Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refeeds Precontest...

Default Refeeds Precontest...

Hoping mods can leave this here. It will get the most attention and probably best answer here.......

When you hit a refeed day during your contest prep, what exactly are you looking for? Weight gain? I read that you should gain weight on refeed days and always read about all these 8-10lbs gains on refeed days.

I typically am afraid of refeeds precontest even if im flat. On the few times iv tried it, i didnt gain ANY weight (maybe 1-2lbs?). I just start to sweat my ASS off and get sleepy. Even on days after my show...it takes me like 1-2 full days of eating garbage to rebound and start gaining weight. Could i be OVER depleted?

I never relied on the scale for refeed results, as I usually gain a few lbs that night and then am actually down a lb or so from the original point by morning. It's more about fullness, both muscle fullness and satiation. Sweating is good - that's your metabolism cranked up.

Quote Originally Posted by TooPowerful4u View Post
    Hoping mods can leave this here. It will get the most attention and probably best answer here.......

When you hit a refeed day during your contest prep, what exactly are you looking for? Weight gain? I read that you should gain weight on refeed days and always read about all these 8-10lbs gains on refeed days.

I typically am afraid of refeeds precontest even if im flat. On the few times iv tried it, i didnt gain ANY weight (maybe 1-2lbs?). I just start to sweat my ASS off and get sleepy. Even on days after my show...it takes me like 1-2 full days of eating garbage to rebound and start gaining weight. Could i be OVER depleted?
    That means you were most like too glycogen depeleted.

Refeeds are meant to replenish glycogen stores and spike your metabolism like was said.

Your body is basically saying "Holy shit...time to get to work" after it's been shut down (basically) from dieting hard.

Most of the weight gain is water.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jay View Post
    That means you were most like too glycogen depeleted.

Refeeds are meant to replenish glycogen stores and spike your metabolism like was said.

Your body is basically saying "Holy shit...time to get to work" after it's been shut down (basically) from dieting hard.

Most of the weight gain is water.
    Yes, i am familiar with most of this info, thanx guys.

I realize most of the weight gain is water being held from the carbs. But if im not gaining weight, that means my body isnt storing the carbs right? My metabolism flies and i tend to burn off carbs FAST

<---thats me 5 weeks out after a 500g carb day a few (4-5) days ago...im flat again today, down 3lbs and can see and feel it

Well in theory the weight has to go somewhere.

Judging by the fact you are telling us that refeeds scare you...you may not be doing them right.

A true refeed is an all day binge.

I differentiate between a cheat and a refeed in that a cheat is one meal. A refeed is several over the course of a day.

That 1-2 lbs. could be the muscles uptaking water and nutrients (glycogen) which is what we want. You should hold water on the skin level temporarily.

I dunno...personally I've never liked all day refeeds. Cheats are fine. I always judged it like this:

No cheats = behind

Cheat here and there = on schedule

Refeeds = way too far ahead/too flat

Oh and by the way, refeeds can be upwards of 1000g of carbs. 500g of carbs is like a cheat meal. The flatness 4-5 days post is to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jay View Post
    Well in theory the weight has to go somewhere.

Judging by the fact you are telling us that refeeds scare you...you may not be doing them right.

A true refeed is an all day binge.

I differentiate between a cheat and a refeed in that a cheat is one meal. A refeed is several over the course of a day.

That 1-2 lbs. could be the muscles uptaking water and nutrients (glycogen) which is what we want. You should hold water on the skin level temporarily.

I dunno...personally I've never liked all day refeeds. Cheats are fine. I always judged it like this:

No cheats = behind

Cheat here and there = on schedule

Refeeds = way too far ahead/too flat
    Good reasoning. Which one of the 3 above scenario's would "gets flat too quickly and drops weight way too fast" fall into? For some reason this prep iv kept carbs higher than usual, and it just seemed to speed up my metabolism and keep me flattening out at an accelerated rate. The only time my veins pop is either during a workout or after a HUGE cheat meal. I can eat 2 big yams and not fill out much and i stay pretty dry.

lol be nice if you could ask Phil Heath, my God did he feel out for the night show! (And yes, I know he was sick or whatever..)
    A standard is set when performance is taken to a new level.

Carb ups are done periodically throughout a diet to fill out the muscles, which will be flat due to low carbs. The idea is keeps one from losing muscle mass during a diet. It allows one to keep using high weight to maintain their mass. If you start losing a lot of strength you will eventually lose muscle.

I wouldn't judge by the scale, but I would make sure you're getting to enough to fill out you out a bit more for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by TooPowerful4u View Post

Damn, i would think if your gaining 8 lbs on a refreed day your doing something wrong. I thought refreeds had more to do with metabolism and Leptin (sp?) levels, but im not sure.

Kai Greene gained about 20 pounds after a refeed day a couple weeks before the Olympia.

True story.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONSTUDENT View Post
    Damn, i would think if your gaining 8 lbs on a refreed day your doing something wrong. I thought refreeds had more to do with metabolism and Leptin (sp?) levels, but im not sure.
    It is, but you're most likely going to gain water weight over the course of a few days after your re-feed day. Eight pounds wouldn't be uncommon.

Oh boy here we go with all the bullshit, your starting to analyze things to much, be smart be simple, you know how your body reacts you dont need reinsurance we both know that, I know it gets lonely in the last weeks of ur prep but your doing great just stay off these damn boards I say.

V V
    Classic physique with modern mass.

I was always scared to refeed !

It works....do it My refeed this weekend is 1000g of Carbs.....

If you seem like you NEVER fill out after a refeed and just seem to piss a lot get checked for Diabetes......

I have 17 days till competition and will do last refeed day 14 days out considering I will be carb loading before the competition. Any opinion?
    DEDICATED FOR LIFE.

Freak of Nature

8-10lbs in a refeed? lol

I'm not 250lbs but when I dieted I averaged ~200-240g carb a day, and every 3-4 days it was bumped to 350-400.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast