Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get or or Stay in?!?!?!?

vargasty

Default Get or or Stay in?!?!?!?

I have another 3.5 years left in the navy but I am contemplating whether or not to make this a career move? I will have 5 by the time my contract is up and would like to get out. However, I do see how hard it is in the civilian sector and wanted to know what my oppurtunities are like for a veteran. I have my AA and will have my Bachleor's Degree by the time I get out. The new gi bill also is $88,000 and will pay E-5 BAH as long as you are a full time student. My heart wants to get out but I'm also acknowledging the comfort of a guarenteed pension. I do miss being in complete control of my life. Any advice would be great....

V/R Vargasty

hidding in your couch underneath the cushions

stay in ........in the long run you will be better off...get that pention..
    CHECK OUT MY TRAINING LOG ! IN THE MEMBERS TRAINING JOURNALS

My vote is also for you to stay in. My son, also in the Navy, was confronted with the same choice last year, and decided to stay in. Now he's glad he did. Civilian life is not all its cracked up to be, especially in a tough recession.

vargasty

Thanks, both of you. My command now is known as the armpit of the Navy but atleast I will have one more command before I make my decission. I've been told overseas is best for MP's and if I like it, I will definitly stay in. I'm sure things will get better with rank but unfortunately my rate is very closed and I was lucky to pick up E-4 last March.

without a armpit the arm would fall off....................

vargasty

Quote Originally Posted by Elephantbattlezone View Post
    without a armpit the arm would fall off....................
    haha words of wisdom. Something tells me your on your way to Master Chief....

pics or REAL army acomidations..............when the oil field starts to smoke you put you mop gear on and leave it on untill it stops that may mean sleeping with your gass mask on !!!

stay here for 6 months hope the navy has it way better !!

this is where my sister was stationed !!! she is a cbrn also.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Elephantbattlezone; January 17th, 2010 at 01:09 PM.

The military is a security blanket; it provides for your needs by taking away some of your freedoms. If you're fine living with some retard that couldn't make it in the civilian world dictating what your life will be like, then by all means stay in. I made the decision to get the fuck out and go to college, and, while financially I'm worse off, I haven't been this happy since September 2004.
    It's not that I'm lazy; it's that I just don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikerrjones View Post
    The military is a security blanket; it provides for your needs by taking away some of your freedoms. If you're fine living with some retard that couldn't make it in the civilian world dictating what your life will be like, then by all means stay in. I made the decision to get the fuck out and go to college, and, while financially I'm worse off, I haven't been this happy since September 2004.

yes but if you had stayed in and went to collage by now you would be a high ranking officer and the one making the dictations.........and not the retard getting dictated...............prolly making BANK TOO officer pay is outrageous !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Strikerrjones View Post
    sadly i do have to agree with this. When i was in i had NCO's that had little or no experience telling me how to do my job. I did not appreciate this especially since i was one of the ONLY ones making our section operate so efficiently. Secondly IN MY OPINION the military severely limits you on possibilities as far as advancement. I mean yeah 88000 is great for school but unless you get out and USE it, it wont mean shit. when you are out you are going to get paid according to your potential, if you work hard and do what you have to do then you will succeed, if you get out and do nothing yes you will have a hard time.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephantbattlezone View Post
    yes but if you had stayed in and went to collage by now you would be a high ranking officer and the one making the dictations.........
    you will still have someone to answer to that is making the decisions up to and always including your commander in chief (and we know how their decisions are effecting us.) Pave your own way,

That is a tough call I struggle with staying reserves or going active. I personally think at a time like this staying in and waiting out the recession is a secure choice.
    But, you have 3.5 years so hopefully things will be different then. When it gets close to the time start sending out resumes and see what's possible.
    I will always be in reserves (as of now) because I like doing it and it's a wonderful fall back and good benefits. So you could keep one foot in the door too.
    You can always get out and if it sucks go back.
    "I think Arnold had the sexiest body of all time... Arnold had that charming boy look and a body of a stallion"-google&pubmed

Spotter

I left a great career behind and became a civilian after 8-years of active duty. I don't regret it one bit but I already had an incredible job opportunity awaiting me and I didn't have to deal with the worst recession since the Great Depression either.

You still have some time to think about it and see how the economy plays out and you can also venture into the civilian job market down the road and see where you stand.

No need to make a decision at this time but it's always good to start thinking and planning early. Good luck.

vargasty

Ya Thanks for all the responses. I am weighing my options. Right now I am at a very undermanned command and I am working 6 days a week, 12 hours a day. It's really wearing me down and if this is how the Navy is, they can keep it. I am up for orders next month and will be going overseas, hopefully to Italy for 2 years before my contract is up. The Air Force is accepting Prior Service in a few MOS's and Security Forces happens to be one of the open jobs. I will DEFINITLY be looking into making that switch for obvious reasons and hopefully it is still open.

I can tell you about my experience to give you something else to think about.

I was born for the military. I have the mindset. I'm the "no bullshit" person, and I believe in keeping work and play separate...that is to say, if I chew your ass at work, I expect you to leave it at work and be cool with going out for a drink after work like nothing happened. No room to get butthurt, basically. I was raised to do things right the first time, to get it done quickly and correctly, and to be innovative whenever possible. The Marine Corps was the place that allowed me to do that.

With people talking about retards dictating your life, there are two issues about that.
    1. You're going to have a boss anyway. I mean, what, you become a civilian again and never have to answer to anyone else? And at least with the military you're guaranteed that the person at least has a high school diploma or GED + college credits. Saying that a person in the military "can't hack it in the real world" or some other stupid shit is suggesting that everyone who didn't enlist in the military is some kind of super star stellar performer that practices law and does brain surgery. Idiots are everywhere.
    2. You need to out-think the retards and make them work for you.

I enlisted in the USMC because I wanted to, not because I "had" to. There was no family history of service and my parents didn't want me to enlist. I started college at 16 and play 12 instruments...I didn't "need" the military. For that reason, a lot of people thought it was hard on me because I didn't go the officer route (I wanted to see what the enlisted had to deal with before I became an officer) and apparently people like me are supposed to have a hard time dealing with stupidity. So they think. The issue is, unless I had to deal with the absolute moron of morons who used his/her rank as a substitute for being a legit leader, I never had any problem getting anything done. My work ethic, intelligence, and "do it right, right now" attitude caught the attention of everyone I worked for. I had officers I didn't even know offering to write my recommendation for the MESEP program and was "smoking and joking" with Master Sergeants and Gunnies. I enlisted a little "older" (when I was 21) and also knew the rules and regs in and out, so I used that confidence in myself and my knowledge to back up my actions and statements. For this reason, I had no problem getting respect even though I was a piddly little E-3. I even chewed out people who outranked me if they were fucking around. The only people who tried to mess with me were, again, those in the service that really suck and just use their rank as an intimidation factor to hide the fact they suck (the "retards" if you will), and because everyone knew I had my ducks in a row, I was never in any trouble.

I say I was a piddly little E-3 because that's how I ended up getting out. The Marine Corps was supposed to be my career, and I'll be quite honest: I still have trouble dealing with being out. I wanted to go the warrant officer route, but the universe had other plans so instead I ended up with two different disabilities. Fucking sucks. Every day of my life is a goddamned struggle, and it's that same "can do" attitude that makes every day a fucking nightmare. I still think I "can do" and I usually can't do. It's also that same "can do" attitude that kept me from eating a bullet sandwich after I found out my body and thus career were fucked to hell.

As a civilian, I hate it. I hate every day that I'm not in. I hate dealing with people in the "civilian" way because I can't deal with them the "Marine Corps" way. I can't yell at people who act retarded. I can't correct someone. I have to let them be, otherwise I'm the asshole. I hate it. I'm finishing up a degree in a completely different field because I can't do what I was studying prior to the military because of my conditions, and I hate being back in school. The Post 9/11 Bill is all nice and happy and shit, but God knows I'd rather be in. I hate working in groups, I hate dealing with incompetent people. At least in the Marines, people were held accountable if they sucked. Here? Nothing. I lived in a sublet in a college town and those fuckers were up all night every night partying to high heaven while I couldn't sleep because of the noise and had work in a few hours. The barracks duty would have shut their shit down, but instead I had to be kept up while they screamed and threw trash cans in their drunken stupor. The sublet I lived in had three other people living there. No one cleaned up because "That's Chad's mess" or "Those are Nikki's dishes." No one thought, "I pay for this place, I want to have it look good so I don't care who did what, I'm cleaning." No one but me, that is. The entire laundry room was literally covered and stacked with cans and bottles because "Chad is going to take them to recycling sometime, so whenever he cleans them up, they'll be cleaned up." It was like an "IOU" for cleaning and that was supposed to be good enough. Fuck that. The day I moved in, I separated and bagged all the cans and bottles. Seriously, WTF. We all pay to live here, why live in a mess? No one cleaned any of the common areas. The bathtub I thought was stained from age was really just dirty. Fucking civilians.

No one moves quickly with a sense of purpose. No one cares about doing it right or doing it at all. And yes, the economy fucking sucks. I waited a year before going to school because I wanted to just use the Post 9/11 Bill, which started in August of 2009. I worked three jobs. I hated it, but there was nothing to do. I had the education, experience, and military experience, but no one was hiring. No one. I chewed through my severance pay rather quickly and was fired from one job because of my disability, and had to live off unemployment. And then I had to apply for food stamps. At one point, I was living on someone's couch.

Now, you can see I've got a lot of bitching about it. I hate it, I really fucking hate it. This doesn't seem to apply to anyone else who posted, and that's fine. If they're happier out, more power to them. I just wanted to give you the perspective of someone who actually enjoyed being in the military, despite the retards and dumb rules (the Marine Corps takes the cake on dumb rules), and how it feels to be out.
    Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?

You're so close to getting that pension man...you'll look back at this and you'll thank yourself so much for it! Keep at the grind!

vargasty

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryriddick View Post
    I can tell you about my experience to give you something else to think about.

I was born for the military. I have the mindset. I'm the "no bullshit" person, and I believe in keeping work and play separate...that is to say, if I chew your ass at work, I expect you to leave it at work and be cool with going out for a drink after work like nothing happened. No room to get butthurt, basically. I was raised to do things right the first time, to get it done quickly and correctly, and to be innovative whenever possible. The Marine Corps was the place that allowed me to do that.

With people talking about retards dictating your life, there are two issues about that.
    1. You're going to have a boss anyway. I mean, what, you become a civilian again and never have to answer to anyone else? And at least with the military you're guaranteed that the person at least has a high school diploma or GED + college credits. Saying that a person in the military "can't hack it in the real world" or some other stupid shit is suggesting that everyone who didn't enlist in the military is some kind of super star stellar performer that practices law and does brain surgery. Idiots are everywhere.
    2. You need to out-think the retards and make them work for you.

I enlisted in the USMC because I wanted to, not because I "had" to. There was no family history of service and my parents didn't want me to enlist. I started college at 16 and play 12 instruments...I didn't "need" the military. For that reason, a lot of people thought it was hard on me because I didn't go the officer route (I wanted to see what the enlisted had to deal with before I became an officer) and apparently people like me are supposed to have a hard time dealing with stupidity. So they think. The issue is, unless I had to deal with the absolute moron of morons who used his/her rank as a substitute for being a legit leader, I never had any problem getting anything done. My work ethic, intelligence, and "do it right, right now" attitude caught the attention of everyone I worked for. I had officers I didn't even know offering to write my recommendation for the MESEP program and was "smoking and joking" with Master Sergeants and Gunnies. I enlisted a little "older" (when I was 21) and also knew the rules and regs in and out, so I used that confidence in myself and my knowledge to back up my actions and statements. For this reason, I had no problem getting respect even though I was a piddly little E-3. I even chewed out people who outranked me if they were fucking around. The only people who tried to mess with me were, again, those in the service that really suck and just use their rank as an intimidation factor to hide the fact they suck (the "retards" if you will), and because everyone knew I had my ducks in a row, I was never in any trouble.

I say I was a piddly little E-3 because that's how I ended up getting out. The Marine Corps was supposed to be my career, and I'll be quite honest: I still have trouble dealing with being out. I wanted to go the warrant officer route, but the universe had other plans so instead I ended up with two different disabilities. Fucking sucks. Every day of my life is a goddamned struggle, and it's that same "can do" attitude that makes every day a fucking nightmare. I still think I "can do" and I usually can't do. It's also that same "can do" attitude that kept me from eating a bullet sandwich after I found out my body and thus career were fucked to hell.

As a civilian, I hate it. I hate every day that I'm not in. I hate dealing with people in the "civilian" way because I can't deal with them the "Marine Corps" way. I can't yell at people who act retarded. I can't correct someone. I have to let them be, otherwise I'm the asshole. I hate it. I'm finishing up a degree in a completely different field because I can't do what I was studying prior to the military because of my conditions, and I hate being back in school. The Post 9/11 Bill is all nice and happy and shit, but God knows I'd rather be in. I hate working in groups, I hate dealing with incompetent people. At least in the Marines, people were held accountable if they sucked. Here? Nothing. I lived in a sublet in a college town and those fuckers were up all night every night partying to high heaven while I couldn't sleep because of the noise and had work in a few hours. The barracks duty would have shut their shit down, but instead I had to be kept up while they screamed and threw trash cans in their drunken stupor. The sublet I lived in had three other people living there. No one cleaned up because "That's Chad's mess" or "Those are Nikki's dishes." No one thought, "I pay for this place, I want to have it look good so I don't care who did what, I'm cleaning." No one but me, that is. The entire laundry room was literally covered and stacked with cans and bottles because "Chad is going to take them to recycling sometime, so whenever he cleans them up, they'll be cleaned up." It was like an "IOU" for cleaning and that was supposed to be good enough. Fuck that. The day I moved in, I separated and bagged all the cans and bottles. Seriously, WTF. We all pay to live here, why live in a mess? No one cleaned any of the common areas. The bathtub I thought was stained from age was really just dirty. Fucking civilians.

No one moves quickly with a sense of purpose. No one cares about doing it right or doing it at all. And yes, the economy fucking sucks. I waited a year before going to school because I wanted to just use the Post 9/11 Bill, which started in August of 2009. I worked three jobs. I hated it, but there was nothing to do. I had the education, experience, and military experience, but no one was hiring. No one. I chewed through my severance pay rather quickly and was fired from one job because of my disability, and had to live off unemployment. And then I had to apply for food stamps. At one point, I was living on someone's couch.

Now, you can see I've got a lot of bitching about it. I hate it, I really fucking hate it. This doesn't seem to apply to anyone else who posted, and that's fine. If they're happier out, more power to them. I just wanted to give you the perspective of someone who actually enjoyed being in the military, despite the retards and dumb rules (the Marine Corps takes the cake on dumb rules), and how it feels to be out.
    The Corp is definitly the King of comradery and the King of rediculous rules, which probably add to you guys being so close from the Officer side to the Enlisted Side. I have come to the realization that I am just another body. To be honest with you, I just want to go to the gym and go home. I don't care about what type of job I do. I do not want to get married or have kids. I am working 12 hours a day 6 days a week and have almost no time to train here because we are so undermanned. I am even told that the only way to get more qualifications is to come in on my off time. I am already going to college online through AMU and there is no way in hell I am going to come in on my only off day. I will base my decission on my next command but it is going to take alot for me to trust the military again. They have the attitude where they want less people to do more work and are running my entire command into the ground.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast