Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Q and A with the "PRO MAKER" George Farah

That's why you're THE BEST! thanks G, ordering today
    yea I can back it up!

George-

I need to lose some unwanted bodyfat before I start my next off-season. I am going to follow your program that you outlined on your website and in last month's MD. I want to start working with you after I shed some fat. I will document my progress and share my results on here!
    J
    Muscle Tech Athlete

thanks! ill try to stop in this weakend.

hey george was just wondering

do you work with teens??

Default Question for George Farah

Hello George, Iíve been reading your column in MD during the last two issues and have found your input very enlightening, mainly because it outlines everything Iíve possibly been doing wrong up until this point. Iím particularly interested in reading about how you assisted Branch in his training and nutrition. Iím a 6í2Ē male about 250 Ibs and I have to reduce my body fat percentage big time, (Iím roughly 23 percent). Up until now Iíve used the low carb approach believing that I could recondition my metabolism to derive itís energy strait from fat storage by depriving it of carbs, (yep, I read the Dr. Atkins book). Itís gotten my some decent results up to a point but progress has slowed; and to be honest, itís very hard to stick to. What interested me the most about reading your last two columns wasnít just that you advocate a higher carb diet, but that you recommended a maximum of only 45 minutes of moderate intensity cardio per day during the contest season to lose fat, (usually just half an hour). Obviously someone like me with only a fraction of the muscle tissue that Branch has wouldnít eat 700 Ė 1000 carbs a day, but 45 Ė 60 percent of my daily caloric intake coming from complex carbohydrates is still way more carbs then I thought was possible to lose body fat with only an average of 30 minutes of moderate cardio a day. I would have thought that youíd be spending most of the cardio session burning off carbohydrates before even hitting fat storage. How is it possible? Would you recommend I try it? Why do you not recommend more cardio a day like other body builders do? Thank you very much for your time. It would actually be a relief for me to learn that Iíve been taking the wrong approach all this time and can incorporate some complex carbs in my diet.

George--

Since i respect your opinions--let me run this by you:

I managed to gain back too much fat after my last show this past July. I'm getting ready to start my off-season--but I'm already too fat for my liking.

If you were me, what kind of diet /cardio would you implement to quickly lose some fat over a 4-6 week period before beginning a clean off-season diet?

Thanks bro and I hope all is well!!

Josiah
    Muscle Tech Athlete

vargasty

What's up George? I am really impressed with your results over the last year with your clients. I totally agree with you suggesting that bodybuilders stay leaner so that they do not have to diet away hard earned muscle to loose fat with excessive cardio. What is your protein reccomendation when cutting? I believe it is 1.5 g per lb. of bodyweight?

Vargasty, protein is like the carbs when it come down dieting down. Certain people can tolerate 3 grams per lb of muscles while others they will only need less then one gram per lb. It us very hard to tell you exactly how much to consume without working with you.

Jnova, you should start with very clean diet that is very low in fat moderate in carbs and higher in protein and never try to add more then 20lbs max to your showing weight otherwise you're most likely are adding fat.

Paul snow, if I was you I will start adding carbs slowly and eliminate most of the fats as you go until you reach a point that you feel comfertable in the way that you're looking and feel.

Lally, of course I work with teens. My teen won the overall Nationals

jordank, I advise all of my athlets to keep their cardio in even in the off season so most of the weight they will gain comes clean without the added fat. Cardio help you absorb your nutrients better and keep your metabolism going and for added benefit it keeps you hungry at Lear that is the case with me . 20/30 minutes 4/5 x a week will work wonders.

I have now implemented cardio into my offseason for obvious reasons. Im 25yrs old sitting at 205lbs and aiming to keep my HR anywhere from 130-140 the length of my cardio session. Im doing about 3-4x a week and slowly making each session become on an empty stomache in the morning. Are my HR's BPM accurate for my statistics?

Also would doing a day or 2 more of cardio (4-5days) hault my gains in the offseason or possibly only benefit them? It will obviously benefit for reasons such as making my next contest prep easier (if to use the word easy hehe) but, what would be some other added benefits besides the obvious "better overall health, better metabolism etc". Like with less fat and more Lean Mass it'll be easier for me to gain more Lean Mass...things of that nature.

Thumbs up tHANKS GEORGE

LOOKING FORWARD FOR YOUR VISIT BACK IN INDIA..

Hey george, first and foremost you did and AMAZING job with Branch. He is a true class act and I was excited to see him finally get some of the respect his demeanor and personality command.

My question is with nutrition. My trainer has me eating clean and we just added cardio. Mid-day I absolutely crave and I mean CRAVE nuts. Like peanut butter, cashews, walnuts, anything. Is this common or does that mean something in my diet is lacking?

Thanks.

Default diet duration

hey how is it going my name is Aaron Jenkins I am a 20 year old bb I am currently 270 pounds with an 8 % body fat standing at 6'2 I am training for the north Carolina state championships in April. I am planning on dieting for 16 weeks starting in December. I thought that since I am tall and I cannot afford to lose any mass if I diet for a longer period I can restrict my calories at a more moderate level in order to avoid putting my lean mass in jeopardy. I am obviously going to have to compete as a super heavy at my height to be successful and I refuse to be the stereotype out of shape super heavy. I am going to follow a high carb high protein low fat diet and I plan to incorporate cardio as needed starting at 20 min a day. am I way off base here should I diet for a shorter period of time? any advice u have is greatly appreciated thank you so much for taking the time to answer the amateur questions of guys like me u are a class act.

George,

When keeping track of your protein intake do you count only the protein you get from direct sources (poultry, beef, fish, eggs, powder, etc), or do you also count the trace amounts from oats, rice, and potatoes

George,

When keeping track of your protein intake do you count only the protein you get from direct sources (poultry, beef, fish, eggs, powder, etc), or do you also count the trace amounts from oats, rice, and potatoes

Nobody

Hey George, I had a question concerning sleep. My name is Dave Ziegler, Im 19 yearís old 250lb off-season at the moment. I tend to have difficulty with falling asleep and staying asleep for more then a few hours without waking up and at least taking a few moments to doze off again. I take all my vitamins and minerals before sleep, and also a protein shake/creatine. Both separate from each other. Also my diet at the time is very sloppy, I don't hold fat easily so for me to grow (I assume) I eat daily my 200-300grams of protein, and carbs from all kinds of places ranging from some good-- to mostly very bad. Candy, chips, all that category. I plan on competing in 2011 at the NPC Delaware open. Any advice would be a great attribute to my training, and lifestyle.
    -I would also like you to look through my website to see my photos, and give me a complete no bull, no sugar coat opinion on my genetic potential, and criticism on what needs work.
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/CraZDrtRider17/

hi george

just wanted to ask you do you count the protein in carbs when calculate protein intake?

So, theoretically provided I am at the upper intake recommended for protein of 1.5 grams per pound (around 195 grams), then whether I do a more moderate carb and moderate fat approach (say 260 grams carbs and 75 grams fat), or a higher carb lower fat approach (closer to 325 grams carbs and 50 grams of fat or less) won't make a difference given the same caloric level? ANd while it may be theoretical, empirically have most of your clients done better one way or the other (I kno everyone is different but is their a apparent majority?).

Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast