Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Training & Nutrition Questions or Problems

Hey Tim. Thanks for taking your time and helping out.. I have a question about my arm size.. Even when my diet was spot on everything grew but my bis and tris.. My legs and shoulders blew up, chest was decent, abs were there but bis and tris didnt grow... yes they got a bit vascular but looked flat.. what do you recomend I do.. I was thinking of hitting them 2 times a week.. maybe something like this:
    Monday: Chest, Shoulders, and a few sets of Triceps
    Wednesday: Back, Traps, and a few of Biceps
    Friday: Legs
    Saturday: Arms

In between days im going to do light cardio and abs.. I am just recovering from an injury so Im going to take it kind of easy and light and give me more rest days.. at least for now.. no more 5 day training in a row.. so what do you think I should do for my arms? Im going to be keeping the reps higher than 8 but below 12 at all times.. what exercises do you think I should concentrate on? Thanks so much my friend

Tim just want to say thanks for your time and help.. I trully appreciate it.. I couldnt agree more with you about the mind muscle connection approach.. I am just starting to get over an injury.. tendinopathy in my supraspinatus and a minor case of edema (mri) I thought it was cool to pound out 4 sets of 120 lbs db presses until I couldnt press 60's!!! damn shoulders.. Trust me I have learned thats its about the concentration and form not how much pounds I can throw up.. I was thinking about resting 20-30 seconds between sets for the time being? what do you think of that? I will do 8-12 reps for each exercise with just 20-30 seconds rest just concentrating on the form and squeeze? What were your results with an approach like that? What do you think about it? Thanks very much for all your help friend!!!

OK guys,I`m back........had some computer problems and had to have it repaired!!

I did pretty good at the contest................got 2nd. place in nthe Over-50 contest, out of 4 competitors,and 5th. place in a very tough Over-40 division,out of 8 competitors,and snagged 3rd. place out of 4 guys in the )ver-35 under 176 pound class.............also got 1st. place in a bodyweight for the most reps bench press contest in the Over-50 age group!!

Brought home 4 trophies to add to my already collecting dust collection!! LOL
    Strictly Business

Quote Originally Posted by liftnainez View Post
    Tim just want to say thanks for your time and help.. I trully appreciate it.. I couldnt agree more with you about the mind muscle connection approach.. I am just starting to get over an injury.. tendinopathy in my supraspinatus and a minor case of edema (mri) I thought it was cool to pound out 4 sets of 120 lbs db presses until I couldnt press 60's!!! damn shoulders.. Trust me I have learned thats its about the concentration and form not how much pounds I can throw up.. I was thinking about resting 20-30 seconds between sets for the time being? what do you think of that? I will do 8-12 reps for each exercise with just 20-30 seconds rest just concentrating on the form and squeeze? What were your results with an approach like that? What do you think about it? Thanks very much for all your help friend!!!
    Sorry to hear about the injury,but I think your new approach,while using much lighter weights,will be even harder than going mega-heavy as far as intensity/pain is concerned!!

Getting the most work done in the shortest amount of time is very tough and taxes the musxcles as opposed to the joints.......the weigts will be lighter but they won`t be ceasy!!

I think it`s a sound approach and one that will serve you much better as far as hypertrophy is concerned!!

Good luck and train insane!!
    Strictly Business

Super Moderator Daibhí O'Buadain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timski View Post
    OK guys,I`m back........had some computer problems and had to have it repaired!!

I did pretty good at the contest................got 2nd. place in nthe Over-50 contest, out of 4 competitors,and 5th. place in a very tough Over-40 division,out of 8 competitors,and snagged 3rd. place out of 4 guys in the )ver-35 under 176 pound class.............also got 1st. place in a bodyweight for the most reps bench press contest in the Over-50 age group!!

Congrats Tim

CONGRATS TIM!!!

Thanks guys..........I`m having a pretty good year!
    Strictly Business

Sorry to hear about the injury,but I think your new approach,while using much lighter weights,will be even harder than going mega-heavy as far as intensity/pain is concerned!!

Getting the most work done in the shortest amount of time is very tough and taxes the musxcles as opposed to the joints.......the weigts will be lighter but they won`t be ceasy!!

I think it`s a sound approach and one that will serve you much better as far as hypertrophy is concerned!!

Good luck and train insane!!
    thank you bro.. I trully appreciate.. btw congrats on your wins and trophies.. you must be happy!!!

hey bro..sorry to bother you again, hope you dont mind.. I posted this in your other thread/stick so I just decided to post it up here..

Hey Tim. Thanks for taking your time and helping out.. I have a question about my arm size.. Even when my diet was spot on everything grew but my bis and tris.. My legs and shoulders blew up, chest was decent, abs were there but bis and tris didnt grow... yes they got a bit vascular but looked flat.. what do you recomend I do.. I was thinking of hitting them 2 times a week.. maybe something like this:

In between days im going to do light cardio and abs.. I am just recovering from an injury so Im going to take it kind of easy and light and give me more rest days.. at least for now.. no more 5 day training in a row.. so what do you think I should do for my arms? Im going to be keeping the reps higher than 8 but below 12 at all times.. what exercises do you think I should concentrate on? Thanks so much my friend

Spotter

I have a question regarding a training split. I asked this in Dave Palumbo's thread, but he is out town and I was hoping to get some advice.

First, my vitals as of 6/13/07:
    41 y.o.
    5'10"
    211 lbs
    27% body fat
    Down from 297 lbs and 48% body fat on 12/1/06
    My immediate goal is to lose another 40 lbs of body fat while building a good base so that I can start bulking up in the fall.

I have been dieting and working out for a little over six months. I've changed my workout routine a few times and I've also been using Dave's diet for about 7 weeks or so. I also do 45 minutes of cardio 6 days a week - it's all my schedule allows at this point.

My most recent split:
    Mon - Chest: Bench, Incline dumbells, Decline dumbells, Flies (total 13 sets)
    Tue - Back: One arm rows, Lat pulldowns, Low rows, Extensions (total 13 sets)
    Wed - Shoulders: Military presses, Reverse flies, Shrugs, Lateral raises (total 13 sets)
    Thu - Legs: Squats, Presses, Extensions, Curls, Calf raises (total 16 sets)
    Fri - Arms: Barbell curls, Seated curls, One-arm Preacher curls; Nosebreakers, Pressdowns, One-arm pressdowns (total 20 sets)

The first exercise for each body part was 4 sets(one warm-up). All other exercises were 3 sets. Pyramiding the weight up for each set. Set 1 - 12 reps, set 2 - 10 reps, set 3 - to failure (7 to 8 reps)

I feel like I am stagnating with this split. Some muscles feel like they need to be hit more than once every 7 days. My shoulders are definitely lagging.

My proposed new split:
    Biceps: Barbell curls, Seated curls, One-arm Preacher curls (total 10 sets)

Shoulders: Military presses, Reverse flies, Shrugs, Lateral raises (total 13 sets)

Wed - Legs: Squats, Presses, Extensions, Curls, Calf raises (total 16 sets)
    Triceps: Nosebreakers, Pressdowns, One-arm pressdowns (total 10 sets)

Thu - Chest: Bench, Flies (total 7 sets)
    Back: One arm rows, Lat pulldowns (total 7 sets)
    Biceps: Barbell curls, One-arm Preacher curls (total 7 sets)

Fri - Shoulders: Military presses, Reverse flies, Shrugs (total 10 sets)
    Triceps: Nosebreakers, Pressdowns (total 7 sets)

My legs seem to do best when only hit once a week.

Mon, Tues, & Wed I will continue to pyramid my sets, taking some to failure. Thu & Fri I will use the weight that I currently use for my first set and do 3 sets of 10. And I will continue to do 45 minutes of cardio 6 days a week and stick to Dave's diet.

My theory is that I will be hitting each body part hard once a week and then giving it a second lighter workout 3 days later so that it gets an additional pump without waiting a full week.

My question is: Does my proposed split make sense? What would you recommend that I do?

Quote Originally Posted by liftnainez View Post
    hey bro..sorry to bother you again, hope you dont mind.. I posted this in your other thread/stick so I just decided to post it up here..

Can you give me the exact arm routine you were using and how many sets and reps of each exercise.......much easier to advise or offer suggestions if I know a bit more.

Thanks !!
    Strictly Business

Quote Originally Posted by Licketysplit View Post
    I have a question regarding a training split. I asked this in Dave Palumbo's thread, but he is out town and I was hoping to get some advice.

First, my vitals as of 6/13/07:
    41 y.o.
    5'10"
    211 lbs
    27% body fat
    Down from 297 lbs and 48% body fat on 12/1/06
    My immediate goal is to lose another 40 lbs of body fat while building a good base so that I can start bulking up in the fall.

I have been dieting and working out for a little over six months. I've changed my workout routine a few times and I've also been using Dave's diet for about 7 weeks or so. I also do 45 minutes of cardio 6 days a week - it's all my schedule allows at this point.

My most recent split:
    Wed - Shoulders: Military presses, Reverse flies, Shrugs, Lateral raises (total 13 sets)
    Thu - Legs: Squats, Presses, Extensions, Curls, Calf raises (total 16 sets)
    Fri - Arms: Barbell curls, Seated curls, One-arm Preacher curls; Nosebreakers, Pressdowns, One-arm pressdowns (total 20 sets)

The first exercise for each body part was 4 sets(one warm-up). All other exercises were 3 sets. Pyramiding the weight up for each set. Set 1 - 12 reps, set 2 - 10 reps, set 3 - to failure (7 to 8 reps)

I feel like I am stagnating with this split. Some muscles feel like they need to be hit more than once every 7 days. My shoulders are definitely lagging.

My proposed new split:
    Biceps: Barbell curls, Seated curls, One-arm Preacher curls (total 10 sets)

Shoulders: Military presses, Reverse flies, Shrugs, Lateral raises (total 13 sets)

Wed - Legs: Squats, Presses, Extensions, Curls, Calf raises (total 16 sets)
    Triceps: Nosebreakers, Pressdowns, One-arm pressdowns (total 10 sets)

Thu - Chest: Bench, Flies (total 7 sets)
    Back: One arm rows, Lat pulldowns (total 7 sets)
    Biceps: Barbell curls, One-arm Preacher curls (total 7 sets)

Fri - Shoulders: Military presses, Reverse flies, Shrugs (total 10 sets)
    Triceps: Nosebreakers, Pressdowns (total 7 sets)

My legs seem to do best when only hit once a week.

Mon, Tues, & Wed I will continue to pyramid my sets, taking some to failure. Thu & Fri I will use the weight that I currently use for my first set and do 3 sets of 10. And I will continue to do 45 minutes of cardio 6 days a week and stick to Dave's diet.

My theory is that I will be hitting each body part hard once a week and then giving it a second lighter workout 3 days later so that it gets an additional pump without waiting a full week.

My question is: Does my proposed split make sense? What would you recommend that I do?
    First of all,you are doing 20 sets for the arms,a very small muscle group that gets hit indirectly while doing chest,shoulders,and back............way too much volume ,especially for a guy who hasn`t been training all that long,less than a year in fact.........if your arms don`t recover,the training was a waste.

Always do more sets for the bigger bodyparts that can take much more work and still be able to recover........chest,quads,back,as well as shoulders since they have 3 distinct heads that need to be worked should receive 10-15 sets depending on the individuals recovery abilities.

6-10 sets for biceps,usually 8 is enough,again it depends on the person,and 8-12 sets for triceps.....do a bit more for triceps since they compose 2/3 of the upper arm mass and should ideally be a bit bigger than the biceps.

I would drop declines from chest day....they are useless as a pec exercise unless done to the throat.....do benches,db inclines,and flyes.........4 sets of each.

Back looks OK,but do shrugs on back day not on shoulder day...traps are a huge back muscle, and though they are part of the shoulder girdle,they should be done with back.

Do legs by themselves.......in facxt if you can even think about doing triceps on leg day,you are not training legs hard enough..........also do some rack deadlifts at the start of back day.

Move hamstrings to shoulder day and do more than just a few sets of leg curls.....stiff-legged deads or seated leg curls should be done......do 2 exercises,4 sets each for hams.

OK here`s my split suggestion and try not to rest too long between sets to increase intensity.

Mon.-Quads/Calves
    Tues.-Chest/Abs/Cardio
    Wed.-Back/Traps/Cardio
    Thurs.Shoulders/Hamstrings/Light Calves/Abs/Cardio
    Fri.-Biceps/Triceps/Forearms/Cardio
    Sat.Cardio/Abs
    Sun.REST
    Strictly Business

Congrats Tim!!
    I guess it was a long tough day with all the classes!!!
    Ben

Can you give me the exact arm routine you were using and how many sets and reps of each exercise.......much easier to advise or offer suggestions if I know a bit more.

Thanks !!
    hey bro.. sure can:
    bis: standing dumbell curls 3-4 sets of 6-10
    straight bar curl 3 sets of 6-10
    hammer curls- 3 sets of 6-10
    tris: push downs- 3 sets of 10-15
    skull crushers 3 sets of 8-12
    rope pull downs 3 sets of 12-15
    and sometimes close grip BP for 3 sets.

I think I have a decent arm routine I just do not know why they dont grow.. I think im goint to really concentrate on form and very slow reps.. My diet is on point and they just dont grow.. what do you advise.. maybe like dave says: one arm at a time??? let me know what you think my good friend.. thanks bro!! much appreciation

Quote Originally Posted by ben1 View Post
    Congrats Tim!!
    I guess it was a long tough day with all the classes!!!
    Ben
    Thanks Ben,it was too long.....I was awake for over 24 hours!
    Strictly Business

Congrats Tim.

You coming to the Olympia?

Thanks bro.........not gonna` make the Olympia unfortunately.

Lots of bills,car trouble,and one more contest,possibly two,so money will be tight.
    Strictly Business

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast