Strictly Business

Congrats on the Mod status Tim...

Well deserved bro.....

Super Moderator Daibhí O'Buadain's Avatar

Tim Wescott

"The Peoples Choice"

Congratulations Tim on your MOD status.

P.S
    I will PM you my address to let you know where you can send that 50 bucks you promised me, if I nominated you for Mod and set up the poll

Thanks guys!!

Dave,the check is in the mail !
    Strictly Business

Default Training & Nutrition Questions or Problems

If anyone has any questions or problems regarding training or diet,feel free to ask in this thread.............. regardless of your age or training experience.

I`m not a guru by any means,although I do play one on TV but as a guy with crappy genetics (none at all really),I think I`ve learned a few things about both subjects, and I have a lot of interesting training and diet scenarios if anyone is interested in trying some of them out.

Been training forever, and have done over 40 contests, placing or winning my class in just about all of them.....over 60 trophies so far.............54 of them won since 1995 at an older age,so maybe I can help someone who is stalled or in a quandry about what they should do next to possibly keep making inroads to progress.

Don`t be shy...I`ll do my best to try to answer anything you might ask if I think I`m capable of doing so.

Thanks,

Tim
    Strictly Business

Quote Originally Posted by Timski View Post
    Thanks guys!!

Dave,the check is in the mail !
    They should pay you

Dr Pangloss

Timski,

have you looked into HRT (hormone replacemant therapy) as a way to delay the effects of aging (and enhance bb)? This would include tings like testosterone replacement and growth hormone supplementation.

Doc,no I haven`t but have been considering it recently.

Don`t know too much about it though really,so I`ll have to do some research.
    Strictly Business

Doc,no I haven`t but have been considering it recently.

Don`t know too much about it though really,so I`ll have to do some research.

Tim,
    If you did it, you would like the results but would you be able to compete as a natural if you did? I would think not? I mean, it technically would be for medical reasons but it is chemical enhancement.

NYC BIG MIKE

I compete in the NPC anyway Mike.
    Strictly Business

Tim (one of the coolest bro's in BB).. Gotta q for you?

As we get older and our training gets (supposed to) gets smarter.. what kind of training tips do you recommend ?.. i.e some people recomend reduced/altered ROM (especially for the taller bb's)..

Thanks Alex,I recommend higher reps for the most part,less rest between sets,and using intensity techniques such as Giant-Sets,Super-Sets,Tri-Sets,Drop-Sets,etc.

Going too heavy and maxing out, is crazy for a bodybuilder to do,especially an older bodybuilder.

Also,make sure you do some type of cardio and eat clean, as the fat will creep up on us older guys much easier than a younger bodybuilder with a faster metabolism.

Warmup good by doing a lighter set or two of the exercise you are about to perform,and stretch more after training.

A lot of flexibility that has been lost over time, or due to lack of stretching, can be easily regained by stretching more often,and consistantly.........between sets and after training,stretch the bodypart(s) that you have worked.

Train heavy,but develop the mind/muscle connection and use weights that are heavy for the targeted rep range you are shooting for...........forget ego training,and work for feeling the muscle through a full range of motion,I do a lot of half reps at the end of some sets when full reps can no longer be performed,which extends the set a bit further than you could normally do and is quite painful.

Forget partner assisted forced reps for the most part,but use them occasionally on heavier stuff,just a couple though, none of this 8 assisted rep beginner shit while your partner yells "ALL YOU BRO" at the top of his lungs!! LOL

There really is no limitations a person should regard as far as intense training goes for an older person, unless of course a pre-existing medical condition exists, or the person is just beginning to train.......for an older guy who has been training a long time,just keep moving, and make training intense by using the correct weight, and resting less between sets......this eliminates the need for bone crushing poundages, because training faster makes lighter poundages feel as heavy as hell,and less injuries will occur this way..........the mind has no clue as to what numbers are on the bar,it only knows heavy or light.

Never sretch a cold muscle,and at times,heavier power movements can be done last in a bodypart routine so that the muscle is pre-exhausted...........example,doing squats last on leg day,less weight used,but still feels heavy due to doing them last after performing other leg work......should help those with back problem,s but still allows a person with a bad back to squat without having to use just the empty bar.

Of course if your back is really screwed up you can just skip squatting altogether....just using it as an example.........benching last will save your rotator cuffs if they are still healthy also.

Being older doesn`t mean to train lighter or less intense,it just means that you should train smarter.

I literaly train circles around much younger guys and I never waste two hours just doing benches these days!! LOL
    Strictly Business

Spotter

Default question

tim how much volume do you do per bodypart

Hey TQ,hows it going bud?

I generally do it like this but no two workouts are ever exactly alike so it`ll vary just a little at times:

Chest-12 sets,(at times 15, depending on how heavy I might be going on a compound exercise)

Back-12-15 (working all areas of the back)

Traps-3 sets (gets enough indirect work training back,and I don`t want to detract from shoulder width by getting a sloped shoulder look)

Deltoids-12-16(working all 3 heads.....mostly side and rear plus a compound exercise which will involve the front delt..very seldom do I train front delts directly except occasionally at contest time)

Biceps-8-10

Triceps-10-12

Forearms-8-10 (both extensors and flexors)

Calves-8-12

Quads-15

Abs-12 (usually on one day,and 4-6 sets on the other ab day)

As I said though,nothing is ever carved in stone but this is pretty accurate generally speaking.
    Strictly Business

Spotter

Default thanks tim

tim it was great to see you on here i'am 39 and in 6 months 40 and plan on making my comeback in the masters,so i'am going to tap your mind from time too time.i agree one hundred % about traing smarter and really feeling the muscle.we train very simular i might do a little more volume.and do your carb roation also. mike

Thanks Mike,anytime I might be able to help,just let me know.

Good luck on the comeback.......keep me posted as to how it`s going and train hard!!
    Strictly Business

I compete in the NPC anyway Mike.

Ask me how I knew that.

NYC BIG MIKE

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast