Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 136 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Q and A with Layne Norton

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar

the overall most important thing is to hit your macros and get enough fiber in. Fiber is really the important content of the carb sources. GI only really matters if you eat carbs without protein or fat and very few bodybuilders do that. So fiber is really what you want to get because fiber is very thermogenic. That said, most low gi sources are the most fiber dense so you'll eat alot by default BUT there isn't anything wrong with having a non-traditional food so long as you hit your macro & fiber goals
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Layne,

what are your plans now? When is your next show?

What is your current training split?

Thanks!

Hi Layne,

how many pounds of muscle can one regain(i mean muscle that one had in the past, to regain through muscle memory - not building muscle that has not been there) in 5 weeks given that diet, training and super supplementation is all set perfectly? thanks

LAYNE,
    first off, your training/knowledge ethic is outstanding and is really good to see an academic who first hand experiences what his learning and applies himself.
    i have a couple of questions for you, some may have already been answered, may sound simple and stupid and i pretty much already know the answer but just wanna make sure i aint leaving anything out:

1) what do you believe are the most important supplements to use (not for any particular sense, but as they are termed supplements, what do you find are the best basic supplements on top of a healthy bodybuilding type diet) and what if its not too annoying, what times during the day including pre/post workout are best to have?

2) i agree with your view on shakes/whole foods but do you believe that having too many shakes can irritate the GI and do you find that fibre supplements are any good on top of healthy diet or you should just get fibre out of natural fibre rich foods?

3) i find myself to have a stronger than average power to weight ratio as yourself, did you find lifting heavier weights were your main staple to build muscle or are you a fan of periodisation rather than continuing to pyramid heavier and heavier?

i know these questions may seem silly or whatever, but your input would be highly ackowledged. the first question i know people have asked little questions about supplements etc but if u had one dense answer i think it would help alot.

Thanks

hey layne. on you last colume on MD you spoke about water in regarding to contest prep. if one has dieted to a low enough bodyfat and continues to consume water on a regular basis. form what i understend from the colume is there is no need to cut water what so ever just keep drinking normally is that right?

Hey Layne-thanks for taking the time to answer all of our questions. I was wondering what your thoughts were on this elbow pain im experiencing in my medial epocondyle area/joint in my elbow. I'm thinking it came from using a hook grip while deadlifting coupled with the fact that on that arm I had a minor distal bicep rupture. An injury that I attribute to some loss of elbow stability. Anyways I'm working on rehabbing it now but could it be from not locking my elbows out while deadlifting? Have you ever experienced anything similar while using the hook grip in your earlier days?

Look forward to acquiring a ton of knowledge from this thread! I am sure you got sick of me picking your brain at the Arnold last year.

Look forward to running into you at the booth again this year Layne, and hopefully another workout with you and Tommy.

Quote Originally Posted by bjo12 View Post
    Layne,

what are your plans now? When is your next show?

What is your current training split?

Thanks!
    next show will be sometime in late summer or early fall

right now my split is 4 days since i am writing my thesis and time is at a premium

day 1: upper body (power)
    day 2: lower body (power)
    day 3: rest
    day 4: rest
    day 5: upper body (speed/hypertrophy)
    day 6: lower body (speed/hypertrophy)
    day 7: rest
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by me4ka86 View Post
    Hi Layne,

how many pounds of muscle can one regain(i mean muscle that one had in the past, to regain through muscle memory - not building muscle that has not been there) in 5 weeks given that diet, training and super supplementation is all set perfectly? thanks
    depends on a lot of factors. how much did you lose? why did you lose it? how quickly did you lose it?

it's not that simple of a question
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by tommo View Post
    LAYNE,
    first off, your training/knowledge ethic is outstanding and is really good to see an academic who first hand experiences what his learning and applies himself.
    i have a couple of questions for you, some may have already been answered, may sound simple and stupid and i pretty much already know the answer but just wanna make sure i aint leaving anything out:

1) what do you believe are the most important supplements to use (not for any particular sense, but as they are termed supplements, what do you find are the best basic supplements on top of a healthy bodybuilding type diet) and what if its not too annoying, what times during the day including pre/post workout are best to have?

2) i agree with your view on shakes/whole foods but do you believe that having too many shakes can irritate the GI and do you find that fibre supplements are any good on top of healthy diet or you should just get fibre out of natural fibre rich foods?

3) i find myself to have a stronger than average power to weight ratio as yourself, did you find lifting heavier weights were your main staple to build muscle or are you a fan of periodisation rather than continuing to pyramid heavier and heavier?

i know these questions may seem silly or whatever, but your input would be highly ackowledged. the first question i know people have asked little questions about supplements etc but if u had one dense answer i think it would help alot.

Thanks
    1) the following supps have research to support their use and are supps I personally use
    -bcaa (from xtend)
    -creatine monohydrate (do not waste your money on ANYTHING else regardless of what bullshit propaganda they put out there)
    -beta-alanine
    -citrulline malate (get it from xtend as well)
    -lipoic acid
    -fish oil
    -sesamin
    -betaine hcl
    -carnitine tartrate
    -glucosamine & chondroitin
    -multivitamin

2) if you get enough fiber from food there are no need for supplements. More is not better, better is better. this is the problem with bodybuilding as a whole and some of these 'gurus' they only think linearly. If a little bit of something is good then a whole shitload must be great. Not true. Too much fiber can cause impaired nutrient absorption (ie iron) and can itself irritate the GI if it's too high

3) i think non-linear undulating periodization is the most proven form of training out there and almost all forms of training I do are some form of it
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by str8flexed View Post
    1) the following supps have research to support their use and are supps I personally use
    -bcaa (from xtend)
    -creatine monohydrate (do not waste your money on ANYTHING else regardless of what bullshit propaganda they put out there)
    -beta-alanine
    -citrulline malate (get it from xtend as well)
    -lipoic acid
    -fish oil
    -sesamin
    -betaine hcl
    -carnitine tartrate
    -glucosamine & chondroitin
    -multivitamin

2) if you get enough fiber from food there are no need for supplements. More is not better, better is better. this is the problem with bodybuilding as a whole and some of these 'gurus' they only think linearly. If a little bit of something is good then a whole shitload must be great. Not true. Too much fiber can cause impaired nutrient absorption (ie iron) and can itself irritate the GI if it's too high

3) i think non-linear undulating periodization is the most proven form of training out there and almost all forms of training I do are some form of it
    what about creatine ethyl ester?

Banned

Layne, question on how steroids work just in general.

When we work out naturally our bodies collect glycogen and protein correct?
    (As long as there is significant workout)

But when anyone uses steroids, it just improves the cells that we already have, and thus our bodies can store much more glycogen and protein yes?

Layne,

I was wondering if you could help me with a problem i have. My left leg is bigger than my right leg by 3/4in. Its mostly that my left leg teardrop is more fuller than my right leg. What should i do to bring up my right leg to my left evenly. Such as types of exercises to do and/or training style to do
    Is this something to worry about or is imbalances like this normal?

Thanks Layne

thanks heaps layne, once again just wanted to cement what i pretty much knew, and i fully agree on the creatine monohydrate that other shit is absolute HYPE!!!! ur the man, good luck in ur meet.

Layne how do you think you'd match up against other nattys like jim cordova, dave goodin, skip la cour ?

layne how long does it take for you to make a diet for someone ( non-competition) just for bodybuilding purposes( lean mass)????

Default Frequency and Bodyparts

Hi Layne

Just got a question on training frequency that is buggin me. I have NEVER and I mean NEVER grown much at all off the 'train each bodypart 1x week'

Over the years I began experimenting in the gym more, then discovering 3-4 days after training a body part it would regress very quickly if not trained again - this explained why I never grew much off the 1x a week frequency. (I now train each bp 2x week)

So after all this I began reading more into frequency.....

After reading I found out that 48 hours after training a body part Protein Synthesis returns back to baseline, OK well this makes sense to me especially as I never grew much when training each muscle 1x week.

What confuses me is there are a lot of natural guys training each muscle 1x week how come they grow and don't regress like I do?

I wondered is it because Protein Synthesis is maintained for longer than 48 hours ?

Or is their muscle atrophy rate slower than mine? (I mean the rate at which the body senses that it doesn't need the extra muscle)

Cheers

John

Page 2 of 136 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast