is the next form of calorie to be used and we are already catabolic from our workout. Keep in mind our body will use our glycogen up if we do high intensity or mid level intensity cardio before our workouts so if you want to "warm up" or get the blood flowing by cardio before your work outs, do no more than 10 minutes.

Spotter

great info guys! i tend to do 30-40 mins of cardio after my workout....what would low intensity cardio be? 60-75 percent of heart rate?

Actually it used to be called aerobics before that term was coopted by women hopping around in dance class. You burn more fat utilizing the aerobic metabolic pathways. "Cardio" is a bit of a misnomer, really refers to a type of aerobic exercise conducted within a certain training zone - higher intensity than simple fat burning, with the intention, as mentioned of training the heart and lungs more.

no. there any other ways
    After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands.

no. there are other ways
    couldn't edit the previous post
    After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands.

Informant

I like to think of cardio as the secret weapon. I do my best to control weight through diet. If that fails then I go to the cardio. Of course I get lots of walking in at work.

Informant

You need to follow a system that covers your meal plan and workouts as well. Set your precise goal. Measure it and begin moving towards it. Skip neither cardio or weight lifting, just find out your right balance. Right means that fit personally to you and your goal. Cardio is essential for me. I do it regularly and sometimes I replace warm-ups bt cardio. One thing to consider is what type of cardio makes the most outcome for you.

Behemoth

Quote Originally Posted by intenceman View Post
    Actually it used to be called aerobics before that term was coopted by women hopping around in dance class. You burn more fat utilizing the aerobic metabolic pathways. "Cardio" is a bit of a misnomer, really refers to a type of aerobic exercise conducted within a certain training zone - higher intensity than simple fat burning, with the intention, as mentioned of training the heart and lungs more.
    So, LISS along with high intensity weight training?