Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: offensive line help

Default offensive line help

My name is jordon im 6 feet 4 inches and weigh 284 my squat is 365 bench is 245 and deadlift is 455 i would like to get a hell of a lot stronger any advise is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by jordonbents View Post
    My name is jordon im 6 feet 4 inches and weigh 284 my squat is 365 bench is 245 and deadlift is 455 i would like to get a hell of a lot stronger any advise is appreciated
    how old are you, whats your training history?

Behemoth

are you in highschool ? I got up to a 370 bench,600 deadlift and a 480 squat by my senior year by just doin a 5x5 program .It wasnt till after highscool that I started to do different stuff like max effort days. Theres a lot of things that will help like working on your speed and working on staying low. I never had the staying low problem because Im only 5'9. Then again I was only good at football because I was so much stronger then anyone they put in front of me. Plus all of the weight that I could lift from squating and deadlifting made me one of the fastest linemen on the team.

im 16 years old and going to be a jr in high school ive only been lifting for two years

i have heard a lot of good things about the 5x5 thank you for the reply ill give it a try
    Last edited by jordonbents; August 13th, 2009 at 12:00 PM.

Jordon, good luck in your football career as you're going to be going through a great change physically over the next several years as your body is still maturing. Keep this in mind as you are training. Be very patient and remember football first. I know it's easy to get caught up in how much do you bench and how much do you squat but in the end of the day it's how well you play on the field is what is important and seems to be your main goals. The weightroom can most definitely make you a better player and just a better person.

Right now, just make sure you're in proper position and doing the lifts as solid as possible whatever the program you chose. It's impossible to just stick you into a generic program without seeing you move, seeing your weaknesess or sticking points, seeing your strengths, ability, genetics, background, workout capacity, etc. 5x5 is not a bad thing and might be a great way to approach your training as being simple as possible is what I believe in. I mean, with all the sports science, kiniesology, biomechanics, anatomy, etc. that we have, it all resorts back to one thing, busting your ass, then eating decent then sleeping. Obviously there are more optimal ways than others to achieve this but there is one common denominator that is present in all the stronger athletes in the world. All the best strongmen, olympic weightlifters, NFL lineman, throwers, all squat deep, pull from the floor and perform a press of some variation (bench, overhead, jerks, etc.) A westside barbell split of max effort, reptition effort and dynamic effort is what I'd probably recommend for you being a lineman. Read up on that , westside has great articles on their website. Seek out a coach and learn the olympic lifts such as the snatch and clean and jerk. I believe olympic lifts to be superior, but very few people are qualified to teach them properly to athletes. And most of these lifts take a great amount of time to truely learn and apply. Many athletic programs and off season splits simply don't allow for this type of learning curve. But do your best to become efficient with them as the carry over to sport is tremendous and will ad explosive strength, flexibility and coordination to your weightroom duties.

Good luck.

Jordon I agree with most of what P.A.S.m. said. In High School don't get too caught up in the numbers. I can bench x amount for x reps. That's the talk I know I played. It helps but doesn't always translate to on the field success. I've seen some really strong guys get creamed on the field because they don't have good flexibility or they don't understand leverage or they can bench so much they think they can press everyone and forget to use their hips and legs.

#1 thing to being a good football player is BE SMART!! KNOW your freakin plays inside and out. Know what all the other lineman's responsibilities are know where the FB and RB are going. Always know your job and you'll be ahead of most. Watch film and learn! Ask your coach to watch with you and help you if you need it. You can be the strongest guy in the State but if you can't do your job you're no good on the team. Now I'm not saying you're not smart or anything I just want to emphasize if you are wanting to play in college this is something that will help you a ton.

As far as training goes i think the guys have given you some great advice. 5x5 is awesome, Westside is Excellent (my preference). But FOR SURE work on your hips, core, and flexibility. As a lineman you will generate all your power from your hips and core so make sure they're strong. As mentioned your body will continue to mature and with a good program you will get strong. Once you get to college you will have a strength coach that will have an awesome program for you and you will literally DESTROY all of your PRs. But coaches can't teach effort and desire.

Know your plays, work on technique, continue getting stronger and give all of your effort and you will have an awesome Senior Year!! Good Luck!! I wish i could do it again it was the best time of my life. You'll have ups and downs but maintain a positive attitude combined with hard work and you'll be succesful in everything you do not just football!!

Nman that was very solid advice and thanks for touching upon some of the things i mentioned but adding your own advice. Jordan i think between our two posts you can see where some qualified people are going to go with this and I can't stress enough what Nman has said about your HIPS, CORE and FLEXIBILITY. Dynamic Stretch before you train and Static stretch after you train. Hip and shoulder flexibility are going to be crucial for you for not only your sport but your training and well being. As I got involved with competitive weightlifting, I found that my shoulder flexibility was lacking in such movements as the snatch. Working them daily through stretching and good technique, it will change but so much for you is to ensure longevity on the field. Recovery and restoration become a training means. Especially with you as a lineman, the wear and tear your shoulders will go through in the course of your football career and weightroom, you need to make sure they are taken care of. Wish you well.

Hey,

You guys seem to know quite a bit about all this. I am also an o-lineman in my first year of college. I was just curious if you guys have any advice for me basic or advanced? Ideas with supplementation would be great too.

GeorgeForemanRules

im 16 years old and going to be a jr in high school ive only been lifting for two years
    Post your exact training program in DETAIL.

Ok,

Currently we are training as a team, 3 lifts a week, 2 runs, and 1 practice.

Monday: Power Cleans 3x3 + Death drops, Front Squats 3x3 + SL jump tucks, SLDL 3x10, Weighted/plyo pushups 3x10/10, Torso drops 3x5, Pull up/Bent over Fly 3x max/10, Bicep/tricep choice 3x 10/10, core.

Monday Night is a agility workout

Tuesday Off

Wednesday: Overhead squat 3x5, Power clean complex 3x5, TRX bands pushups, single leg squats, pullups 3x10/10/10, Bench 3x5, Lat pulldowns 3xmax, DB Shoulder Press 3x10, Bi/tri choice 3x10, core

Thursday is agility workout

Friday: Hang Clean 3x5, Front squat 3x5 + squat jumps, Torso Drops 3x5, SLDL 3x10, Weighted/plyo pushups 3x10/10, Pullup/Bent over fly3x max/10, Bi/tri choice 3x 10/10, core

Friday Afternoon full practice.

GeorgeForemanRules

Quote Originally Posted by cozzijo433 View Post
    ok
    You are not jordonbents, so make your own thread if you have questions.

thank you so much for everything your advice has really helped me and since starting my new program bench is 270 squat is 405 and deadlift is 500 thanks so much!!!!!!

thank you so much for everything your advice has really helped me and since starting my new program bench is 270 squat is 405 and deadlift is 500 thanks so much!!!!!!
    Good work man!! Stay hungry and keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterPower584 View Post
    are you in highschool ? I got up to a 370 bench,600 deadlift and a 480 squat by my senior year by just doin a 5x5 program .It wasnt till after highscool that I started to do different stuff like max effort days. Theres a lot of things that will help like working on your speed and working on staying low. I never had the staying low problem because Im only 5'9. Then again I was only good at football because I was so much stronger then anyone they put in front of me. Plus all of the weight that I could lift from squating and deadlifting made me one of the fastest linemen on the team.
    the 5x5 program is great for building strength in high school athletes