Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Training & Nutrition Questions or Problems

To try and answer sstandley,and hifrommikes questions about poundages and avoiding exercises,I`ll say that in my case,I had to go a lot lighter on back movements because in 2004 I hurt my lower back...........it`s now OK,at about 90% healthy.

I couldn`t do one squat with 135 and rowing movements were out of the question.

I did leg presses,db lunges,step-ups,leg extensions,lying leg sled etc.
    as well as head braced on incline rows and lying barbell rows.

As a result,my back development improved bigtime by going lighter and focusing more on the mind/muscle connection......I think more people should train the back lighter and learn how to feel it in the targeted areas..a tough bodypart for most to do so.

I can squat again but so far have not quite gotten up to my old poundages.

I still do deads,squats,rows,presses,etc.,but I never max out which is a total waste of time for bodybuilding purposes.

I super-set squats with leg pessses,or I do higher reps........much better for development and easier on the lower back.

I use a wide variety of exercises in my training and no 2 workouts are alike,I don`t avoid any exercises,but only use the ones that I feel are productive as far as my development is concerned.

If an exercise causes undue pain,just sub in a similar movement.......... whether you are younger or older,don`t use an exercise that does nothing for you just because some mag says to.

I no longer bench at all ,I concentrate on inclines nowadays...........I alternate heavy DB inclines,Smith Machine inclines,and heavy barbell inclines on a weekly basis, or use one of them according to how I feel that day.

Only certain people get good results from benching....most go too heavy and ego lift, and end up with screwed up rotator cuffs or a torn pec.

I squat ass to the grass, but as I said no maxes...I will however still do a triple or some sets of 5 reps but only on rare occasions........I mix things up constantly to alleviate boredom and to avoid adaptation.

Just because we are older does not mean we can`t use heavy basics, but if they hurt you at all,stop using them......it`s not worth it,as you do not truly need them if you are inventive and creative in designing your workouts and you know how to keep things intense without them.

Sorry `bout my rambling,it`s early, and I need more coffee.
    Last edited by Timski; May 10th, 2007 at 06:15 AM.
    Strictly Business

Sandpig,I`d say 1.5-2 grams but I would vary the amounts by doing the 1.5 for 2-3 days than a coup[le of days at 2 grams and repeat this cycling..if I saw myself getting too fat,I`d lower carbs or fats a bit,still too much fat and I`d lower protein until I found the amounts that allowed me to stay leaner.

Nothing is carved in stone for all of us to use universally,we have to and should experiment with macro ratios to find out what works best for the results we are seeking.
    Strictly Business

Thanks Mike,and it was great meeting you a few years back in Pittsburgh...........sorry we didn`t get a chance to talk more but I never know what to say to people when I`m nervous and doing a show!!
    Strictly Business

Quote Originally Posted by sstandley View Post
    Like a Led Zeppellin, T.
    That`ll work too,as will this smiley!!
    Strictly Business

Dr Pangloss

T, funny that you mentioned it: I now super set leg press with front squat because it kills my quads without having to front squat over 315 lb.

great post. Thanks.
    Last edited by Dr Pangloss; May 10th, 2007 at 07:25 AM.

No problem brother.........there`s always ways to increase intensity without adding weight to the bar and nowadays this in my preffered way to train,very painful and result producing.
    Strictly Business

Here's a question for you brotha! It is kind of broad, but I know what my answer would be. What is the most common mistake that competitive bb'ers make? It could be in reference to training, dieting, or supplementation

That is kind of a broad question........especxially this early in the morning!!

I`ll have to think about this one as it could be a lot of things.

Possibly listening to too many people during their prep ?
    Strictly Business

Quote Originally Posted by Timski View Post
    That is kind of a broad question........especxially this early in the morning!!

I`ll have to think about this one as it could be a lot of things.

LOL...alright I will narrow it down a little. Let's say it's just pertaining to off-season and pre-contest diet.

Cheating on the diet?

Still pretty broad!! LOL
    Strictly Business

I have to agree with this one Tim. Way to often people get to many opinions and end up messing up in the end...pick a direction and see it through...if it doesn't work, try something new, but if you have 100 variables you'll never know what works and doesn't.

I agree Joe,a person can get confused listening to so many varying opinions that are probably all valid but all take a different approach.
    Strictly Business

Somebody needs to merge this thread with the one in the Masters Section.......please!!
    Strictly Business

Super Moderator Daibhí O'Buadain's Avatar

Somebody needs to merge this thread with the one in the Masters Section.......please!!
    Tim,
    I am working this now, I have a request into a Mod for assistance.

Cool,thanks !!
    Strictly Business

Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

Super Moderator Daibhí O'Buadain's Avatar

Cool,thanks !!
    NP bro, in addition to a merge I requested that your Q+A be stickied in this forum, I dont want any of that excellent advise your passing out to get lost in the sauce, so to speak.

Looks like the Mods worked their magic , thanks Mods, for the usual quick and timely assistance

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast