Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hairy men = more test?

Default Hairy men = more test?

Hey this may sound like a stupid question but I have searched google and pubmed and I can't find any conclusive answers...

My friend is hairy, I mean very VERY hairy. He has hair on his back as thick as his beard! He tells me that he is so hairy because he has so much testosterone. He also says because of his naturally high test he can build muscle easier. Now I know that testosterone causes men to be more hairy than women, but is it true that hairy dudes have higher test levels than normal guys?

Nobody

Is the amount of body hair directly proportional to the amount of testosterone in my body?

Studies have shown a proportional relationship of testosterone levels to the amount of body hair. The hair growth response to testosterone differs in different parts of the body. Hence, in some men, for example, testosterone promotes hair growth in the abdomen and back while hair growth is suppressed in the scalp, leading to male pattern baldness. Genetics plays a major role in the expression of the 5-alpha reductase enzyme, which converts testosterone to the hair-altering compound dihydrotestosterone, leading to a family tendency towards balding. The drug finasteride (propecia) inhibits the action of 5-alpha reductase, and can reverse male pattern baldness in some men.

Amateur Threat

If it does, yay for armenia

No. It's not a rule. Nor a rule for being hairy and bald. It's about androgen receptors which is set on your genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by J.L. View Post
    Is the amount of body hair directly proportional to the amount of testosterone in my body?

Studies have shown a proportional relationship of testosterone levels to the amount of body hair. The hair growth response to testosterone differs in different parts of the body. Hence, in some men, for example, testosterone promotes hair growth in the abdomen and back while hair growth is suppressed in the scalp, leading to male pattern baldness. Genetics plays a major role in the expression of the 5-alpha reductase enzyme, which converts testosterone to the hair-altering compound dihydrotestosterone, leading to a family tendency towards balding. The drug finasteride (propecia) inhibits the action of 5-alpha reductase, and can reverse male pattern baldness in some men.
    Awesome answer, thanks. Seems like there may be some truth in his bragging! I wonder if that means that old dudes who go bald have higher test levels than other old guys.

Bro Scientist

Quote Originally Posted by gfiddy View Post
    Hey this may sound like a stupid question but I have searched google and pubmed and I can't find any conclusive answers...

My friend is hairy, I mean very VERY hairy. He has hair on his back as thick as his beard! He tells me that he is so hairy because he has so much testosterone. He also says because of his naturally high test he can build muscle easier. Now I know that testosterone causes men to be more hairy than women, but is it true that hairy dudes have higher test levels than normal guys?
    Hate to bust your friends fantasy about testosterone and muscle growth as it relates to excessive hair growth. The only thing excessive hair growth means is your friends hair follicles are well nourished and protected from the ravages of Dihydrotestosterone which causes a destruction of hair follicles. Remember testosterone comes in many forms in the body for the purposes of aggression, muscle building, strength, hair growth, male features, bone strength, other hormone production and secretion etc etc. His excess hair will not indicate he is going to get bigger faster or stronger faster...but it will cause him to have to go to the barber a lot more than normal guys...that is unles he likes looking like THE MISSING LINK!!!

Atlas

In that case most arabs would be huuge lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Swede View Post
    In that case most arabs would be huuge lol.
    lol you are wrong they all have the potential

Atlas

hahaha, I was about to add "Zack not included" not sure what country hes originally from so I skipped it haha, Hes one big hairy bastard though