Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How has age affected your training?

Nobody

Life begins at any age!!

Quote Originally Posted by FitnFirm View Post
    I will be 44 in 3 days and I have to say age has not had an impact on my training at all but it has on my diet. I def have to watch what I eat because your metabolism changes with age, so I just keep up the best I can and get help from the pro's when I need it.
    I'm gonna second that. Being 41 seems to be harder on the metabolism that it was when I was, say, 30. Dieting is definately tougher.

Other than that I think I'm far stronger now than when I was training in my 20s. And definately bigger. I fucked up and layed off for more than 10 years before re-starting again a couple of years ago. But back then the best I ever got was 157. So far I've hit 190, then back down to 159, now 170.
    "Life is about choices: tap, nap, or SNAP!" ~ Future UFC Lightweight Champion Marcus Hicks

Forum Leader: No Bull Sports, MD Pets! paradox's Avatar

I defiantly would say MMA (mixed martial arts)

Although im only 23, iv popped both of my knee caps out of place quite a few times, once they pop out the first time, there prone to popping out again much easier.

Although i still spar on the regular, i gave up MMA competing(for now anway lol) , i normally competed at 190 mark, being close 230 is defiantly too much for me, even though i am lean at that weight.

Quote Originally Posted by V Shredder View Post
    I'm gonna second that. Being 41 seems to be harder on the metabolism that it was when I was, say, 30. Dieting is definately tougher.

Other than that I think I'm far stronger now than when I was training in my 20s. And definately bigger. I fucked up and layed off for more than 10 years before re-starting again a couple of years ago. But back then the best I ever got was 157. So far I've hit 190, then back down to 159, now 170.
    I agree,I have to eat much lower carbs these days to get leaner,but my training is still hard,fast,and as heavy as possible for the rep range I`m shooting for.

I`m carb sensitive now that I`m older,when I was a kid,I could eat anything and still be ripped.

Shredder,I missed about 11-12 years of training myself,but I`m bigger,leaner,and as strong or stronger than ever....just more proof that it`s never too late to get into shape at any age.
    Strictly Business

Quote Originally Posted by Timski View Post
    I agree,I have to eat much lower carbs these days to get leaner,but my training is still hard,fast,and as heavy as possible for the rep range I`m shooting for.

I`m carb sensitive now that I`m older,when I was a kid,I could eat anything and still be ripped.

Shredder,I missed about 11-12 years of training myself,but I`m bigger,leaner,and as strong or stronger than ever....just more proof that it`s never too late to get into shape at any age.
    Exactly. We're all human and fall by the wayside for a myriad reasons. There's no reason anyone can't pick up where they left off no matter what excuse they use. All my family has excuses. All my friends have excuses. Yet my life is no less busy than theirs. Makes ya wonder.

The one thing I can't really seem to be able to read for consitency IS my body. I leaned out real fast - over the course of two months - eating more carbs than ever before. But I had to eat like every hour or so. Very, very frequently. More so than I was physicaly able to due to job and everything else that comes during the day. Now I'm eating less carbs, sitting behind a desk and eating every 3 hours or so. And I'm getting bigger. LOL, I don't want "bigger", I want strength and function for fighting.
    "Life is about choices: tap, nap, or SNAP!" ~ Future UFC Lightweight Champion Marcus Hicks

Great posts - I've found at 42 I have to take more care with heavy movements but that's what age is for, you tend to be a little more disciplined. Sleep is a biggy and I can tell when I'm not getting enough as my recovery time sinks through the floor - having 4 kids doesn't help the sleeping but if I can manage 7 hours I'm good to go - unfortunately it's often closer to 5 or 6 hours.

I've found with age I've had to become better at organizing an increasingly busy schedule so that I fit in my proper meals and have enough time for workouts. Juggling a busy career and a full household can be challenging but once again it all comes down to discipline which you hopefully have more of at our age.

Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Always Sore View Post
    The thing that changed the most is my knowledge. I know more now then I did at 20 and wish I still had the youthfull energy and easy schedual. At 39 I am stronger and bigger and work much smarter then in my youth. I know how my body responds and what to much is. I think back to all the eat anything workout life and kick myself for not being more focused. At this stage in my life I only hope to pass on to my son what I have learned and if he has the same passion as I do maybe he will take it farther then I did.I can only hope.

I'm feeling ya loud and clear. Reading Old Navy's post makes me smile aswell. that's quite cool to hear. My Father is an ex - world record holder and I'm trying to encourage him to in 20 yrs or so pull off an over 80's WR:-)...

Anyway, .. I think you hit it on the head. As we get older, the only thing that seems to prevent alot of ppl from continuing and maintaining or even acheiving for the first time peak levels of fitness, eventually, as far as I can predict and 've noticed in my 32 yrs in the world, seems to comes down to long term lifestyle planning. Once we open that can of worms, it can become pretty damming involved and intimidiating to want to tackle.
    I was at an awesome world fitness level only a cpl of yrs ago, and I am stilll in the thros of restructuring my long term abilty to maintain my ideal daily schedule and asthetic maximum. For myself that's meant i need more money ( and being a buddhist that's meant only via certain means and industries) and it's not so easy on the ego from that point to go back and dot those I's and cross those T's when otherwise we might eek out a certain performance level for a certain time and revel in those laurals and again as a buddhist make enough money to do it all other ways .. and even in regard to the modelling contracts I've had to pass up at $520 000 a yr plus expenses for the last decent offer,but through comprimise of my beliefs. . I've even at tuimes dropped some of both my fitness and asthetic presentation to be able to set up better for a longer term.

I'd of heart break if I didn't believe I could work out at the level I wanted into old age if i wanted. I look around me at ppl aging and what their prospects are set to expire at or degenerate on and I'm just glad I got a heads up early enough.

Blooming tianshi lotus.
    Last edited by Blooming lotus; August 12th, 2007 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC BIG MIKE View Post
    I'm 45. I like to lift heavy. I use a EOD day protocol with a 4 way split. 1) Chest and tris and abs. 2) Shoulders and biceps. 3) Back and forearms and abs. 4) Legs. This way I get the recovery I need and hit the whole body in a "8 Day Week". Works for me.

NYC BIG MIKE

Mike, its goin good so far. I feel nice and rested. I do the cardio every morning though. I think Ill stick with this format for a while.

Thanks again

I am 45 and my body looks better than it did in my 20s. When I turned 40 my mid-life crisis was to push myself athletically much harder and further than ever before...I remember crying tears of joy the first time I finished a 10 mile run. And that was just the beginning.

As I have pushed myself beyond all expectations, the thing that I have learned the most is to have PATIENCE with myself and REVERENCE for my body. I am also thinking ahead intelligently. For example, I do not want to continue pushing my body through endless endurance activities and I am stepping up the weight training to further protect this precious gift of health I have been given.

One more thing....it is important to keep learning and to keep an open mind. Yes, my metabolism has dropped as the years have increased but I have been able to make up for that by learning what works diet-wise and by stepping up the discipline needed.

Just my .02. I still have a lot to learn.

Glad to see that there are still many middle age guys still training and handling all their other responsibilities. I am 55 years old and still going at it as best I can. I can say from 28 years of pumping iron that I hold my warmup as the most important aspect of my training since my rotator cuff tear last November. I warm up thoroughly and am not as interested in breaking world stength records which predominated my thinking up until last November. cannot really bench as heavy anyway cause of pain in both shoulders especially the one I injured. I am just grateful taht I can still train. My metabolism is still really fast can eat like a horse and find gaining muscle a challenge even today. Ate so much over the yaers have some digestive issues to contend with.On creatine and various proteins and workout 3 times a week and play tennis intensely a couple times a week with the wife. I tried playing tennis and pumping iron on same day too old for that could do that years ago. Other than that gradually increasing my poundage lifted instead of trying to gain it back all at once. I used to be dumb after a layoff try to use immediately what i was lifting. other than taht i hope to be lifting for life and what pace who knows

All I know is that I get more out of my workouts then I use to when I was younger. Not only do I train smarter but I benefit more from training because I eat so much better than when I was younger. At 42, I still train heavy, barely take days off and feel great. Peace.

Same here Joe,and welcome to the board.
    Strictly Business

At 40 it's just training a bit smarter (no singles or doubles anymore) and allowing for more rest. I train 2-3x per week mainly due to time but even with unlimited time I'd likely not train much more frequent than that. I come back into the gym fully recovered and fully focussed. I've dropped several exercises over the years due to injuries, both major and minor. These include off the floor deads, straight bar curls and overhead BB press. For me, it's just not worth risking further injury.

As have some others here, I've definitely noticed a slower metabolism over the past couple of years and have found that all things being equal I need to eat much less calories to maintain or lose weight.

Overall though I still feel great and I'm stronger now than I was at any other point in my life. I'd be lying though if I said I haven't noticed some signs of age (a pain or two that just shouldn't be there). In the end it's all a losing battle but I'm hoping to keep going as long as possible.

Dr Pangloss

Quote Originally Posted by RJP View Post
    At 40 it's just training a bit smarter (no singles or doubles anymore) and allowing for more rest. I train 2-3x per week mainly due to time but even with unlimited time I'd likely not train much more frequent than that. I come back into the gym fully recovered and fully focussed. I've dropped several exercises over the years due to injuries, both major and minor. These include off the floor deads, straight bar curls and overhead BB press. For me, it's just not worth risking further injury.
    As above, i have dropped behind the neck presses and heavy barbell bench presses and dips. Purely a rotator compromise. I also warm up more on everything.

Recently tore my calf muscle and had to institute a warm up and stretch for calves as well.

pretty soon, 90 percent of my workout will be a warmup.

Yeah, I started out years ago doing BTN presses and lat pulldowns. That was just what you did and you didn't question it. Luckily I didn't do permanent rotator cuff damage but for years I trained with pain and often could barely bench or do other presses. Once I dropped both, over time my rotator cuffs were completely pain free and for the most part have been ever since.

Dropping straight bar curls was a factor of a horrible case of tendonitis I got about 7 years ago which got so bad at one point I barely trained bis directly for a little over a year. Once I got to the point where I could train relatively pain free, I only used DBs and warmed up for 2 or 3 sets with very light weight. I eventually got back to about 90% but dropped the straight bar. I say "90%" since to this day while nothing debilitating, I still feel something in the background reminding me it's still there if I want to try something stupid. Most of the time I listen

Quote Originally Posted by Timski View Post
    Same here Joe,and welcome to the board.
    Thanks, it's a great board!

Hello, my name is David, and this is my first post here

I've been lifting weights, off and on, since I was 16 years old. I'm now 52. As I've gotten older, and most significantly in the last five years or so, I've had to make adjustments to compensate for age related changes,

1) I injure more easily, and heal more slowly. I have to pay much more attention to strict form and careful lifting.
    2) I use rotator cuff and lower back strengthening and stretching routines to minimize injury.
    3) I need more volume...more sets per muscle group...to make any gains.
    4) I need more recovery time.
    5) I no longer tolerate long sessions in the gym. I need to get out well under one hour.
    5) With 3, 4, and 5, above, in mind, I use a four way split...legs, back, chest/shoulders, arms...which allows me sufficient time to get the required volume in under an hour, and I cycle the split once per week, which gives me sufficient recovery time. I wouldn't be surprised if in another decade, I need 10-14 days to recover.
    6) I pay closer attention to pre, intra, and post workout nutrition, to aid recovery.
    7) I no longer give unsolicited advice in the gym. Young guys thing the old guy can't possibly know anything, and they don't like it when their girlfriends ask them why the old guy is bigger and more muscular than they are

Will Brink told me this was a good forum and that I should give it a try. But, where are the dog and gun threads? Can't have a good forum without dog and gun threads. Really, that would be...absurd.

David

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast