Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Training & Nutrition Questions or Problems

LOL
    Strictly Business

Lynch

Quote Originally Posted by Timski View Post
    Thanks Alex,I recommend higher reps for the most part,less rest between sets,and using intensity techniques such as Giant-Sets,Super-Sets,Tri-Sets,Drop-Sets,etc.

Going too heavy and maxing out, is crazy for a bodybuilder to do,especially an older bodybuilder.

Also,make sure you do some type of cardio and eat clean, as the fat will creep up on us older guys much easier than a younger bodybuilder with a faster metabolism.

Warmup good by doing a lighter set or two of the exercise you are about to perform,and stretch more after training.

A lot of flexibility that has been lost over time, or due to lack of stretching, can be easily regained by stretching more often,and consistantly.........between sets and after training,stretch the bodypart(s) that you have worked.

Train heavy,but develop the mind/muscle connection and use weights that are heavy for the targeted rep range you are shooting for...........forget ego training,and work for feeling the muscle through a full range of motion,I do a lot of half reps at the end of some sets when full reps can no longer be performed,which extends the set a bit further than you could normally do and is quite painful.

Forget partner assisted forced reps for the most part,but use them occasionally on heavier stuff,just a couple though, none of this 8 assisted rep beginner shit while your partner yells "ALL YOU BRO" at the top of his lungs!! LOL

There really is no limitations a person should regard as far as intense training goes for an older person, unless of course a pre-existing medical condition exists, or the person is just beginning to train.......for an older guy who has been training a long time,just keep moving, and make training intense by using the correct weight, and resting less between sets......this eliminates the need for bone crushing poundages, because training faster makes lighter poundages feel as heavy as hell,and less injuries will occur this way..........the mind has no clue as to what numbers are on the bar,it only knows heavy or light.

Never sretch a cold muscle,and at times,heavier power movements can be done last in a bodypart routine so that the muscle is pre-exhausted...........example,doing squats last on leg day,less weight used,but still feels heavy due to doing them last after performing other leg work......should help those with back problem,s but still allows a person with a bad back to squat without having to use just the empty bar.

Of course if your back is really screwed up you can just skip squatting altogether....just using it as an example.........benching last will save your rotator cuffs if they are still healthy also.

Being older doesn`t mean to train lighter or less intense,it just means that you should train smarter.

I literaly train circles around much younger guys and I never waste two hours just doing benches these days!! LOL
    Good post.

Thanks Lynch !
    Strictly Business

Tim, just stopping in to say, keep up the good work. I basicly have the same philosophy as you.

Thanks Sandpig !!
    Strictly Business

Hi Tim!
    Just to stop here to show all my support!!!!
    As you can see sometime over the boards, we are often agree...
    For pre-contest days you train often with giant sets, how is one example of typical training method in your off-season?I know that you are for doing changes (tecniques, exercises...) from a session to the orther one (I do the same) ...
    Best wishes buddy and thanks!
    DrG

Thanks Gabri......they saythat great minds think alike !! LOL

To be honest with you,in the off-season,I train a bit slower and heavier and at times I`ll go as heavy as 3 reps on certain exercises,but not too often now That I have gotten older.

I will still do Giant-Sets,Super-Sets,Tri-Sets,etc. at times in the off-season also as I feel you can still build good size with them...........nutrition makes you bigger or more cut,ot just heavy weights alone.

Bottom line,train heavy for whatever rep range you are aiming for.....if 5 reps is your goal,or 12 reps,the weight used should make you work really hard to complete the reps.

In the off-season,I generally remove cable exercises like crossovers,or pec-decks,etc,but will at times do a set or two at the end of a heavier power type workout,just to insure that I get a good pump, and bring nutrient enriched blood to the area.

I think getting a good skintight pump is very important for growth unlike some people who say it doesn`t really matter much.

Typical chest workout-pre-contest:

Smith Inclines:
    5 x 15,10,8,6,12

Flyes:
    4 x 12,10,8-10,20

Crossovers:
    3 x 20,15,25

Dips:
    1 x failure-bodyweight

Pec-Deck:
    1 x failure

Typical chest workout-off-season:

Dumbell Inclines:
    5 x 12,10,8,6,12

Flyes:
    4 x 12,10,6-8,12

Weighted Dips:
    1 x 15 (bodyweight for a warmup)
    3 x 8,6,12 (with added weight)

Seated Bench Machine:
    1 drop-set to failure

My workouts vary from week to week......this just may be one scenario that I will use at any time.....the next weeks chest workout would be similar,but different exercises,order of exercises,rep ranges,etc.,will be changed.

Thanks Gabri !!
    Strictly Business

Question

Okay, I won't be shy, but I'm not quite sure how to word what I am asking......so here goes....it's about cardio....after warming up (at a lighter restitance) I increase the resistance significantly and I immediatly get an intense "burning" in my quads.....I've heard this means I am burning "lactic acid" in the muscles and that is not what I want in order to be burning fat?? Therefore, I have heard I should back off a bit and increase intensity at a slower rate, so as not to get that "burning" in the muscles???? do you have any thoughts about this theory?? Hope this q makes sense???

Super Moderator Daibhí O'Buadain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bndniron4evrgal View Post
    Okay, I won't be shy, but I'm not quite sure how to word what I am asking......so here goes....it's about cardio....after warming up (at a lighter restitance) I increase the resistance significantly and I immediatly get an intense "burning" in my quads.....I've heard this means I am burning "lactic acid" in the muscles and that is not what I want in order to be burning fat?? Therefore, I have heard I should back off a bit and increase intensity at a slower rate, so as not to get that "burning" in the muscles???? do you have any thoughts about this theory?? Hope this q makes sense???
    Diet is key, related to fat loss in bodybuilding.
    Cardio does not burn fat but assists in weight loss, respective to daily caloric expendure levels.

As to the burning and lactic acid...

What is going on is that your muscles are converting glucose/glycogen to lactic acid and using it for fuel, its a anerobic type energy conversion process that occures during high intensity cardio sessions.

Normally, regardless of intensity, you are not 'burning fat" during short term cardio exercise, to "burn fat" during cardio sessions, you would have to first deplete all the glucose and glycogen in your body before your body would then "burn fat" and that is impossiable within a 20-30 minute cardio session.

What you are doing in say 20 - 30 minutes of cardio, as to weight loss, is related to increasing your daily caloric expendure rate.

Studies indicate the most effective method for increasing daily caloric expendure related to weight loss is high intensity cardo like interval training on a threadmill.

Great post Dave!!

bndniron4evrgal,what type of machine are you using for your cardio?

I use a treadmill usually,though I do mix it up a bit here and there by using an eliptical machine, or walking up stadium stairs skipping a step on the way up, and walking down...great for glute/ham tie ins.

What I do on a treadmill is set it at a low speed (3.0) on a low incline(level 8 or so),after 5 minutes,I increase both speed and incline, and keep repeating this every few minutes until I hit a peak of 15 degrees on the incline, with a possible speed of lets say 4.0,then I stay there for a few,back it down slowly (both incline and speed), and stay at about a 10 incline at 3.5 MPH for a bit, and just keep repeating this.......if my quads start to burn,I simply back off,and stay at a level and speed that prevents this from happening.

I never run,nor do I use a stationary bike, as I feel you must propell yourself by walking not just sitting there moving legs only.

I never do any cardio on leg day, as I feel it would be counterproductive, and I truly doubt that I could walk for too long without falling down!

If you run for cardio but are a bodybuilder,just do light jogging or sprints,not long distance,running is for people who are training for running,not bodybuilders.

Just my opinion of course.

I also recommend HIIT cardio on an eliptical machine...........no impact on hips,knees,feet,or lowerback...I no longer do it exclusively as I had in the past because I found I lost too much leg size, and legs were never a strong point for me,but not for lack of busting ass on leg day!
    Last edited by Timski; June 3rd, 2007 at 12:31 PM.
    Strictly Business

Super Moderator Daibhí O'Buadain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timski View Post
    Great post Dave!!

bndniron4evrgal,what type of machine are you using for your cardio?

I use a treadmill usually,though I do mix it up a bit here and there by using an eliptical machine or walking up stadium stairs skipping a step on the way up and walking down...great for glute/ham tie ins.

What I do on a treadmill is set it at a low speed (3.0) on a low incline(level 8 or so),after 5 minutes,I increase both speed and incline and keep repeating this every few minutes until I hit a peak of 15 degrees on the incline with a possible speed of lets say 4.0,then I stay there for a few,back it down slowly (both incline and speed) and stay at about a 10 incline at 3.5 MPH for a bit and just keep repeating this.......if my quads start to burn,I simply back off,and stay at a level and speed that prevents this from happening.

I never run,nor do I use a stationary bike as I feel you must propell yourself by walking not just sitting there moving legs only.

I never do any cardio on leg day as I feel it would be counterproductive and I truly doubt that I would walk for too long without falling down!

If you run,for cardio but are a bodybuilder,just do light jogging or sprints,noit long distance,running is for people who are training for running,noy bodybuilders.

Just my opinion of course.

I also recommend HIIT cardio on an eliptical machine...........no impact on hips,knees,feet,or lowerback...I no longer do it exclusively as I had in the past because I found I lost too much leg size and legs were never a strong point for me,but not for lack of busting ass on leg day!
    Good points Tim as usual , and thanks for the props

Another possible treadmil intensity technique for consideration would be something like...

5 minure warmup starting at level 0 increasing to 3.5 mph level 2 in minute 4, then increase speed to 4.0 mph

Three cycle intensity session as follows, note the speed stays at 4 mph but the level of incline increases so the intensity which is the key increases, as the session progresses...

1 minute at level 2
    1 minute at level 5
    1 minute at level 3
    1 minute at level 6
    1 minute at level 4
    1 minute at level 8
    2 minutes at level 2

1 minute at level 3
    1 minute at level 6
    1 minute at level 4
    1 minute at level 7
    1 minute at level 5
    1 minute at level 9
    2 minutes at level 2

1 minute at level 4
    1 minute at level 7
    1 minute at level 5
    1 minute at level 8
    1 minute at level 6
    1 minute at level 9
    2 minutes at level 5

Then drop the incline by one degree the speed by .5 mph a minute during a 5 minute cool down .

That`ll work.......I often do domething similar,but I usually just go according to how I feel and how my existing energy level is............I always listen to my bodys feedback and adjust things accordingly,but I also always try to remain intense no matter how I feel.

In other words,I may not feel like doing cardio,but I push myself to do it hard anyway,but if I`m truly spent that day,I just go at a good pace,get my heart rate up there and burn some cals,unless it`s close to a show,then I`ll just suck it up,and crank it out!
    Last edited by Timski; June 3rd, 2007 at 06:16 PM.
    Strictly Business

Thank you buddy!!!!

No problem my friend!
    Strictly Business

TIM,

I AM VERY FAMILIAR WITH YOUR PRE CONTEST METHODS BUT I DONT THINK I HAVE EVER HEARD YOU TALK ABOUT NUTRITION WHEN NOT COMPETEING.....SOME GUIDELINES WOULD BE COOL, JUST INTERESTED TO SEE WHAT YOU DO
    2013 NPC MID-ILLINOIS LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP

Adam,I usually eat more red meat,pasta,fruit,dairy products,and whole grain breads.

This year I`m gonna` eat clean just as I would if I was prepping for a show but in larger portions.....also gonna` allow myself one cheat mealk in the middle of the week,and one cheat day on one of the weekend days....in moderate portions of course.

These cheats will be anything I fel like eating..probably pizza or a sub or some fast food.

I`m also gonna` keep cadio in my training in an effort to keep fat gain to a minimum.

In 2004 I took off a year of competing to try to gain more size,stopped cardio,and ate like a pig.....the result was I was much stronger,but looked like shit and felt terrible.

I think/hope the above plan will work much better for me as long as I don`t stray off the diet and eat a lot of junk,which I seldom do,but I have been known to binge here and there!
    Strictly Business

so you dont think cardio, even low intensity, keeps you from making gains?
    2013 NPC MID-ILLINOIS LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast