Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 10 of 136 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Q and A with Layne Norton

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strikerrjones View Post
    So if somebody's protein intake consisted solely of whey isolate, would their body respond differently at all than if they had a variety of protein sources?
    i kind of doubt it. other than it would suck just drinking all your meals. but physiologically, i doubt it
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by renos View Post
    Hey Layne..First off i would like to say i am a fan of yours and i like reading your articles and learning...i have never really seen an article on multi vit. Have you ever done any studies or read any studies on absorption rates of the different brands...i guess i am basically asking you what multi you think is the best out there and what one to you prefer to take if you do take one? thanks
    you need enough protein to optimize anabolic signaling. I will have an article about this coming out in next months MD i believe
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by renos View Post
    Hey Layne..First off i would like to say i am a fan of yours and i like reading your articles and learning...i have never really seen an article on multi vit. Have you ever done any studies or read any studies on absorption rates of the different brands...i guess i am basically asking you what multi you think is the best out there and what one to you prefer to take if you do take one? thanks
    no because i know of no one that has done any of those studies
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by 100%Natural View Post
    Hey Layne, just wondering what your opinion on HIT or DoggCrapp training is for natural guys?
    HIT is garbage *braces for impact*

DC training has some good elements but what I do not like about it is that it focuses solely on strength increases (as well as some rep increases) as a means of increasing overload and does not take advantage of periodization (other than the 'cruise' periods which are not exactly ingrained in the routine from my understanding) or changes in volume as a means of increasing overload
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by BigFeitz View Post
    layne i have been a huge fan. and i used your way dieting as a launch point for me. now at 235lbs i was using aboit 300g pro 80-90g fat and about 500g carbs. it was about 4000cal but i wasnt making any gains so i am looking to bump it up to about 4500cal but i dont know where i should add from, any suggestions. because all my nutrition classes say to much pro is bad.
    you have plenty of protein; add carbs & fat
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    Hey Layne if you could only train 3 days a week how would u train/split your routine?
    day 1: lower body

day 2: rest

day 3: upper body

day 4: rest

day 5: lower body

day 6 & 7: rest

but that's just me since lower body is my biggest weakness
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by bigZnat View Post
    Sup Layne,
    When's the target finish for the Phd???
    Also, I was checking out SciVation's whey protein on bb.com and I notice there is not much info on amino profile and such, especially when comparing it to other brands. I really want to buy the 10lb'r for $65 because that's such a great deal, but I'd like some more info on my purchase. Just seeing if you knew what was up with that?
    Thanks bro. Peace!
    it's no different really than any other whey. plenty of good stuff

I graduate in may with my PhD assuming nothing catastrophic happens between now and then
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph_Pohan View Post
    yeah bro! i just want a clarifications from you one more time, that keeping it all the same would yield greater result rather than doing something weird in the final week...anyway your writing is excellent, why don't you make a book about those myth and nonsense about peaking in the final week?!
    yea bro.. that's why i spend 3 months of column space writing about not to make any drastic changes LOL. what do you want me to beat you over the head with it LOL?

i do plan to write a book at some point; probably multiple books
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by nbtweenstage View Post
    I just read your article about "natural" athletes. I have my first show coming up in about 14 weeks and for the "natural" athlete as the way you applied it to yourself, are there any ways to guilt free snack during the day? Especially on low carb days? I am on 1/4th cup off oats in the morning then 4 oz sweet potatoes and thats it for the day. I dont really get cravings but i just miss having a filler in between meals. I think not having this filler makes my meal cadence get out of whack as well.
    meal 1 - 6-630 am
    meal 2 - 930 am
    meal 3 - 1230 shake
    meal 4 - 130
    meal 5 - 330
    meal 6 - 7-8
    meal 7 - 9-930
    thanks for your help.
    not sure what you mean. i guess diet soda is guilt free because it doesn't have calories.

but i'm not exactly sure what your question means. it's not clear
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Layne what is your take on myo-t12? Are you going to try it? You you think it would be a good supp for the natties?
    no idea what the hell that is, but my BS sensor is certainly tingling
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by Bouldershoulder View Post
    hey layne how is it going? i was wondering if you can help me... see when i was 12 i had surgery on my left elbow and so far it hasnt really shown any problems. im a natural bodybuilder and i got my arms up to a little over 17" but now it seems to have hit an stand still. do you have any suggestions on how to possibly get the growth going again. thanks

yea. change it up and do something different than you are doing now.

i mean you guys cannot ask such general questions and expect specific targeted answers

rule of thumb, general question gets a general answer

specific question gets a specific answer
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by me4ka86 View Post
    Hi Layne,

i have 2 questions.

1. what is your opinion on estrogen and fat loss?
    2. how can one improve/increase 1)the mitochondrial density/oxidative capacity in the muscles and 2) beta-receptor density ?

thanks
    1. don't know enough about estrogen to really comment on that; but in general you certainly don't want it too high

2) you can increase mitochondrial density through high intensity cardio

not sure about beta receptor density
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by 2-Swole View Post
    Layne

Just got finished watching your dvd and was listening to the part where you talk about your diet and was thinking....

As someone who keeps a constant P/F/C rotation diet how often would you suggest throwing in a cheat meal OR just switching in a meal with Say a different more fatty meat rather than my typical chicken, eggs, etc.?

I tend to get into the strict dieting regimen and it is VERY hard for me to switch things up EVER even though i have learned it is suppose to be very beneficial to do so every so often

thanks for your thoughts bro
    i don't recommend cheat meals. I recommend targeted increases in specific nutrients with specific targets in mind but i do not recommend un monitored cheats.
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Banned

Decide on a show yet for this year?

layne, what do you think of wendler 5/3/1 training ?

i forgot to ask this

what do you think of this study ?

"Ingested protein dose response of muscle and albumin protein synthesis after resistance exercise in young men"

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/89/1/161

saying that 20g of protein for people with a mean weight of 86.1kg is sufficient to maximaly stimulate protein synthesis after resistance training

they say it's probably best to eat 20g of protein 5-6 times a day.

This is what i did before i started to take bcaa's in between meals after i read your study

well actually the 40g dose did increase protein synthesis 11% more than the 20g dose; it just wasn't statistically significant. If you pumped up the # of subjects in that study you might have gotten it to be significantly different and then it's a whole different ballgame. Also, that study was done post workout when you are MORE sensitive to the anabolic effects of protein, so extrapolating this out to ALL meals of the day is a stretch. maybe 20g maximally stimulates post workout but what about other meals? Our data suggests it may take 30-40g in adults.

It's a really good study and I like Dr. Phillips a lot, but it is hardly the final word on the subject
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Page 10 of 136 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast