Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 11 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Q and A with Layne Norton

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paraman View Post
    layne, what do you think of wendler 5/3/1 training ?
    good, but i still prefer training everything 2x/week
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by KurtyJ99 View Post
    Decide on a show yet for this year?
    I have an idea, but not announcing it til the date gets closer
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by str8flexed View Post
    well actually the 40g dose did increase protein synthesis 11% more than the 20g dose; it just wasn't statistically significant. If you pumped up the # of subjects in that study you might have gotten it to be significantly different and then it's a whole different ballgame. Also, that study was done post workout when you are MORE sensitive to the anabolic effects of protein, so extrapolating this out to ALL meals of the day is a stretch. maybe 20g maximally stimulates post workout but what about other meals? Our data suggests it may take 30-40g in adults.

It's a really good study and I like Dr. Phillips a lot, but it is hardly the final word on the subject
    this was another study:

A moderate serving of high-quality protein maximally stimulates skeletal muscle protein synthesis in young and elderly subjects.

in this study, when young and elderly volunteers were given 30 or 90g of dietary protein in a single meal, the 30g dose maximally stimulated muscle protein synthesis.

but i understand what you are saying

but what i don't understand is how you can keep your protein intake relative low in comparison with your bodymass and still get enough leucine from a meal?

in your presentation that i've read, you said that 0.045g of leucine is needed in a meal to maximaly stimulate protein synthesis

if i take beef as my protein source , i need more than if i would drink a whey shake

but i also eat wheat protein or rice protein (with my whey or beef protein), which have a lower leucine content and thereby my total intake of protein is higher to reach enough leucine and my total intake for the day would be more than 1g/lb of BW

i eat 5 meals and i have a bcaa solution in between my meals and pre en post workout which i also count for my daily protein intake

i'm sorry for my bad english :d

well the thing is too, it's likely the average weight of these subjects is around 160 lbs. 30g X 5 meals per day = 150g protien per day. That's really not that far off.

and our research suggests 0.045g leucine per lb bodyweight will max muscle protein synthesis, but it may be less than that; we just know that amount will max it.

-Layne
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

well the thing is too, it's likely the average weight of these subjects is around 160 lbs. 30g X 5 meals per day = 150g protien per day. That's really not that far off.

and our research suggests 0.045g leucine per lb bodyweight will max muscle protein synthesis, but it may be less than that; we just know that amount will max it.

-Layne

i will continue to follow your research

for the moment i will follow the general guidelines from your last studie that was published

http://www.slideshare.net/biolayne/o...nd-muscle-mass

thanx for the quick answers

btw, if you find some time to answers this last questions ?

how many ALA and carnitine tartrate do you take and when?

and what do you think of supplementing with vitamine D to reach optimal bloodlevels ?

L. Norton,

What's your deadlifting routine? How does it change?

I have a friend who is 40, natural and has good foundation, 5'9" 210lbs. @ 16%bf. He wants to enter a show in June. Would his precontest/dietary needs be different due to his age? Have you addressed this in your thread? I did a search and didn't find anything specific for 40's. I know you rec. 2x weekly bodypart work, even for this age? He currently does 1x week, old school. Thanks.

thought you guys might find this interesting. I know you've heard more and more people say to eat solid food instead of shakes because solid food has a greater effect on thermogenesis. Well actually the research suggests that liquifying meals actually induces a GREATER thermogenic response, not a smaller one.

Br J Nutr. 2000 Jun;83(6):623-8.
    The physical state of a meal affects hormone release and postprandial thermogenesis.

Peracchi M, Santangelo A, Conte D, Fraquelli M, Tagliabue R, Gebbia C, Porrini M.

Department of Gastroenterology, University of Milan, Ospedale Maggiore-IRCCS, Italy. gastrbia@imiucca.csi.unimi.it

There is evidence that food consistency may influence postprandial physiological responses. Recently we found that homogenization of a vegetable-rich meal significantly delayed the gastric emptying rate and was more satiating than the same meal in solid-liquid form. In this present study we investigated whether homogenization also influences endocrine and metabolic responses to the meal. Eight healthy men, aged 21-28 (mean 24.5) years, were given the meal (cooked vegetables 250 g, cheese 35 g, croutons 50 g and olive oil 25 g, with water 300 ml; total energy 2.6 MJ) in both solid-liquid (SM) and homogenized (HM) form, in random order, at 1-week intervals. Variables assayed were plasma glucose, insulin and glucose-dependent insulinotropic peptide (GIP) levels for 2 h and diet-induced thermogenesis (DIT) for 5 h. Plasma glucose pattern was similar after both meals. However, HM induced significantly greater insulin, GIP and DIT responses than SM. Mean integrated areas under the curves (AUC) were 1.7 (SEM 0.38) v. 1.2 (SEM 0.33) U/l per 120 min (P = 0.005) for insulin, 19.9 (SEM 2.44) v. 16 (SEM 1.92) nmol/l per 120 min (P = 0.042) for GIP, and 237.7 (SEM 16.32) v. 126.4 (SEM 23.48) kJ/300 min (P = 0.0029) for DIT respectively. Differences between GIP-AUC after HM and SM correlated significantly with differences between insulin-AUC after HM and SM (r2 0.62, P = 0.021). These findings demonstrate that homogenization of a meal results in a coordinated series of changes of physiological gastroentero-pancreatic functions and confirm that the physical state of the meal plays an important role in modulating endocrine and metabolic responses to food.

there is a lot of wordiness in there but basically the results show that when they took a solid meal and liquefied it, it actually produced a greater DIT (diet induced thermogenesis) than the solid meal.

This is why we do actual research and don't just rely on brotelligence
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

thought you guys might find this interesting. I know you've heard more and more people say to eat solid food instead of shakes because solid food has a greater effect on thermogenesis. Well actually the research suggests that liquifying meals actually induces a GREATER thermogenic response, not a smaller one.

The physical state of a meal affects hormone release and postprandial thermogenesis.

Peracchi M, Santangelo A, Conte D, Fraquelli M, Tagliabue R, Gebbia C, Porrini M.

Department of Gastroenterology, University of Milan, Ospedale Maggiore-IRCCS, Italy. gastrbia@imiucca.csi.unimi.it

There is evidence that food consistency may influence postprandial physiological responses. Recently we found that homogenization of a vegetable-rich meal significantly delayed the gastric emptying rate and was more satiating than the same meal in solid-liquid form. In this present study we investigated whether homogenization also influences endocrine and metabolic responses to the meal. Eight healthy men, aged 21-28 (mean 24.5) years, were given the meal (cooked vegetables 250 g, cheese 35 g, croutons 50 g and olive oil 25 g, with water 300 ml; total energy 2.6 MJ) in both solid-liquid (SM) and homogenized (HM) form, in random order, at 1-week intervals. Variables assayed were plasma glucose, insulin and glucose-dependent insulinotropic peptide (GIP) levels for 2 h and diet-induced thermogenesis (DIT) for 5 h. Plasma glucose pattern was similar after both meals. However, HM induced significantly greater insulin, GIP and DIT responses than SM. Mean integrated areas under the curves (AUC) were 1.7 (SEM 0.38) v. 1.2 (SEM 0.33) U/l per 120 min (P = 0.005) for insulin, 19.9 (SEM 2.44) v. 16 (SEM 1.92) nmol/l per 120 min (P = 0.042) for GIP, and 237.7 (SEM 16.32) v. 126.4 (SEM 23.48) kJ/300 min (P = 0.0029) for DIT respectively. Differences between GIP-AUC after HM and SM correlated significantly with differences between insulin-AUC after HM and SM (r2 0.62, P = 0.021). These findings demonstrate that homogenization of a meal results in a coordinated series of changes of physiological gastroentero-pancreatic functions and confirm that the physical state of the meal plays an important role in modulating endocrine and metabolic responses to food.

there is a lot of wordiness in there but basically the results show that when they took a solid meal and liquefied it, it actually produced a greater DIT (diet induced thermogenesis) than the solid meal.

This is excellent!

Hi Layne,

I've read that Micro Ultra Filtered Whey Concentrate and Ion Exchange Whey Protein Isolate are not the most effective types of protein. Is this true?

If You don't have an allergy to whey concentrate there is no reason wpc would not be as good as anything
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

some one should tell Hany this.

why's that?
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

He cuts shakes out at 12 weeks, he thinks they give a softer look to the muscle yet guys like Victor take 2 a day and still look good, im a fan of Hany dont get me wrong but i disagree with him on the shake thing.

Check your pm.

oh, that's interesting. just wait, i'm sure people will try to turn this into a me vs. Hany thing LOL
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Spotter

Interesting study, i love all your info Layne

Page 11 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast