Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 136 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Q and A with Layne Norton

Hey Layne I would really appreciate some deadlift advice. I mainly lift for bodybuilding, but I like to go real heavy on deadlifts.. lower reps and more powerlifting style I guess you could say. The most I've done was 525, and as of recent 515 for two.

I did them this morning and did 455 before I would try anything in the 500's and got 6 reps. I felt strong and tried 540.. but barely got it off the ground and it just was stuck. Usually I go 225 x 6, 315 x 6-8, 405 x 4-6, depending on how I'm doing so far I might jump into something like 455-500. Then I drop back down to 405 for another 4-6. The thing I notice is on the 540 I had very little explosion at the bottom. What can I change or work on to get my deadlift up?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by str8flexed View Post
    lol, you guys aren't really getting the theme are you?

IT DEPENDS ON THE INDIVIDUAL!!!! Some people can do zero cardio and get completely shredded. Others need quite a bit. I know nothing about you so it's impossible for me to make that determination. I will say though that anything less than 20 minutes might not be real useful if you are talking about moderate intensity steady state. It seems that at 20-30 minutes is when fatty acid lipolysis peaks
    Thanks Layne.

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigZnat View Post
    Sup Layne,
    So I just got done reading your artical in the January issue of MD and a question arised in my mind. I'm about six and a walf weeks into a contest prep and from day one I eliminated sodium. I was never one to use it in a great quantity before starting the prep, so I didn't really see it as a big deal if I eliminated it all together. I have read that one should just be consistent with their sodium intake throughout a prep, high or low. What are your thoughts? I'm not talking about any final week stuff here, but do you think it would be OPTIMAL for me to use some sea salt on a few things or just keep doing what I'm doing??? And for the record I have been gradually coming down week by week and am making good progress, so everything seems to be going according to plan for me.

Thanks for your time brother, always appreciated
    well it may affect your ability to fill out, however your body is conserving so much sodium at this point it's probably somewhat compensated for it. In future preps I would keep it in; but since you have already cut it out, I would just keep it that way
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by danb21 View Post
    Hey Layne I would really appreciate some deadlift advice. I mainly lift for bodybuilding, but I like to go real heavy on deadlifts.. lower reps and more powerlifting style I guess you could say. The most I've done was 525, and as of recent 515 for two.

I did them this morning and did 455 before I would try anything in the 500's and got 6 reps. I felt strong and tried 540.. but barely got it off the ground and it just was stuck. Usually I go 225 x 6, 315 x 6-8, 405 x 4-6, depending on how I'm doing so far I might jump into something like 455-500. Then I drop back down to 405 for another 4-6. The thing I notice is on the 540 I had very little explosion at the bottom. What can I change or work on to get my deadlift up?

Thanks in advance.
    try deficit deadlifts. Stand on a 3-4" platform

BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

layne do you include incomplete protein in your overall intake?
    when i put my foods into fitday.com they come up as protein..such as that from breads and oats..even though incomplete their still calories

Beach Body

Hey Layne
    in an earlier post you said that creatine mono was the best type of creatine out there. I was wondering, wants your view on these products that have many different types of creatijne. one product that I liked was storm by Uniersal Nutrition that has 4 different types of creatiine mix with some dextose.. A waste of money or worth taken? do you recommend bulk plain creatine mono?

thank you much

Quote Originally Posted by jayhawks View Post
    layne do you include incomplete protein in your overall intake?
    when i put my foods into fitday.com they come up as protein..such as that from breads and oats..even though incomplete their still calories
    yes of course. it still is protein, and it's only incomplete if that's the only protein source you eat because the other protein sources complete it.

entirely too much has been made of that issue
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Hi Layne, what you mentioned that you take Betaine 3x per day. What sort of dosage would you recommend?

Would this product work? - http://www.myprotein.co.uk/capsules-...cs/digestimax/

Thanks

Layne, Whats your final word on Meal Frequency?
    Being in college class and work get the best of me, and I usually end up with 2-3 meals tops in a day with some BCAA's or Uni-Liver tabs between meals (4-5 hours between meals). I am still getting my adequate kcals for mass gain, but just wanted to hear your 2 cents.

Layne - a nutrition related question. I have trouble with digesting carbs. The only exceptions seem to be oatmeal and sweet potato. My intake is limited to 100 - 150 grams -- early morning when I work out and early afternoon; no carbs after 2:00 pm. Do you think this approach is sufficient to spare the amino acids I consume from being converted to glucose? (A little more background: my metabolism is slow so I only consume about 2400 calories and still maintain a decent body weight.) Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Dedicated Noob

Layne

How do you know when you need to switch up (increase or decrease) macros?..once you have already established a baseline that is

thanks for the Awesome knowledge bro

2-Swole

Layne need your help, my friend says that taking test is the same as taking creatine, he says that since both are in the body allready how is taking one different than the other.I dont have an answer for that as he has got a point, how would you explain the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by LayzieBone085 View Post
    Layne, Whats your final word on Meal Frequency?
    Being in college class and work get the best of me, and I usually end up with 2-3 meals tops in a day with some BCAA's or Uni-Liver tabs between meals (4-5 hours between meals). I am still getting my adequate kcals for mass gain, but just wanted to hear your 2 cents.
    no final word yet. though we are starting to work up an experiment that should give us some more insight
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by speed kills View Post
    Layne need your help, my friend says that taking test is the same as taking creatine, he says that since both are in the body allready how is taking one different than the other.I dont have an answer for that as he has got a point, how would you explain the difference?
    and a Cannon and a paintball gun both shoot a projectile, so obviously they are the same
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by 2-Swole View Post
    Layne

How do you know when you need to switch up (increase or decrease) macros?..once you have already established a baseline that is

thanks for the Awesome knowledge bro

2-Swole
    not sure what your question is?
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by str8flexed View Post
    and a Cannon and a paintball gun both shoot a projectile, so obviously they are the same
    lmfao

A few non-bodybuilding nutrition questions that I need guidance on :

1. Do vegetables lose their nutritional value (vitimins & minerals) when you cook them?

2. Is it true that long term consumption of beef increases chances of colon cancer and heart disease?

3. Do you buy/advocate buying any particular foods organic?

Page 5 of 136 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast