Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 136 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Q and A with Layne Norton

Default Q and A with Layne Norton

BS in Biochemistry from Eckerd College with honors (>3.5 GPA) in 2004
    PhD candidate in Nutritional Science at University of Illinois, specializing in skeletal muscle protein metabolism
    Member of Scivation scientific advisory board
    IFPA & NGA natural pro bodybuilder

Bodybuilding career highlights
    2001 INBF Mid America Muscle Classic overall Teen champion
    2002 SNBF Tennessee menís open tall champion
    2004 ABA Mr. Indiana menís open overall champion
    2004 ABA Mr. Illinois menís open overall champion
    2006 OCB Spirit of America menís open heavyweight runner-up
    2006 OCB Great Lakes States menís open overall champion*
    2006 NGA Heart of America Natural Classic menís open overall champion*
    *denotes pro qualifier

Powerlifting accomplishments
    Set new APA Raw Deadlift records of 645 lbs in the 220 lb class at the 2009 APA Crush Cupid.
    Other Highlights
    -Appeared in Repetrope DVD ďPrime Cuts Volume 1Ē in 2004
    -2006 Los Alamos Bodybuilding Championships guest poser
    -Layne Norton Unleashed DVD
    Scientific Publications
    Norton LE and Layman DK. Leucine regulates translation initiation of protein synthesis in skeletal muscle after exercise. J Nutr. 2006; 136(2):533S-537S.

Norton, L.E., Layman, D.K., Garlick, P.J., Brana, D., Anthony, T.G., Zhao, L., Devkota, S. and Walker, D.A., (2007) Translational controls of skeletal muscle protein synthesis are delayed and prolonged associated with ingestion of a complete meal. 2007 Experimental Biology meeting abstracts [on CD-ROM], Abstract #694.6
    Norton LE, Layman DK, Garlick PJ et al. Isonitrogenous protein sources with different leucine contents differentially effect translation initiation and protein synthesis in skeletal muscle. FASEB J. 2008 (abstract).
    Optimal protein intake to maximize muscle protein synthesis: Examinations of optimal meal protein intake and frequency for maximizing muscle mass in athletes. Agro Food Ind. High-Tech. 2009 Mar/Apr;20(2):54-57.

Norton LE, Layman DK, Bunpo P, Anthony TG, Brana DV, Garlick PJ.The leucine content of a complete meal directs peak activation but not duration of skeletal muscle protein synthesis and Mammalian target of rapamycin signaling in rats. J Nutr. 2009 Jun;139(6):1103-9.

Author of MD COLUMN: NO JUICE BODYBUILDING

If you have a question for Layne about his articles or diet consultation...post them here...

Yeah Layne! been buying the MD issues consistently ever since your column started, glad to see you here man!!

you have a column in MD magazine?????? son of a bitch

I never see your pics in M.D. just two tiny ones. is it because your natural?

good to have you here Layne, Id be interested to see how you get on in the powerlifting meet against the top roided bodybuilders, kick all their ass and show natural lifting is where its at!

you missed the 700 lbs Deadlift Record

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukstrongman View Post
    good to have you here Layne, Id be interested to see how you get on in the powerlifting meet against the top roided bodybuilders, kick all their ass and show natural lifting is where its at!
    well thanks but that's not why I do it. There are plenty of other bodybuilders out there who are super strong as well. I have nothing against guys that use, but what bothers me is when people act like you can't train hardcore if you are natural. I'll put my training up against anyone's in terms of intensity
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by 2pacabs View Post
    I never see your pics in M.D. just two tiny ones. is it because your natural?
    well the other guys who have columns unless they are sponsored athletes don't get a bunch of pictures. I am not an MD athlete, I'm a columnist. So that's probably why no big pictures.

They use me for my brain... not my looks
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

hey, Layne : I would like to know, how does one even take the first step in becoming a natural bodybuilder? I'm 22 and I have been training for well over 7 years now, eating clean only for about a year (5'8" 205 lbs and pretty lean). I do train very instensely (you get ppl who accuse you of being on gear - I don't have any problem with ppl who do use in an educated manner), but I would just rather stay the way how I am - I would like to compete one day, I just haven't gotten over the mental hurdles and insecurties that come with the territory nor do I possess the know how to even begin.

are you wondering about how to find competitions near you? or the prep process in general?
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Congrats on your Q & A thread Layne!!

Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

the process in general - both the mental and the "stick-to-it-all" actions that come with it > sorry for the late reply, if possible I'll try and email you.

well i'm still not exactly sure what you want but what I can say probably the most important attribute in bodybuilding that no one talks about is patience. Especially in natural bodybuilding. Gains are going to be slow at times and sometimes feel like you are not going anywhere. You have to set short term obtainable goals to keep yourself motivated while never losing sight of your long term goals. I have a good general article on the dieting aspect of show prep http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm

I also recommend watching my video series http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/insidethelife.htm

also check out http://www.naturalbodybuildingevents.com for show dates.

Go to a few natural bodybuilding shows to watch and learn. It will be an invaluable experience if you intend to compete.

-Layne
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm

Yest it's a general article but it's one of the best

Layne what would you say is an ideal ratio of shakes to actual food meals when dieting? Everyone is on a whole food kick these days and I personally feel the concept is a bit over-hyped since I've made solid gains consuming about 1/2 of my daily protein from shakes mixed w oat's and oils.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mfarleypt View Post
    Layne what would you say is an ideal ratio of shakes to actual food meals when dieting? Everyone is on a whole food kick these days and I personally feel the concept is a bit over-hyped since I've made solid gains consuming about 1/2 of my daily protein from shakes mixed w oat's and oils.
    Thanks
    there is no ideal ratio. despite what broscientists think there is nothing wrong with shakes unless you have some sort of allergy to whey/lactose/etc. The idea is you spend more energy digesting whole foods but I have yet to see any data that shows whole foods on the whole have a significantly bigger impact on thermic effect of food than shakes. But for a second let's pretend they do just for arguments sake, even if that were the case, whey protein has been shown to be significantly more thermogenic than other proteins so at least in the case of whey, even if whole food took more energy to digest, whatever advantage whole food had in that aspect would be more than made up for by the fact that whey has such a big impact on thermogenesis.
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Default Carb Sources

Layne, How important are the carb sources (ie:complex, simple, fruit, whole, processed, etc.) one uses? Does it really matter, or is it mainly reaching the desired macros regardless of the source. I know some of the guys you prep use what would be considered unorthodox sources in most peoples opinions- Cheerios, Pringles, etc.-and they achieve amazing conditioning. Could you give us a brief rundown on your thoughts? Also, how important is simple VS. complex post workout, say rice cakes VS. oats?

Thanks
    " Sweat the details, it ALL matters"

Page 1 of 136 123456789101151101 ... LastLast