Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mercury content of Costco Tilapia

Default Mercury content of Costco Tilapia

I just wanted everyone to be aware of where their fish is being imported from. I have a client who recently became aware of the fact that the level of mercury in her body was dangerously high. Upon investigation, she learned that Costco imports tilapia from S.E. Asia. Apparently the mercury content in the fish from that region have extremely high levels of mercury. Her previous trainer had her eating this tilapia 5 times per day, 7 days per week, for the entire 16 week duration of her contest prep. As many of you may know, elevated mercury levels in the human body can cause many health problems.
    Because mercury blocks the degradation pathway of catecholamines, epinephrine excess causes hyperhidrosis (profuse sweating), tachycardia (persistently faster-than-normal heart beat), mercurial ptyalism (hypersalivation) and hypertension (high blood pressure). Mercury is thought to inactivate S-adenosyl-methionine, which is necessary for catecholamine catabolism by catechol-o-methyl transferase. [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_poisoning[/ame]

If your diet contains fish, do a little research to find out where it is imported from. Certain types of fish have higher levels of mercury than others. The following is a link to the FDA website that contains a list of different fish and their corresponding mercury concentrations. http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/P.../ucm115644.htm
    Last edited by Todd Jewell; June 12th, 2009 at 01:48 PM.

Fuck, I've bought tons of tilapia from Walmart. I wonder if theirs has the same problems.
    "Take your fancy clothes and your black silk underwear and go back to Disneyland."

food4less?

I get mine at Costco - the wife works there!

Forum Leader: TV Community Channel mike pulcinella's Avatar

I get mine there too! Dammit!!

Are we sure this is true and not just a rumor?
    Check out my redesigned video samples page!
    http://mikepulcinella.com/portfolio.htm

I've been saying this forever! I just don't trust the fish that comes from China, Vietnam, Thailand etc. I just don't they have the same regulations over there and I'd be willing to bet they pollute their waters more. Besides, think it about it: Why would grocery stores and other retaliers import fish from Asia when the same fish can be cought around here? It has to be that much cheaper for them to be able to catch it over there, ship it here, and still sell it cheaper. I think it's garbage. Even the texture of the fish is different.

I know it isn't cheap but I think that if you're going to consume fish, especially in large quantities, you should try to get it from a fish market where the owner(s) or employees are able to tell you where the fish comes from and there's no reason it can't be stuff that's reasonably "local".

The guy I've been going to gets all his stuff from close by. For example, the flounder comes in off of day boats. That means it was cought either that day or the day before. Trust me when I tell you there's a big difference between that and some shit cought in vietnam and stuck in a freezer for months.

Of course, me feeling like the more local fish is safer to eat is based purely on speculation and not on a scientific study. But when you hear about toys and toothpaste coming from China being contaminated with lead and bullshit like that, I'd rather take my chances with the fresh, local stuff. A lot of the time you do get what you pay for.

Beach Body

This is not a rumor. My husband's client researched this very diligently after her doctor tested her mercury levels and found them so dangerously high. Due to her health issues, she had to find out for sure what was causing her mercury levels to be so high so that she could start treatment to flush the mercury out of her body. Absolutely the truth, trust me. Agree with your post as well, Evan.

Forum Leader: Computers/Video Games Nick D's Avatar

That's not good SMJ and its not cool having mercury in fish.
    Ah shucks BK is fine wit me. I'm low maintenance" Beni Mama

what about tuna fish?

"Jesus Christ, how much Dateline NBC can you watch?"

How often would one have to consume said Tilapia to have dangerous Mercury levels?

Forum Leader: Computers/Video Games Nick D's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sexybeast777 View Post
    what about tuna fish?
    Just don't eat fish everyday. I heard tuna has some mercury too.
    Ah shucks BK is fine wit me. I'm low maintenance" Beni Mama

Quote Originally Posted by Sexybeast777 View Post
    what about tuna fish?
    Tuna is supposed to be one of the worst when it comes to mercury, basically I heard you need to stay away from large oceanic predatory fish, Tuna being one of them.

Forum Leader: Member Training Journals, Training The Joker's Avatar

I get my tilapia from Costco also. I eat one of them a day.

I take it there's a lot of variability. That FDA site the OP linked to lists the mercury content of Tilapia as one of the lower ones. Tuna was much higher. Obviously the source / location where the fish are from makes a big difference.

But I for one am getting really tired of all of the poisonous foods and other products coming in from Asia. WTF do we have the FDA for anyway? Nobody is watching the quality of foods being imported - or at least not nearly close enough! Quit the BS crap like banning ephedra and harassing supplement companies for 6-oxo and stuff and start doing your JOB!

Right now I'm eating 3-4 pounds of tilapia for my diet & i was just telling someone I hope there isn't anything wrong with this stuff. I think I'm going to turn into a super hero or something now from this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyR View Post
    I take it there's a lot of variability. That FDA site the OP linked to lists the mercury content of Tilapia as one of the lower ones. Tuna was much higher. Obviously the source / location where the fish are from makes a big difference.

But I for one am getting really tired of all of the poisonous foods and other products coming in from Asia. WTF do we have the FDA for anyway? Nobody is watching the quality of foods being imported - or at least not nearly close enough! Quit the BS crap like banning ephedra and harassing supplement companies for 6-oxo and stuff and start doing your JOB!
    I agree with your post 100%. What is the FDA doing? It definately makes a difference where the fish comes from. I hate fish so I never eat it. My client's doctor was recommending that she eat tilapia no more than once per month and that she get it from a domestic source. From everything I have read, tuna is one of the worst for mercury contamination. I say stick with beef, eggs and poultry so all you have to worry about is mad cow and salmonella. HAHAHA! At least if you buy your fish from a domestic source, you are contributing to or economy. Help keep Americans employed.
    www.facebook.com/Todd.theCrown.Jewell www.twitter.com/toddjewell

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast