Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Master Bodybuilder competition thread

Default Master Bodybuilder competition thread

If any of you guys 40 and up are competing, please consider posting your competition schedule in this thread, also posting your competition prep training logs and photos would be excellent as well.

Thanks for the consideration

Aug 18- Canadian Nationals

Las Vegas Bodybuilding Classic

November 10th.

Easterns.

November 10th.

NYC BIG MIKE

Already did the Metropolitans in April, and the New Englands in May......next up is Rochester-June 9th.,NABBA Jr. Nationals in August,and NABBA Nationals in October, then food like a big dog!! LOL
    Strictly Business

NPFC-IFBB State Titles, Australian Nationals (Oct 07) and Worlds (Nov 07)

Good luck to all masters competitors this year, keep us posted as to your prep progress and results.

Yep all the best to everyone competing in the Masters class....

Default First Guest Poser Appearance and First Pro Show on the Same Night

Saturday, May 5, 2007, NPC Vulcan Classic, Birmingham, Alabama

Results: Open Men’s Lightweight – Second; Men’s Master 50+ First

After coming off of a six-month hiatus from competing, I was eager to return to competition. With two weeks to go until my first Pro Show on May 12, I decided to enter the NPC Vulcan Classic, held in Birmingham, Alabama, where I live. It’s the second year for this non-pro qualifier. The NPC is interested in this show and had the NPC Alabama State Chairman as the Head Judge.

The show had several small classes, including Teen, Novice, Junior Open, Open, Masters and Figure. There was also a Mr. Birmingham class. There were no female bodybuilders entered.

All of the classes were competitive, as several athletes were using this show as a warm up for upcoming NPC pro-qualifier contests.

I competed in the Men’s Master 50+ Class and since the other 50+ Master who paid to enter didn’t show up, I was the only one in the Class, so I placed First. On stage, I competed with the Men’s Master 40+ Class and that was awesome. They kept us on stage for quite a while. I loved it. Hell, I wanted to beat some of those kids, so I posed like I was trying to. LOL

In the Open Men’s Lightweight Class, there was one other competitor, a young athlete who was my size and weight. He is a 35 year-old active duty U.S. Navy Recruiter, based in Birmingham. This was his second show. He was outstanding. He is a natural athlete and we talked back stage about him competing in natural federations. We are going to work together towards that goal. A Navy Captain helping a Navy Chief Petty Officer. Makes sense to us.

I had a great time with my individual posing routine, a 60-seconds version of my Glenn Miller St. Louis Blues March routine. The audience seemed to enjoy it, too.

After the show, I flew to Las Vegas to attend a convention and then on Wednesday, I flew to Salt Lake City, Utah and met up with my distance training client who is traianing to compete in the 2007 NGA Mountain States Regional Bodybuilding Championship as a Novice and Master. I am the Guest Poser for his show and will compete in the 2007 NGA Olympic Gold Junior Pro Championship that same night.

I am confident that this warm up show was very beneficial and will allow me to come in a little better when I step onto the stage in Salt Lake City next Saturday.

Sunday, May 13, 2007, NGA Olympic Gold Junior Pro Championship, Salt Lake City, Utah

Results: Third Place

What a night. It was my first Guest Poser appearance and my first Pro Competition.

I had a great time doing my three 90-seconds posing routines, back-to-back, with costume changes (quickly) in front on 450 people at the 2007 NGA Mountain States Regional Pro Qualifier Bodybuilding and Figure Championship, in Bountiful, Utah, a suburb of Salt Lake City. I believe the audience had as much fun watching as I did performing.

The contest began with a large Teen Class, followed by an equally large Masters Class. I did my Guest Posing stint following the Novice and Figure Competition.

The Open Class completed their competition and then the NGA Olympic Gold Junior Pro Championship completed the evening.

I had time to pump up while the Open was in progress and was ready when the Head Judge called the Pros to the stage.

The NGA Olympic Gold Junior Pro Championship is for first-time professional athletes and the competition for me was exciting and fun as we began to hit our poses for the first time as Pros.

First Place went to Shane Stewart, NGA Mr. Utah for 2005 & 2006. Second Place went to Ray Long, from South Carolina, now living in Utah. Ray is a 190 pound, 5' 6" former power lifter. His quad, hams, chest, back package was awesome. I was proud to stand with these guys and place Third in my first pro show.

In addition to the cash prize, we were awarded beautiful leather show jackets with "2007 NGA Olympic Gold Junior Pro Champion" embossed on the back and the NGA logo over the chest on the left front. A Very Cool Jacket.

After the show, the promoter, Blair Dean, invited my training client and me to have dinner with his family, the show staff and some of the judges. Blair is a Class Act, and this was a great experience. Doc, my client, placed Third in the Novice Lightweight Division. He won his first trophy at his first show, at 61. He was pumped.

Now, I'm training for my next show, the NPA Masters Universe in Ft. Lee, Virginia on June 30th, where I hope to earn my third Masters Pro Card so I have more choices for Master Pro Competitons in the future.

Here are a few photos from my first two shows of the year, the NPC Vulcan Classic in Birmingham, Alabama on May 5th and the NGA Olympic Gold Junior Pro Championship in Salt Lake City, Utah on May 12th.

Body Building Senior Photo Gallery 2007
    Last edited by Old Navy; May 15th, 2007 at 03:21 PM.

Monday, May 14, 2007

It's really starting to sink in. I actually had my first Guest Poser appearance and also competed in my first Pro Show on Saturday. How cool was that? I had a great time and a memorable experience. It was my 18th show. I remember my first amateur contest when I was 61, the NPC Northern Kentucky in March 2005. I will certainly add my first Guest Poser appearance and Pro Show to my bodybuilding memory bank. It was a nice way to start my 64th year (April 28).

In addition to the cash prize I received for placing Third, the promoter presented me with a beautiful leather jacket with "NGA 2007 Olympic Gold Junior Pro Champion" embossed on the back.. It was about 70 degrees out when I left home for the gym this morning. I took the lining out of the jacket and wore my new "trophy" over my gym clothes. It felt great. When I get home after work, I will hang it in the closet and then continue to prepare for my next competition.

I felt at the Pro Show I needed to add some more size to my legs and to work on my abs. I started a new workout plan today that will emphasize those body parts as I prepare for a contest on June 30th. I am doing three sets of every exercise, going to failure at 6RM, 12 RM and 25 RM. I will work this plan for the next six weeks.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I continued to work on adding size to my legs by working "reps to failure" sets. I did squats, extensions, ham curls, adduction and abduction. Each exercise consisted of three sets. The first was 6 RM, the second was 12 RM and the third was 25 RM. This was tough. I ended the workout with three sets of 25 reps of seated calve raises. Tomorrow is a cardio only day, with some abs work and pull ups for good measure.

I am 99% certain to compete in the NPC all south in St Augustine Florida this NOV. I may do the NPC Mountaineer, (Boone NC ) late sept if I can kick my diet is the azz and get ready that soon.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Dr Pangloss

Quote Originally Posted by NYC BIG MIKE View Post
    Easterns.

November 10th.

NYC BIG MIKE

Where is this held? I can check but if you know please post.

sstandley,The Eastern USA`s are held at the Tribecca Performing Arts Center in NYC on Chambers St.
    Strictly Business

Dr Pangloss

Quote Originally Posted by Timski View Post
    sstandley,The Eastern USA`s are held at the Tribecca Performing Arts Center in NYC on Chambers St.

Thanks, Timski. I may have to scout that one this year. Not planning to compete for 2 solid years though...

BTW, sorry about shitting on your thread. Won't happen again.

Hey man,no biggie!
    Strictly Business

Banned

I have 5 days left and wanted to drop by and say thanks for the support and also to thank you for being a motivating factor in my everyday training!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast