Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Get or or Stay in?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by vargasty View Post
    I will base my decission on my next command but it is going to take alot for me to trust the military again.
    Don't you have an option where you can request a different command as kind of a re-enlistment "bonus?" I've seen people switch commands, switch duty stations, and even switch MOS as a "bonus" for them to re-enlist because the USMC is really big on re-enlistment.
    Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?

vargasty

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryriddick View Post
    Don't you have an option where you can request a different command as kind of a re-enlistment "bonus?" I've seen people switch commands, switch duty stations, and even switch MOS as a "bonus" for them to re-enlist because the USMC is really big on re-enlistment.
    Yes it's called guard 2000. You can use it on your first re-enlistment and one more time after that in your career. I originally signed up for 5 years and have another 3 to go.

Quote Originally Posted by vargasty View Post
    Yes it's called guard 2000. You can use it on your first re-enlistment and one more time after that in your career. I originally signed up for 5 years and have another 3 to go.
    Yeah, man, cross that bridge when you get to it. No use worrying now...many things can change in 3 years.

Spotter

take your base pay, add your bah (or what your bah woudl be if you received it) add your bas. take all that and multiply by 12, then divide by 26.

This is about what you would need to make in the civilain sector every 2 weeks to make what you are getting now.

Then look at the most important perks of military service: health care, dental, eye, retirement, tsp and 30 days a year of vacation from day 1.

Just something else to think about....I am looking at retirement myself, and going thru the same process... remember, no matter how many years of active duty service you signed up for, you still owe 8 years either active, guard, reserve or IRR. IRR isnt as bad as it used to be but I have seen people get snagged when they least expected it...

Sapper has a good point. And you gotta remember that you retire after 20 years in. I don't know when you enlisted, but if you're like most people and enlist when you're 18, that means you're retired at just 38 years old. And then you can do whatever you want after that, including far as finding something different for work.

i would say take your time on this decision. it depends a lot on where your stationed and what opportunities present when re enlistment time comes. i did my 6 years and got out 23 years ago and can honestly say best decision i ever made. hated to get out after just making e-6 but honestly the re enlistment bonuses not very much and was not offered any shore time! back then my sea / shore rotation was 10 years sea, 1 year shore! so that made my decision easy.

Man, do what you truly WANT to do. I just reenlisted for another 4 years in the AF and I plan to get out in 2014.... if the economy is better??????? Being mil to mil my wife and I can onlt put up with being away from one another and our little girl so much. Then I don't give a fuck what I have to do as long as i get to stay with them... I'll do that.

follow your heart dude evaluate your position and decide youre el capitan of that ship that is YOUR LIFE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12