Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 136 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Q and A with Layne Norton

What do you mean a nerve problem? There is no pain or anything...Can you explain a little more please? Thanks Layne.

Hi Layne

Just got a question on training frequency that is buggin me. I have NEVER and I mean NEVER grown much at all off the 'train each bodypart 1x week'

Over the years I began experimenting in the gym more, then discovering 3-4 days after training a body part it would regress very quickly if not trained again - this explained why I never grew much off the 1x a week frequency. (I now train each bp 2x week)

So after all this I began reading more into frequency.....

After reading I found out that 48 hours after training a body part Protein Synthesis returns back to baseline, OK well this makes sense to me especially as I never grew much when training each muscle 1x week.

1) What confuses me is there are a lot of natural guys training each muscle 1x week how come they grow and don't regress like I do?

2) I wondered is it because Protein Synthesis is maintained for longer than 48 hours ?

3) Or is their muscle atrophy rate slower than mine? (I mean the rate at which the body senses that it doesn't need the extra muscle)

4) Is there any evidence that has ever showed that a bodypart needs a week to recover ?

Thanks

John

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar

John,
    quite simply, they probably have better genetics than you and so they can get away with it.

remember, many people get results IN SPITE of what they do, not because what they do is optimal
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by tylerrc55 View Post
    What do you mean a nerve problem? There is no pain or anything...Can you explain a little more please? Thanks Layne.
    well a nerve problem or bulging disc would easily explain why one side is weaker than the other
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by me4ka86 View Post
    well carbs less than 40-50 a day, about 100g a fat a day and i am 9-10% bf
    how long do you plan to follow this?
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by str8flexed View Post
    John,
    quite simply, they probably have better genetics than you and so they can get away with it.

remember, many people get results IN SPITE of what they do, not because what they do is optimal
    Yeh that makes a sence layne, do u think training a bodypart every 48 hours is excessive ?

Thanks

John

Hey Layne when begining contest prep what macro intake do you recomend - ie 2g of protein per pound of LMM? Do you cycle carb intake? What do you think of the use of carb powders such as maltodextrin around training? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Hey Layne when begining contest prep what macro intake do you recomend - ie 2g of protein per pound of LMM? Do you cycle carb intake? What do you think of the use of carb powders such as maltodextrin around training? Thanks
    i would suggest reading more of my posts around here and that will give you a better idea of where I am coming from... There is no one macronutrient intake I recommend for everyone. Everyone is different. If you try to apply the same cookie cutter recommendations to everyone it will fail
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

i take 3g/day with breafkast, lunch, dinner

carnitine tartrate has been demonstrated to increase androgen receptor density. it doesn't affect your anabolic hormones but theoretically makes you more sensitive to them
    Cheers for that Layne.

One more question for you- I was recently listening to a radio interview where it was stated that Leucine Malate (nano-sized Alpha hydroxy leucine) was superior in absorption to compared to regular Leucine. If this the case and is it worth investing in the Malate form of BCCA's as opposed to the regular form?

how long do you plan to follow this?
    250 pro, 40-50 carbs, 100g fat year round with refeed on sundays

Quote Originally Posted by mrfitness81 View Post
    Cheers for that Layne.

One more question for you- I was recently listening to a radio interview where it was stated that Leucine Malate (nano-sized Alpha hydroxy leucine) was superior in absorption to compared to regular Leucine. If this the case and is it worth investing in the Malate form of BCCA's as opposed to the regular form?
    i can assure you i never said that
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by me4ka86 View Post
    250 pro, 40-50 carbs, 100g fat year round with refeed on sundays
    sure that would be fine, so long as you don't go off it and binge on 500g of carbs too often lol
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

i can assure you i never said that
    Yes i know you didn't state that Layne, it was actually an interview with Author L. Rea. I was wondering what your opinion was on it since Leucine is your thing?

Layne how much cardio would you start off with if you didnt wnt to drop weight to fast?? ive heard to just start at 10mins am and pm and build up gradually, im thinking of trying that.

Quote Originally Posted by speed kills View Post
    Layne how much cardio would you start off with if you didnt wnt to drop weight to fast?? ive heard to just start at 10mins am and pm and build up gradually, im thinking of trying that.
    lol, you guys aren't really getting the theme are you?

IT DEPENDS ON THE INDIVIDUAL!!!! Some people can do zero cardio and get completely shredded. Others need quite a bit. I know nothing about you so it's impossible for me to make that determination. I will say though that anything less than 20 minutes might not be real useful if you are talking about moderate intensity steady state. It seems that at 20-30 minutes is when fatty acid lipolysis peaks
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by mrfitness81 View Post
    Yes i know you didn't state that Layne, it was actually an interview with Author L. Rea. I was wondering what your opinion was on it since Leucine is your thing?
    well i would disagree with it since leucine is damn near 100% absorbable already
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Sup Layne,
    So I just got done reading your artical in the January issue of MD and a question arised in my mind. I'm about six and a walf weeks into a contest prep and from day one I eliminated sodium. I was never one to use it in a great quantity before starting the prep, so I didn't really see it as a big deal if I eliminated it all together. I have read that one should just be consistent with their sodium intake throughout a prep, high or low. What are your thoughts? I'm not talking about any final week stuff here, but do you think it would be OPTIMAL for me to use some sea salt on a few things or just keep doing what I'm doing??? And for the record I have been gradually coming down week by week and am making good progress, so everything seems to be going according to plan for me.

Thanks for your time brother, always appreciated

Page 4 of 136 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast