Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Best of the Prequels

Wink Best of the Prequels

There are a ton of things I could gripe about with star wars movies. I'll discuss a few below. But by and large, this is the best of the prequels and, in my eyes, ranks pretty highly as a sci-fi film.First, the bad. This should have been more than one film. Rather than a whole film for the events in The Phantom Menace, the Clone Wars could easily have consumed a whole extra movies. Unfortunately, squeezing all of this into Revenge of the Sith means that a lot of important footage was cut. Fortunately, it's all in the deleted scenes section of the Bonus disc.I'm also not crazy about the way Palpatine's character is used in the film. I love Ian McDiarmid, but the whole introduction with kidnapping Chancellor Palpatine seems a bit silly. I also don't think the whole "aging" process after the battle with Mace Windu worked.However, these are minor quibbles. Overall, the story works. Hayden Christiansen is a believable Anakin/Vader. Moreover, his reasons for turning to the Dark Side are more compelling and realistic than the motivations of most movie villains (I won't spoil it, but it makes sense). It explains the final fall of Vader in a dramatic and compelling way, with great special effects to boot.With Revenge of the Sith, it seems like Lucas and the case of the prequels finally got their act together for this grand finale. The death of the Jedi is simply haunting - a perfect combination of camera angles, soundtrack, and acting. Let's be honest - 30 years ago, when we all wondered about Darth Vader's background, nobody ever thought it would be this exciting. I just wish this much thought and passion had gone into the rest of the prequels.