Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Super supplementation of Vitamin C

Default Super supplementation of Vitamin C

Just came across this 2008 study, suggesting high dosage Vitamin C decreases mitochondrial creation and decreases endurance. The study also suggest that it hampers the use antioxidant enzymes. Kind of a bummer. Has anyone else found any other study that would confirm this? Also I thought the consumption of 2000 mg before workout could hamper the release of cortisone... Any thoughts on this?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18175748

i wanna know more ive bein having 3500mg daily. Wondering if ie bein short changing myself a little.

Behemoth

I used to take five grams a day and then I started to get massive joint point from it.

wonder if that would be worth taking out of pct. which is more important, cortisol control, or the problems caused by vitc?

Isn't that an animal study that was already mentioned on ergo-log.

If so, it was short term and definitley inconclusive I take about 4-5g in supplementation and do not find any problems better yet I do not seem to get sick often so that is certainly a plus for me.

Cortisol control much more important. Also I do IF so I engage in some volitile feeding frenzies and vit C supposedly makes you less fat even if you consume a lot of it.
    Biotivia Supported Athlete/Biotivia Rep

Last prep I consumed 5+ g/day , This prep I take about half that and have had better results all around.

Quote Originally Posted by sugardaddy69 View Post

If so, it was short term and definitley inconclusive I take about 4-5g in supplementation and do not find any problems better yet I do not seem to get sick often so that is certainly a plus for me.

Cortisol control much more important. Also I do IF so I engage in some volitile feeding frenzies and vit C supposedly makes you less fat even if you consume a lot of it.
    I am just going to assume you didn't read the study since you just asked me if it was an animal study. It clearly states in the 1st of the three line description under design that it included both men and winstar rats. You really deserve a dunce hat.
    Can't spell strength without tren.

So I guess we are talking about different studies daaa
    Biotivia Supported Athlete/Biotivia Rep

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

High does Vitamin C supplementation is flawed as absorption is not actually that good. Think about it...

A good, decent dosed Vit C tablet is 1,000mg. This 1,000mg is a highly processed, synthetic form of Vit C that has basically had all of the natural good stuff stripped and thrown away! Your common, Vit C tablet is artificially produced from corn glucose, via chemical and/or fermentation processes (not that your vitamin company will tell you this). If that was not bad enough, they legally do not need to declare any of the 450 synthetic fillers & binders they use either

"Vitamin C is produced from glucose by two main routes. The Reichstein Process, developed in the 1930s, uses a single pre-fermentation followed by a purely chemical route. The modern two-step fermentation process, originally developed in China in the 1960s, uses additional fermentation to replace part of the later chemical stages. Both processes yield approximately 60% vitamin C from the glucose feed."

Sourced from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin...rial_synthesis

Your body doesn't actually need that much Vitamin C ~ 100mg per day is absolutely fine for the average man when consumed in a natural state eg fruits such as kiwi fruits, acerola berries, strawberries & lemons, vegetables such as kale, broccoli, red and green peppers etc etc.

Aim to get your vitamin C in as naturally as possible and don't buy into mega-dosing. The studies don't support the effectiveness of doing so.
    Last edited by Mini Forklift Ⓥ; June 7th, 2011 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sugardaddy69 View Post

Yea, although not currently, I use to take in 3 - 6g Vit C a day for a while, and didn't notice any negative effects.
    Like you I seemed not to get sick much, or at all really.

That's pretty much the case with every antioxidant. When taken too much, which people will easily do, it becomes a pro oxidant.
    Jimmy Smith, MS,CSCS
    http://www.jimmysmithtraining.com

I used to take 5-6g daily or even 7g daily.

I noticed a diuretic effect

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Forklift Ⓥ View Post
    High does Vitamin C supplementation is flawed as absorption is not actually that good. Think about it...

A good, decent dosed Vit C tablet is 1,000mg. This 1,000mg is a highly processed, synthetic form of Vit C that has basically had all of the natural good stuff stripped and thrown away! Your common, Vit C tablet is artificially produced from corn glucose, via chemical and/or fermentation processes (not that your vitamin company will tell you this). If that was not bad enough, they legally do not need to declare any of the 450 synthetic fillers & binders they use either

"Vitamin C is produced from glucose by two main routes. The Reichstein Process, developed in the 1930s, uses a single pre-fermentation followed by a purely chemical route. The modern two-step fermentation process, originally developed in China in the 1960s, uses additional fermentation to replace part of the later chemical stages. Both processes yield approximately 60% vitamin C from the glucose feed."

Sourced from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin...rial_synthesis

Your body doesn't actually need that much Vitamin C ~ 100mg per day is absolutely fine for the average man when consumed in a natural state eg fruits such as kiwi fruits, acerola berries, strawberries & lemons, vegetables such as kale, broccoli, red and green peppers etc etc.

Aim to get your vitamin C in as naturally as possible and don't buy into mega-dosing. The studies don't support the effectiveness of doing so.

Little Guy

vitamin C is good for sleep and strengh immune system. It is a Super supplementation.