Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Testosterone for the aging male; current evidence and recommended practice

Default Testosterone for the aging male; current evidence and recommended practice

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...rtype=abstract

Clin Interv Aging. 2008 March; 3(1): 25–44.
    Published online 2008 March.

PMCID: PMC2544367
    Copyright © 2008 Dove Medical Press Limited. All rights reserved

Testosterone for the aging male; current evidence and recommended practice

Roger D Stanworth and T Hugh Jones
    Centre of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Barnsley Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Barnsley, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Academic Unit of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Abstract

An international consensus document was recently published and provides guidance on the diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of late-onset hypogonadism (LOH) in men. The diagnosis of LOH requires biochemical and clinical components.

Controversy in defining the clinical syndrome continues due to the high prevalence of hypogonadal symptoms in the aging male population and the non-specific nature of these symptoms. Further controversy surrounds setting a lower limit of normal testosterone, the limitations of the commonly available total testosterone result in assessing some patients and the unavailability of reliable measures of bioavailable or free testosterone for general clinical use.

As with any clinical intervention testosterone treatment should be judged on a balance of risk versus benefit. The traditional benefits of testosterone on sexual function, mood, strength and quality of life remain the primary goals of treatment but possible beneficial effects on other parameters such as bone density, obesity, insulin resistance and angina are emerging and will be reviewed.

Potential concerns regarding the effects of testosterone on prostate disease, aggression and polycythaemia will also be addressed. The options available for treatment have increased in recent years with the availability of a number of testosterone preparations which can reliably produce physiological serum concentrations.

Full text at:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=2544367

Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER DAVE View Post
    Thanks for that.
    You're welcome.
    Last edited by Daibhí O'Buadain; June 6th, 2009 at 04:39 PM.

Been trying to convince my dad to get a test script from his doc. for awhile.

Gonna have him take a look at this. Thanks bro.

Appreciate the reference. The article is focused mainly on hypogonadism in aging males and current modes of treatment. But hypogonadism can strike at almost any age in adulthood. 20 years ago I was diagnosed with it. I was 39. I received test injections for several months, but found the ups and downs intolerable. Then tried wearing a patch for several months, and that didn't sit well with me either. After about a year, I gave up on these treatments. But for whatever reasons, the problem seemed to correct itself....About 6 months after I stopped treatment, I was fine. The whole experience is still a mystery to me.

Dedicated Noob

Am 51 as of August 12. MD says that my test levels are 600 out of a possible 800. Should I insist on prescription?? Thanks ahead of time!

Quote Originally Posted by aiki ins View Post
    Am 51 as of August 12. MD says that my test levels are 600 out of a possible 800. Should I insist on prescription?? Thanks ahead of time!
    This is an acceptable level for your age however some labs set the reference range as high as 1,000ng/dl so you may have had a decline in T levels over the years.
    All posts are for entertainment and may contain fiction. Consult a doctor before using any medication.

Dedicated Noob

Red face

Thats pretty much what I was told. Is there a downside if I insist on rx? I train 5 days a week would like to be the best I can be? Suggestions?? What would you all do? Sorry, kind of a newbie to this stuff.