Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 136 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Q and A with Layne Norton

Hey Layne,

A bit of a weird question but how do you handle - Training, Grad. School to obtain your PhD Degree, Girlfriend, Work? and Computer-time.

I honestly must say I love my computer and I feel like MD and various other sites are a "book" that I must keep reading to understand more or such. Would you say that for someone who is looking to succeed to reach the top-level of the sport, shall I be worrying about reading the boards, articles and such. I'm sure all the top IFBB Pros don't use the computer often since they are busy preparing their meals, training and resting.
    If this makes any sense.

Back to the first question - It seems quite impossible for me to handle Work and School. Don't you think so? Because you have days when you have 3 exams all in one day and how would you feel stuck at work until 9PM and you go home and eat your meal until 10PM and 10PM-4AM you got to be killing your sleeping time.

Thanks!
    Good luck!

Layne, Alan Aragon and you have mutual respect for each other and basically I go back and forth between you two gentlemen in regards to supplement recommendations. Alan doesn't believe in free form bcaa intake if you are already consuming a high protein diet and using protein powders. Is your bcaa protocol (between meals, pre/during/post workout) something you just recommend for competitive bodybuilders who are in a pre contest phase when calories are lower? Or recreational lifters and fitness enthusiasts alike, not taking into consideration if they are dieting for fat loss, or bulking?

Thanks Layne!

In regards to the supplements you said are legit, when and how much lipoic acid do you use (you are talking about the gda r-ala right?), and when would you use betaine hcl. I have been using some digestive enzymes for a while and noticed they do seem to help with teh eating aspect (no apetite lol). I have heard using hcl products can cause you to become reliant on them (BS??).

Also, I am adding xtend to my workouts now so since I only weigh 124 then 2 scoops during my workout would be good right?

Recently I lowered my protein to around 160 (1.5 times lbm), decreased fat to around 55-60, and increased carbs from 2g/lb to around 330. How high do you take carbs before you start adding in more fat or protein (if you ever do besides as lbm increases)

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Northman69 View Post
    Layne, question on how steroids work just in general.

When we work out naturally our bodies collect glycogen and protein correct?
    (As long as there is significant workout)

But when anyone uses steroids, it just improves the cells that we already have, and thus our bodies can store much more glycogen and protein yes?

it's more involved than that. steroids work by increasing the capacity for muscle growth. For example, in order to grow more muscle you have to synthesize more muscle protein. There are 2 different parts needed for protein synthesis, transcription of DNA to create an mRNA and then translation of the mRNA to protein chain.

So most protein synthesis in the body is controlled on the translation level (this is how amino acids activated protein synthesis by increasing the rate of translation). But steroids actually act as transcription factors, attaching to certain genes (including those that code for muscle growth) and increase the rate of transcription. This increases the # of mRNA transcripts and thus increases the potential for overall muscle growth.
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Beach Body

Hey Layne
    I just saw the new series on bb.com on your power lifting. do you do a typical powerlifting routine or do you more of a power building with a mix of bbing and power lifting movements?

How is wife doing? any shows is her future?

thanks

Jeff I do a blend of westside barbell training with my power hypertrophy adaptive training. It is a mix of both
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by moreps View Post
    Layne, Alan Aragon and you have mutual respect for each other and basically I go back and forth between you two gentlemen in regards to supplement recommendations. Alan doesn't believe in free form bcaa intake if you are already consuming a high protein diet and using protein powders. Is your bcaa protocol (between meals, pre/during/post workout) something you just recommend for competitive bodybuilders who are in a pre contest phase when calories are lower? Or recreational lifters and fitness enthusiasts alike, not taking into consideration if they are dieting for fat loss, or bulking?

Thanks Layne!

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/prote..._frequency.pdf
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Thank you very much. I am going the protein powder/whole food route this year for my contest season, instead of taking in free form bcaa's or leucine pre, during, post w/o, between meals, etc. Should be interesting comparing both protocols.

Thanks again, Layne.

Default Biceps

Hey Lane,

Ive been wanting some advice on something thats been bothering me for a long time now. I have a strength imbalance between my left and right bicep. Its not so much size anymore, its just that say for instance I do Single arm DB curls, and i get 40's x 8 right arm (failure last rep), By the time i get to 8 on my left, which is stronger, i could easily still get another 4-5 reps. Im not so sure how to fix this...I stopped using straps on back training, and I just match whatever # of reps i do on my right with my left, so it wont get any stronger than it already is....Help please? this problem is really annoying.

whats your thoughts on fruit?

thanks layne
    "Leg Day Is Business"
    Layne Norton

Default betaine hc

Hey Layne i noticed you listed betaine hcl (being a digestive aid?) as one of your recommended supplements. How do you take this and with what doses?

Also what purpose do you use Carnitine Tartrate for, fat burning effect?

Hey Layne,

do you think a diet very low in carbs and high in protein and healthy fats is healthy in the long term(following year round with weekly carb refeeds for example). I am not asking for optimal results or growth, just if its gonna be healthy or not? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tylerrc55 View Post
    Hey Lane,

Ive been wanting some advice on something thats been bothering me for a long time now. I have a strength imbalance between my left and right bicep. Its not so much size anymore, its just that say for instance I do Single arm DB curls, and i get 40's x 8 right arm (failure last rep), By the time i get to 8 on my left, which is stronger, i could easily still get another 4-5 reps. Im not so sure how to fix this...I stopped using straps on back training, and I just match whatever # of reps i do on my right with my left, so it wont get any stronger than it already is....Help please? this problem is really annoying.
    are you sure you don't have a nerve problem?
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by gainmusclefast View Post
    whats your thoughts on fruit?

thanks layne
    perfectly fine in moderation. people make a big deal out of the fact that fructose can only be stored as glycogen in the liver. That's true... but then the liver can release that glycogen as glucose and it can be picked up by muscle tissue. so the idea that it will only go to liver is a bit misguided
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by mrfitness81 View Post
    Hey Layne i noticed you listed betaine hcl (being a digestive aid?) as one of your recommended supplements. How do you take this and with what doses?

Also what purpose do you use Carnitine Tartrate for, fat burning effect?
    i take 3g/day with breafkast, lunch, dinner

carnitine tartrate has been demonstrated to increase androgen receptor density. it doesn't affect your anabolic hormones but theoretically makes you more sensitive to them
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by me4ka86 View Post
    Hey Layne,

do you think a diet very low in carbs and high in protein and healthy fats is healthy in the long term(following year round with weekly carb refeeds for example). I am not asking for optimal results or growth, just if its gonna be healthy or not? thanks
    well that's a really general question. how low in carbs are we talking? how high in fat? what level of fat?
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

well carbs less than 40-50 a day, about 100g a fat a day and i am 9-10% bf

Page 3 of 136 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast